Recycling old washing machines...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rowen

Jul 8, 2004
Derbyshire
Been making these for friends for quite a while, I've always intended to have a go at fixing a coil of copper pipe around the outside with a tap at the bottom and a water container at the top.
Hot water on tap, I'll get round to doing it one day :rolleyes:

Elines all you need is a length of threaded rod the holes are already there, I think I used 10 or 12mm and opened the holes up with a center pop, 2 nuts on either side to lock it in place.

Last edited:

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Here's mine (made from a tumble drier drum, just to be different, and mounted on three bricks)

8391829421_1291535c59_c.jpg
8391826807_dab23c1239_c.jpg

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
The glass from the door is heatproof so is good for making windows in wood burning stoves too.

Colin

Seen Pyrex dishes been used for the same thing and there's loads of sizes to choose from. Not done it myself so can't comment on how well they last without cracking though.

If your looking for a grill mesh to sit on the top then you don't need to look any further than ASDA. I got two for £1.50 each. They are supposed to be cooling trays ... at least that was what the wife told me after I nicked hers from the kitchen :p. Thats why i had to buy two ... one to replace hers and another for me for use on open fires.

Mark W

Dec 29, 2011
Forest of Dean
Some observations, having done several:
  • It's easy to do
  • Never had to make a stand, just take the drive wheel off the axle, and bolt it back on the other way around
  • Some drums are easy to get out, others difficult, one I gave up as it was not worth the effort
  • Some drums have plastic bits inside for better agitation, need to get rid of them if you're using it cooking
  • They burn wood very quickly

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire

Elines all you need is a length of threaded rod the holes are already there, I think I used 10 or 12mm and opened the holes up with a center pop, 2 nuts on either side to lock it in place.

Ok - thanks for that - sounds like even I could do it - metalwork is not something I have ever done/been trained in

Sappy

Forager
Nov 28, 2011
Braemar
I bought a 2nd hand Hotpoint washing machine a few month back, had it for a month and the electronics went on the blink, phoned Hotpoint and for them to send a boy out with a laptop to reset it would cost more than I paid for it.

Been sitting In the back garden for a month or two, so time to make something useful.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE