Red squirrel.....bad news...

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
bad news :( that and 100 vews and not a comment eh, typical,

Oh, come on! Don't you know it's far more important to know the differences between 3.5mm cord and 3.6mm cord or whether to get a titanium spork or a stainless steel spork? :rofl:

Back to the serious stuff, not sure how the situation can be resolved tbh. Grey squirrels with pox = a virus with a virus. Doubly difficult.

nodd

Nomad
May 12, 2004
liverpool
The reds on the site where I volunteer are making a comeback after a bout of the squirrel pox virus. I was watching one feeding today and dropping spent pine cones on the landrover.

nodd

Nomad
May 12, 2004
liverpool
The Squirrels where I volunteer use to be fed by the public, this brought more squirrels into close contact with each other on the ground (not natural behavior) it is thought the disease is passed by contact. Now they are not fed they have gone back to spending more time in the trees (their natural habitat and behavior) this means the public have to look for them rather than appearing on demand. A much better situation for the squirrels.

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
I am afraid that I'm not up on Red squirrels and thus can't offer any constructive comment.
What I can offer is a warning to all on the Grey. These little pests will eventually win over lowland Forests regeneration. Fact. Unless serious thought, or as much attention as the reds receive positively, to their eradication, trees that include Oak, Beech and others that are common and a familiar sight on the landscape will simply not be there in the future.
Sorry to put such a negative slant on this thread!
Swyn.

wickerman

May 6, 2010
norfolk
only ever seen a red many many years ago on the isle of wight,it is such a shame the grey tree rats are killing them of,we are in undated with greys this year shot six this week alone alass to late in this part of the world no reds.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
only ever seen a red many many years ago on the isle of wight,it is such a shame the grey tree rats are killing them of,we are in undated with greys this year shot six this week alone alass to late in this part of the world no reds.

Six a week won't really make a dent even if everybody took that many. The usual limit over here (depending on what state) is 12-15 per hunter per day and that doesn't make a dent. I do wish you luck. Hopefully some official agency is taking a small population of Reds into captivity to preserve the specie for re-introduction into the wild at a later date .

wickerman

May 6, 2010
norfolk
Six a week won't really make a dent even if everybody took that many. The usual limit over here (depending on what state) is 12-15 per hunter per day and that doesn't make a dent. I do wish you luck. Hopefully some official agency is taking a small population of Reds into captivity to preserve the specie for re-introduction into the wild at a later date .
i know what you mean i once used to shoot 36 acres of forestry land with two friends,in one year i shot 150 and my friends would have shot about the same,next year they were back in their full numbers again.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE