Redneck SUP

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pastymuncher

Nomad
Apr 21, 2010
The U.K Desert
I fancied a SUP (stand up paddle board) but the prices are silly.
So I picked up a cheap old windsurf board and added an outriggers and an ama, because the windsurf board is narrow and too unstable.

After extensive sea trials yesterday, 3 hours at the beach with the family who all enjoyed playing on it, I'm really pleased with the performance, 5.2mph with moderate paddling effort, and very stable.
The sense of freedom when standing on the water is great.

What this got to do with bushcraft, well I'm going to use it for sea fishing and exploring the coastline and maybe some river cruising.

So if you want a cheap alternative to a canoe have a look out for an old windsurfer

Here's a more traditional version.

http://www.mit.edu/people/robot/lepalepa/

pastymuncher

Nomad
Apr 21, 2010
The U.K Desert
Out this morning, on its first proper voyage!!!!
4 miles along the coast with a friendly seal following along...total bliss

The black blob is the seals head, sorry for the **** poor pic but I had to use the digital zoom and the camera was in a waterproof housing, as is the way with cameras, once I put it away he came a lot closer.:rolleyes:

ittiandro

Aug 18, 2015
Montreal
This is exactly what I'd like to do with my old Mistral Competition which I find way too tippy. Difficult to gibe or tack. But how did you attach the two cross bar supports to the hull? Did you insert housings by glueing them into the hull? Can it be windsurfed like this or just paddled ? Unless you have any... proprietary rights, could you give me some more details about how you did it?

Thanks

Franco

Montreal, Canada

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
wish i'd come up with this idea when i found a windsurfboard....

interesting link, too! i encountered outriggers in east timor in 2002 - one thing which puzzles me is that even on modern versions the outriger was always TIED to the boat- never nailed or screwed... anyone a clue why?!
Why not?
Metal fastenings are not necessarily stronger than cord. A few turns of cord can be much stronger, spreading a load over a wider area.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I think it's that cord will give a little when the waves hit, making everything last longer
Plus they're easy to replace when they break - it's probably to weakest point even if bolted

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Using rope to tie multihulls together - see Wharram Designs as an example - was to build in a degree of flex to the boat - this reduces point loads and apparently makes the boat ride the sea better (go with the flow rather than punching through it..) I had a Wharram Pahi 31 in the past where the crossbeams were lashed to the hulls with rope, and it was very smooth riding in poor conditions (F7 upwards)

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Always fancied a Wharram but although I met him a few times and pored over his catalogues never got round to getting one. The Hitia 17 was the one I really fancied. Paddleboarders, Sit on Top kayakers and free diving foragers do get close to his idea of Sea People and a life centred around the water (even if only on people's holidays).

The conversion is a brilliant idea although I wonder if you could learn to stay upright on the windsurf board alone.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Cracking job and a good solution to your problem. :D I too know the vagaries of trying to take pics of seals, they either pop up just beyond the camera's reach or they pop up right behind you causing you to almost either capsize the kayak or have a heart attack..despite them having those adorable "puppy dog" eyes :lmao:

Rob.

mbuk

May 18, 2015
cardiff
Only just saw this and such a great idea. If anyone fancies trying it, I have an old windsurfer that is free to anyone if they want to give it a shot.

I'm in Cardiff but could may be arrange to meet anyone somewhere.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE