recycling leather

veryWildbill

Nomad
Aug 15, 2010
west sussex
I want to have a go at making a new sheath for one of my knives, being a bit of a skinflint I dont want to part with any money unless I have to.

My daughter has just retired a pair of riding boots, enough leather in those for a few projects I think.
Does anybody know if boot leather would be workable, or to much hassle.

Over to the more knowledgable amongst you.

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
it should be fine mate, to practice on, and maybe make a sheath for a knife, at the end of the day if it good enough to keep your daughters feet dry, then it will be good enough for a knife sheath.
and i have made a few of thos:eek:

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
how thisck is the leather on the boots, if its over 2 mill it should be fine for a knife sheath, if its 1 mill then its doable, but not ideal.
hope this helps.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
For what it's worth I managed to recycle an old leather school satchel into a number of axe masks, knife sheaths, straps and strops without too much trouble. I find those little spring clamps you can get in pundshops invaluable for holding stuff while I'm working on it.

Dave

Black Sheep

Native
Jun 28, 2007
North Yorkshire
photobucket.com
You'll probably find it's chrome tanned (as most shoes are)not Veg so it will not wet form well.

Also you might find it a bit on the thin side as the leg of the boot is usually thiner (and lined) than the foot/toe. But you could always make it from double thick by gluing two layers together;)

Richard

Last edited:

Black Sheep

Native
Jun 28, 2007
North Yorkshire
photobucket.com
For what it's worth I managed to recycle an old leather school satchel into a number of axe masks, knife sheaths, straps and strops without too much trouble. I find those little spring clamps you can get in pundshops invaluable for holding stuff while I'm working on it.

Dave

Yer I have a box of Bulldog clips in varying sizes for just the same reason.

Richard

birchwood

Nomad
Sep 6, 2011
Kent
Please do not boil or heat the leather, it is extremely bad for it and you will take all the oils out of it ,it will then set like a crisp then crack .
If you want to soften leather to form it , then a little cold water (dont soak just wet it ) then dry naturally, dont dry on a heater.
Good luck with your project.

DanBow

Nomad
Nov 29, 2010
Wrexham, North Wales
Brilliant. I have been wanting to have a go at making a sheath but too much of a tight a**e to part with pennies. Had completely forgotten that I've got an old pair of para boots that the sole has come off sat in my garage. Yay.
As Bob would say 'Can we make it? Yes we can'. Well sort of anyway.

yomperalex

Nomad
Jan 22, 2011
Reading
I made a sheath out of a retired pair of shoes - hard work, but great fun.

Use a fork to mark out stitches (thanks to John Fenna for that tip), an old awl, a tapestry needle and some linen thread.

All you have to lose is some energy and patience.

Alex

Magentus

Settler
Oct 1, 2008
West Midlands
Great idea to use a fork!

I recently dismantled a pair of para's, and so far I've made a belt pouch for my SAK Huntsman and am planning the same for my Svord Peasant. Not pretty enough to show on here, but functional and free.

Go for it, it's very rewarding.

Magentus

mrcairney

Settler
Jun 4, 2011
West Pennine Moors
Brilliant. I have been wanting to have a go at making a sheath but too much of a tight a**e to part with pennies. Had completely forgotten that I've got an old pair of para boots that the sole has come off sat in my garage. Yay.
As Bob would say 'Can we make it? Yes we can'. Well sort of anyway.

I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure army boots are (or at least were) compressed cardboard with thin leather laminate. Is that true folks?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE