Recommendations for waterproof trousers - Not MTP/DPM/Camo etc

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ebt.

Nomad
Mar 20, 2012
Brighton, UK
Just a quick one really, can anyone recommend waterproof trousers for hiking/general camp bumming around for <£50.

Im trying to avoid camo, despite the great price/performance of the surplus ones.

If you've got any great ideas I'd love to hear them, along with the reasoning.

Thanks in advance all :)

Last edited:

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
hi have a word with kev at endecotts i think there ca11 ed bdu s in olive regards dave

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I prefer waterproof overs. Easier to replace and cheap.
Last pair i bought was a cheap pair of mountain warehouse ones for about £8 and they are great. Expensive all in one jobs always seem to hot or get ruined in not time bramble bashing.

Kilbith

Tenderfoot
Oct 18, 2013
South West
hello,

I have some expansive waterproof trousers. But, except when you really need them (high mountains, very bad weather...), they are very often too hot for something more than easy walk.

Now, I prefer ordinary trousers in polycotton treated with nikwax + long chaps when you need them (fjallraven chaps or exped).

This is particurlarly useful when you have a long smock/anorak/cagoule since chaps don't cover your bumps (you could also have a sitpad). This combo is good for the forest and flat land, but is not so good in high mountains with lot of wind and driving rains. Chaps could be very light (or not in heavy hard forest like Barbour's one) since you could remove them when you don't need them. No need for expensive goretex since they are open at the crotch and you choose them extra large to put them without removing your boots.

sorry no links no pictures it's not possible for me now.

Last edited:

para106

Jul 24, 2009
scotland
+1 for Berghaus Deluge. I've had 4 or 5 pairs over the years for hiking, dog walking & general use. Wouldn't pay for Goretex jobs. Amazon have some good deals on them - that's where I got my last pair from - £30ish. Actually, PHD had Waterproofs in their Bargain Bin, about £50, if they're anything like the quality of the rest of their kit, they'll be worth a look. Cheers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE