Recycling shoe leather

yomperalex

Nomad
Jan 22, 2011
Reading
hi all

I'm about to throw out a pair of shoes - soles worn out but uppers fine, and a nice leather.

I am thinking of using the leather to make a sheath - my first go at leather work.

Are there any reasons I shouldn't use it? Anything to watch out for or be aware of?

BTW the leather is 2-3mm and soft (a sort of mocassin style shoe rather than dress shoe).

Thanks in advance

Alex

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
As the soles are worn out, I presume that you like(d) them. If that's the case, why not see if you can get them resoled ... and recycle them as a pair of shoes?

yomperalex

Nomad
Jan 22, 2011
Reading
Good call, but they're not a straight sole - one of those "fashionable wavy ones - probably be cheaper to replace than resole.

Alex

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
You might find that the leather does not wet form well; depending on the type of sheath you wish to make this may not be a problem. But as you are not spending money to acquire this leather then just give it a go, you have nothing to lose. Happy crafting!

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
they're not a straight sole - one of those "fashionable wavy ones

The could/should still be viable for a resole ~ it's unlikely that they'd resole like for like though (most likely be a better sole ;) ).

probably be cheaper to replace than resole.

Possibly, but a quote would (probably) be free and you know that these shoes both fit and suit your feet ~ which, in the long term, could be a cost saving if you don't get on with their replacements.

You might guess that I have issues finding comfortable footwear :yikes: .

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
How strange, as I was walking home I was thinking just the same about my leather boots. Please post some pics and let us know how you get on if you give it a go!

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
If you manage to make a sheath from one of the uppers, consider using the other to make something like an archery bracer, or arm guard. There is much historical evidence that shows just that. When a pair of turnshoes were past repairing, the upper would often be used to fashion a bracer to protect the arm from string slap.

Eric

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE