Red Kites

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Puddock

Nomad
Nov 7, 2010
Dumfries and Galloway
5676797618_fc249f1190_z.jpg

5669284566_fe4f5de32b_z.jpg

3476924462_845eecbd52_z.jpg

I took the above pictures at Bellymack Hill Farm where Red Kites have been congregating since the first year that they were reintroduced to Galloway. This may have been due to the prevailing SW winds which approach the hillside and create updrafts of air, enabling kites to ride the air effortlessly above the hill. The feeding station allows on lookers to get a close firsthand experience of these gregarious birds when they come in to feed.

Red Kites are distinctive because of their forked tail and striking colour - predominantly chestnut red with white patches under the wings and a pale grey head.

They have a wingspan of nearly two metres (about five-and-a-half-feet), but a relatively small body weight of 2 - 3 Ibs.

This means the bird is incredibly agile, and can stay in the air for many hours with hardly a beat of its wings.

Red Kites are neither particularly strong nor aggressive despite being large birds.
Primarily a scavenger and an opportunist; it profits from sheep carrion but is not capable of opening up sheep or lamb carcasses by itself and has to wait until more powerful birds such as ravens or buzzards have made the first inroads before it will attempt to feed.

Red Kites are however predators and take a wide variety of live prey, ranging from earthworms to small mammals, amphibians and birds.

Information from http://www.redkites.co.uk/

Last edited:
E

ex member coconino

Super photos! I enjoyed watching a similar bunch of them last weekend in the Chilterns, though I didn't notice them wearing any of that stylish jewellery.

morch

Native
May 19, 2005
Darlington
Great photos Dan, that feeding station is a great place to view them close up and in so many numbers too

Dave

Dirty Karlos

Forager
Oct 16, 2007
Hull
www.karlholtby.com
Beautiful pictures, thanks for sharing, here's a few I took with limited photographic equipment, i.e. a 200mm lens, the Kites put up a great show at the Argaty Red Kite centre, Doune, Scotland, pop in if you're in the area.

1013796284_JUVxs-L.jpg

13829432_9PMbN

13829432_9PMbN

More here if you're interested clicky.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE