Recommended EDUCATIONAL FILMS about the propper classical way of BUSHCRAFT and SURVIVAL

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
That's interesting, @Janne!
You should look up the names and open a special thread about it!
I think the right way is to go via the Latin names and write them in the thread as well, so it's relatively easy to translate it in every other language. Names of wild plants often change theyr local names every hundred kilometers.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
That guy doesnt pack for a bushcraft overnighter, but surely correctly.
:cool2:

Would he use clothing in different colours he would find his stuff easier in the rucksack. I use for example a coyote tan T-Shirt, brown trousers, green shirt, grey merino underwear and so on, and I use as well different coloured nylon bags to keep my stuff in order. My little nylon bags are dry bags themselves. A large Rucksack liner dry bag I use sometimes to double seal my stuff.

Attention, the stuff is historic! Now a days exist a few technical better options!

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin

I pack my stuff a bit different than it is shown here, because I do a lot stealth camping.
If I open the flap of my rucksack I can reach immediatly the dry bag where I carry my sleeping bag in my bivvy bag. Under it is the poncho and the German army folding mat is accessible too.
The rest of my stuff is in seperate dry bags on the ground of my rucksack, just two water bottles and full tang knife are in my outer pouches.

That means in the morning I could put my sleeping bag directly in the rucksack and leave the place within two or three minutes.

Even if you camp with land owners permission it is sensible to pack and keep your stuff always ready to go.
A place for everything and everything in its place!

The equipment which is packed in the following video is listed in a very good article which you can find in this link:
https://paulkirtley.co.uk/2011/bushcraft-camping-equipment/

Last edited:

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
That guy forgot to put a spoon in his rucksack! .:rolleyes:

I always take swimming breefs and one pair of spare socks and one spare T-shirt with me but usually do not take a saw.
Instead of a 3x3m Tarp I use a lighter military poncho.

My equipment is far lighter but equally durable and not really more expensive.
Should somebody be interested in my lightweight bushcraft kit he can ask me of course.

But in my opinion his principles to pack his stuff for a short summer trip are absolutly right.

In my experience only the original Toppits freezer zipp lock bags are tough enough for outdoor use. He shows it but avoids to let us see the name which is printed on the opposite side. In my opinion he should use another 1 litre zipp lock bag for the first aid kit instead of wrapping it in a simple plastic bag.

Another one who forgot his spoon:

If we pack well chosen modern lightweight equipment like it was shown in the last two videos by using a very short packing list, we now a days can easily manage to keep the total weight of our rucksack unter 6 kg !

That keeps the expenses low, allows to hold easily everything in a good order and the weight doesn't torture us when we are hiking.

Last edited:

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
The in my opinion best pocket knife for trekking is the

VICTORINOX COMPACT

Is has every tool included that is usefull for traveling, trekking and camping, has a usable blade size as back up knive and nothing included what wouldn't be needed in the woods.

It is relatively light, very handy and compact.
It is easy to sharpen in the woods.

A needle to open blisters is included and a hook to pull out lightweight tent pegs, a small ball pentel is protected in the scales, and the nail scissors are carried on the person and can't destroy equipment in the rucksack like other nail scissors could do it.

I always carry that knive secured with a 110 cm long cord to my belt.

To take that knife with you on rucksack tours now a days belongs to the classical skills and there isn't any better option in my opinion.

Deep in the woods a larger full tang belt knife with round about 10 cm blade length off course is still recommended for bushcraft tours. But as a second knife this for trekking tours optimised model is surely the best choice.

Experienced persons choose small things like that in orange or red colour, because you can find it on rock, earth and sand as well as in grass or snow.

This knife isn't a throw away article.
For changing a broken main blade for example Victorinox asks currently for 10 €.

Last edited:
Reactions: Billy-o and TLM

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
How to sharpen and use a knife?

This Fjällkniven diamant/ceramic sharpening stone is more or less common sense in international bushcraft circles and used in the following video. If you aren't a samurai you probably don't need more to sharpen your bushcraft knifes.
The Fjällkniven tool works well with the most usual knives with a reasonable blade length.

https://www.knivesandtools.de/de/pt/-fallkniven-diamant-keramischer-schleifstein-dc4.htm

https://youtu.be/pO2vbmdfxuI

This natural sharpening stone is the most popular in France. It is one of the last European natural sharpening stone production.
Probably it isn't working well with very hard hunting knives. It exists in a lighter version too with a black leather sheath, which currently I can't find in the internet. That would be better for the rucksack. It is a bit thinner.
https://laguiole-coutellerie.fr/fr/affutage/295-pierre-affutage-specialelaguiolethiers.html

This little sharpening steel is sold here. Very popular in France, fitting well to the soft Opinel Carbone blades everybody uses there.

https://www.opinel.com/accessoires/affutage/fusil

Last edited:

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
The Opinel No 8 Carbone (only 45g , optimal handle size for adult men, blade length 8,5 cm) and Opinel No 7 Carbone (only 35g, fits better in the pocket, blade length 7,7cm) are the most popular pocket knives in France, perfect for eating and cooking, very well for carving. After the Victorinox they are the most popular folding knifes in the world. And international very popular bushcraft knives too.

(Of cause you can't baton this knives to split wood. You would hurt your fingers like with every other folder.)

If you shorten a bit the blade of the No7, giving it a drop point, it becomes UK legal to carry if you remove the locking ring from it. After becoming a bit used and rusty where it touches the wood it holds very well only by friction too.

NEVER TRUST IN THE BLADE LOCKING MECHANISM OF FOLDING KNIFES!
USE THEM ALWAYS CAREFULLY LIKE A NON LOCKING FRICTION FOLDER !!!

https://www.opinel.com/en/tradition/carbon-steel/n7-carbon

https://www.opinel.com/en/tradition/carbon-steel/n8-carbon

That here isn't a usual idiotic YouTube idea.
It is Grandma's traditional way to sharpen a carbone blade knife in the kitchen. The best results you get with a real porcelain cup or plate without coating at the bottom ring.

Last edited:

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Scandi grind sharpening with an oil stone

How to use hatchet, axe and knife correctly and other bushcraft skills:

Last edited:

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Some more bushcraft skills:

How to choose a bushcraft knife

Last edited:

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Bushcraft on a Budget

Cutting Tools: Bow Saw, Axe and Knives

Fuel and Fire Lighting

Cover: Tarp, Sleeping bag and Woolen Blanket

Military sleeping bags loose insulation ability if they become old, because the plastic fibres break, but they stay as heavy as they had been when they were new. For camping they are OK, but for hiking that is one of the few items that should be bought new. Snugpak offers relatively inexpensive very good oliv green sleeping bags new. Carinthia sleeping bags are another very common high quality option. Ajungilak/Mammuth sleeping bags are very good too and available in olive green as well.
But I prefere sleeping bags with a central zipper in combination with a central zipper in the bivvy bag.

Last edited:
Reactions: Reallybigmonkey1

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Containers:

Bottle, Mug and Pot

Kanteens have to be cleaned at home with boiling water, dishwasching detergent and brush. They should contain exclusively water and have to be stored open if they aren't in use, especially aluminium canteens!

Austrian Army, used aluminium kanteen with used nesting stainless steel mug in new belt--pouch. 20 €.
http://army-warehouse.com/10-servic...-edelstahlbecher-gebraucht-m75-hulle-neu.html

MSR Alpine Stowaway Pot 1,6 Liters
Comfortable size for one person, but works for 2 persons too. 1,1 litres are the better choice for exclusively solo trekking tours.
That pots are relatively heavy, good for camping an canoeing, less good for trekking and hiking.
As mouse proof containers they can be used relatively well as a frying pan and with that multiuse option they are interesting if you don't have to carry them over long distances in the rucksack.

https://www.rei.com/product/601897/msr-alpine-stowaway-pot-16-liters

Last edited:

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Mors Kochanski Pot

https://www.frostriver.com/mors-pot/

Attention! The French army mess kit which is shown in this video has aluminium handles which can melt over a fire!

The German / Austrian army mess kit (Bundeswehr Kochgeschirr) is made with steel handles and in a far better quality. But it doesn't work well with most modern gas stoves. It is constructed to use it over open wood fires.
http://army-warehouse.com/10-servicecard-artikel/70-bh-essgeschirr-oliv-alu-neu.html

The Swedish one works better with gas burners and exists (seldom) in a heavy stainless steel version too.
Nowadays a pot should have the option to use it with every existing gas stove in my opinion.

The Swedish army mess kit is mainly constructed to use it over open fire or with its Trangia spiritus stove. The system is relatively heavy. It can be used with every modern stove too.

TOMSHOO Titanium Pot Set
750ml + 450 ml

(TOAKS Titanium Pots up to 2000 ml.)

That here is currently the best constructed lightweight 1 person titanium pot set for hiking and trekking, in my opinion, and it is relatively cheap.
It fits perfectly in the Sea to Summit 70D dry bag 2 litres (black).

Similar titanium constructions with also bigger volume up to 1600 ml and 2000 ml for 2 persons are offered by TOAKS.

So you cold by this here and additional a hanging 1600 ml Toaks pot if you go sometimes out with a friend or better a 2000 ml Toaks hanging titanium pot if you go regularly out with 2 persons for hiking.

Cheaper Titanium 2 litres pots which you can hang under a tripot over a fire probably exist as well.

Lightweight 2 Persons Kitchen Set

You could combine the Tomshoo 750 ml + 450 ml set with the 1,8 litres Mors Kochanski pot what probably is the best choice for two persons, together with an Austrian Army canteen with canteen cup or a even lighter similar set of bottle and nesting cup made in stainless steel or titanium.
The very light 360 Degrees stainless steel bottle 750 ml in its neoprene cover fits perfectly in the Tomshoo 450 ml cup, so you could buy a second Tomshoo 450 ml cup seperatly, two 360 Degress bottles and you would have a very light, tough, long lasting and versatile 2 persons kitchen equipment with that all together!
In most conditions you would need more water carrying capacity. Usually experienced bushcrafters recommend round about 2 litres water carrying capacity per person.

I recommend to buy only pots that you can hang over a fire! Every thing else is a heavy construction fault in my opion.

Last edited:

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Military Sleep Systems

Current state of the art of sleeping bags for all weather use are military sleep systems which combine a summer sleeping bag and a winter sleeping bag and a bivvy bag to a sleep system for use in extreme cold conditions.

Additional you just need an insulation mat.

They are the most versatile and in the end cheapest option, because you have to buy two sleeping bags but you get three different rated options.

This sleeping bag systems can be used everywhere and no tent is needed.

Additional a military poncho gives enough shelter and comfort in all conditions because the sleep systems are constructed to use them without any additional shelter.

Last edited:

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Snugpak Special Forces Sleep System

The olive green version blends better in the forest and it is far cheaper than the camouflage version!

I didn't see any reason why I should spend the extra money and bought the olive green system.

I choosed it especially because the combination SF1 sleeping bag (1030g) with SF bivvy bag (340g) is outstanding light and compact!

It easily fits together in an 7 litres Ortlieb dry bag. There I carry it water proof in my little summer rucksack, and in the night I just pull it out and throw it on the insulation mat. (German Army folding mat 425g) That together is the lightest and most compact summer sleeping system on the current market which is part of a well working complete military sleep system.

The Snugpak Special Forces Sleep System is made in Britain by using a Swiss made filling.

That is in my opinion the best sleeping bag system on the market for hiking, trekking, stealth camping and bushcraft use.

As a hiking stealth camper I prefere a very light and compact well working system that fits well in a very small rucksack, looking like a daypack for every bodies day hikes.
That is very important for stealth camping in the summer.

Last edited:

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Carinthia Sleep System
German and Austrian Army

Tropen + Defence 4 + Bivvy bag

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
How to lighten the load
Choosing light and compact equipment

I don't really understand why he doesn't use a Defcon 5 Poncho (340g) instead of his lightweight tarp. The poncho can dry on the person while you are hiking and in warm conditions you can let the heavy and bulky water proof rain suit at home.

https://www.defcon5italy.com/en/product/2251/defcon_5_water_poncho__d5-po-02.html

I do not use a poncho liner, but if you want one that fits to this water proof poncho you can get the poncho liner as well. In my opinion it is better to use a summer sleeping bag like the Snugpak SF1 with its bivvy bag and to use the poncho as raincoat and tarp.
But for those who want a correctly fitting poncho liner for the Defcon 5 poncho:
You can find it here!
https://www.defcon5italy.com/en/product/3178/defcon_5_poncho_liner_vest_d5-pl02.html

If I would like to use a down sleeping bag in combination with the Snugpak Special Forces bivvy bag I would go for a sleeping bag with central zipper, because that simply better functions together!

Down sleeping bags are nice to have in warm and dry conditions or in very cold winter conditions where the temperature surely doesnt go up around 0*C. If all stays frozen we have cold-dry conditions.

In hot dry conditions a sand coloured sleeping bag blends well in the dried vegetation. The optimal coulour would be coyote TAN.

So if I would want a down sleeping bag I would go for the lightest Robens Couloir down sleeping bag with central zipper.

But please don't get me wrong!

I prefere to use always and everywhere the Snugpak Special Forces Sleep System, and that is what I recommend to use in usual British, Scandinavian or central European weather conditions!

A very light weight and comfortable trekking air mat that can be used additional to your foam insulation mat which protects bivvy bag and air mat is the Klymit Inertia O-zone in coyote -sand coulour.
This I highly recommend.
You do not get the usual stress with a slipping pillow, because here the pillow is part of the mat and stays where it should stay. You can put it on the ground or on the mat, both options do work very well.
I use it on very stony ground or in cold conditions additional to my German army folding mat.
In the summer in the forest such a mat isn't necessary in my opinion, because the earth in the woods is soft and most times relatively warm if you choose soft ground or better a heap of leaves. I most times leave the air mat at home if I go for hiking and trekking in the woods, just using the foam mat and the rucksack as a pillow!

Air mats do not work so well with sparks from the fire... .;)

https://tacticalgear.com.au/products/klymit-inertia-o-zone-recon-camping-pad-coyote-sand-regular

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE