Red deer antler

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
The season when red deer drop their antlers is almost here. When I'm out and about I often find these things but usually pass them by as there is a limit to what I can use. It strikes me, however, that some people might find it useful. Is anyone interested if I find some? It would be a real pain to send a full antler through the post so I would have to charge the postage. What do you think? :rolleyes:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'd be delighted to pay postage for one or even a pair mate - for everything from knapping to staff headpieces!

What a kind offer!

Red

fred gordon

Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Some people are obviously interested so I am making a list and will PM in rotation when/if I get some. This sounds the fairest way to me. :)

AndyW

Nomad
Nov 12, 2006
Essex
I'd love some antler Fred if you should find some.

Please put me down on your list.

Many thanks.

jerv

Forager
Aug 28, 2005
sussex
I'd love one I need a fairly biggish (4 or so points) one to make a cresswellian harpoon replica

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
If I am not to late I would love a piece!

Hard to turn down such an offer

Big thanks :You_Rock_

Chance

Nomad
May 10, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I was out last weekend, and they were still on (antlers on reds). I know that they're meant to drop around Easter : but do your previous years' experience allow you to be more accurate ?
When's a good date to take the kids up on the hill (if we promise to stay away from your patch ?)

fred gordon

Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Chance said:
I was out last weekend, and they were still on (antlers on reds). I know that they're meant to drop around Easter : but do your previous years' experience allow you to be more accurate ?
When's a good date to take the kids up on the hill (if we promise to stay away from your patch ?)
IT does seem to vairy from year to year and area to area. It's also true to say that not all the stags drop their antlers at the same time. I've often seen stags with just one antler, having already dropped one. All you can do is go out and have a look.
Judging by the list I now have I'll be out for ages!! So please be patient if you are on the list. :D

fred gordon

Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I now have 10 people on the list. Can I close it there for a bit as it might be a struggle to get that far! However, I'll do my best. :D

P

Paul Holtom

Should you have a good few finds and a few pieces are still going spare would love to get hold of some. We don't have any Red Deer in Bedfordshire apart from those in Woburn Deer Park and there is no chance of getting any from there, if you step off the footpath a guy normally drives over to have a word.

fred gordon

Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Just a quick update to let you guys know I haven't forgotten about you. I've been out several times but without luck so far. Red deer here seem to be hanging on to their antlers this year. Must know I'm after it.

Chance

Nomad
May 10, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Seen anything yet (Spring 2008) ?
A bloke at work's looking to re-handle a Mora, and I'm trying to avoid raiding my own stock. Again, I promise not to raid your patch; just curious to know when it's worth going out along Deeside.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE