Reducing bergan bulk and weight - hammocking=bulk

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
ditch the under-quilt (ridiculous bits of gear) and use a kip mat in the hammock instead. If very very cold, maybe stretch to taking some cut-down foil-coated bubble wrap insulation in addition (mountan marathoners use it as a stand-alone kip mat). As you are using a 3m tarp, pitch the hammock low and set the tarp closer down to it, dropping the windward edge - that way you will not be hit by moving air. Sorted.

think you will find that most people already do drop one side of the tarp and alter the configuration to suit the situation/weather,

Kit that may be carried by a mountain marathoners will more then likely not be carried by some of us, as it just does not suit our requirements, and visa-vi.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
An uq and or tq could easily be fashioned into a Kip bag or extra garment like a coat. Defiantly not a one trick pony. Could easily be folded over and used as a Kip mat. Hammocks are colder than the ground due to both moving and still air. If you laid your hammock on the ground, added a uq onto it wouldn't be far off the insulation of a run of the mill mat, IMO.
plus if needed you could just wrap up in it and sleep sat up ;)

roman-soldier

Settler
Mar 7, 2012
colchester
Those vaccum bags are cool and the video showing the compression of a down bag was informative. Thanks lads for your comments, very enlightening.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
absolutely - with only stone and bone tools, wearing buckskin and foraging alng the way.... and goodness only knows what would happen if one used a hybrid tarp/natural shelter - probaly cause some black hole or just end the universe there and then ;-)

Hybrid tarp natural shelter you say?

BCUKshelterinside2.jpg

BCUKshelter2.jpg

Dont seem to remember any rifts in space time, but did cause a ruccus around the 21st of last month :D :rolleyes:

Attachments

• BCUKwagonstick.jpg
    BCUKwagonstick.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 21

roman-soldier

Settler
Mar 7, 2012
colchester
Ideally I would like a UK hammocks UQ but for that price I could buy a Snugpak UQ and TQUILT, the Snugpak seems to Pack small and light, I'm tempted, does anyone have experience of the Snugpak versus the UK Hammocks version? I definitely can't justify £300

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Ideally I would like a UK hammocks UQ but for that price I could buy a Snugpak UQ and TQUILT, the Snugpak seems to Pack small and light, I'm tempted, does anyone have experience of the Snugpak versus the UK Hammocks version? I definitely can't justify £300

Have a look at post #12 :)

Mats' 3 season UQ is a similar rating to the Snugpak, almost a third of the weight and probably packs to half the size without too much effort. But then again it's double the price, if you don't plan on carrying it too far go for the cheaper one. If you do a lot of miles you might regret it one day and end up buying down anyway.
Unless you were on about the sleeping bag? Forget all that if you were :)

It's a dear do for sure, but I just saved up and bought the good stuff when I could. I'd go for the UQ first and then a TQ later if you want one. I just used various sleeping bags with my UQs for a long while.

Last edited:

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Hi guys, Im following this thread closely as I just got my first hammock and tarp for xmas, DD frontline and 3x3 in coyote.

Not actually had them up yet as Im waiting on some suspension bits.

Iv also got the snugpak underquilt which looks and feels like a lovely bit of kit.

But I too am struggling for a top quilt/sleeping bag, I keep coming back to a snugpak Elite 4 which is rated down to minus 15, so for my purposes more than good enough, and being a sleeping bag its multi function.
However, i have slept in a hammock with a beautiful down quilt and it is amazing!!
Uk hammocks do a service where they can transform an old down sleeping bag into a top quilt for £50, they also do down overfill too, which would boost the rating of the bag, according to mat, 100g of 900 fill down would give roughly 5-7 deg c to a sleeping bag. so that may be the best of both worlds, a down top quilt but at synthetic prices.

Another way around it could be to find a sewing machinist locally and give them a pattern and material to make both a top and under quilt?

For me I still cant make up my mind what I want to do!!
Cheers
Steve

Last edited:

roman-soldier

Settler
Mar 7, 2012
colchester
Took the plunge and just bought the UK Hammocks UQ, I didn't like the open ends of the Snugpak, I clinched up the ends of my diy UQ to prevent draughts and worked great. Can't wait to try it out. Now just need a down sleeping bag.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Took the plunge and just bought the UK Hammocks UQ, I didn't like the open ends of the Snugpak, I clinched up the ends of my diy UQ to prevent draughts and worked great. Can't wait to try it out. Now just need a down sleeping bag.

Which one did you get, 2, 3 or 4 season?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
The winter one????

Nice, I have the winter TQ and it's lush :)

Been toying with getting the UQ too but the Speers Snugfit hasn't let me down yet. I had a touch of CBS once at around -10 but put a piece of reflectix under my butt and I was toasty again.

Last edited:

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
I use a down underquilt in combination with a down sleeping bag (used like a top quilt). I like this combo in case I can't find any trees to hang from, and if things get really cold I can use the underquilt as down blanket over the sleeping bag. I tend to user mine when paddling though, when packing the karrimat needed for that eventuality is not as onerous as when backpacking. Even if I'm backpacking though, I'll still carry a short karrimat.

Cheers, Michael.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I recently ordered an UQ in the ukhammocks sale but I have my doubts about it, primarily that if I have a suspension failure, the floor is no longer an option as it would be with a mat.

I had a tree hugger from UK hammocks snap on me on day. It had been used three times and was in good condition.
Matt replaced it in double quick time but it can and does happen.
I have the Snugpak underquilt and find once you have it hung properly is a gem. I do still use a sleepingbag in the hammock but mostly use it like a quilt. Having the dossbag with me still gives me the option of floor dwelling if required.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
In defence of the snugpak uq and tq though, they are fantastic bits of kit. I've used them below -10°C with no problems, and if you're used to carrying a much bigger and heavier doss bag and uq you'll notice a big difference by using the snugpak combo.

However, once you've seen how small a down combo packs down to, and how cosy they are, you may wish that you'd spent the extra.

Cheers, Michael.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE