Reed Mace

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Steve R

Forager
Jan 29, 2007
Lincolnshire UK
I went for a bimble round last Wednesday and came back with, among other things, two Reed Mace heads.

Broke them down to ‘fluff’ and tried some with the firesteel, one strike, WOW! Like throwing a match at petrol (so I am told :eek: ), excellent result, and I have quite a large bag of the ‘fluff’ still to play with :D

My first time ever with Reed Mace and I was impressed.

Edit to add,

I hope 'bimble' means to wander round, I think it does :D

Steve R

Forager
Jan 29, 2007
Lincolnshire UK
Tempted, yes, but was not set up for wading and my mate told me it's deep there, I just reached off the bank and took two heads.

I certainly intend to try them sometime.

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Even when the heads are quite damp on the outside, when broken and teased apart it goes up like no ones business doesn't it? Fantastic pre-tinder.

Matt.

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
rich59 said:
What is some good ways to eat the root?

Once you have gathered the roots and cut off any little stringy bits just treat them as if they were spuds and you'll not go far wrong. They taste pretty good if simply layed in a bed of good embers and left until they smell cooked. Peel off the outer skin and any burned bits and get stuck in. Good tucker!

Osprey

Forager
Nov 21, 2006
Aberdeenshire
My daughter and I spent the weekend clearing the burn that runs past our garden and tidying up the banks. I noticed that a neighbouring farmer had recently cleaned out a pond, and there were a lot of reed-mace roots lying around.
We have planted a lot of the roots to the banks of the burn and hopefullly we will have our own supply of tinder in a couple of years :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE