Recommendations for Canvas Rucksack Leather Strap Replacement

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Miggers

Forager
Dec 31, 2006
Oxford
Hi all

I picked up a perfect old DDR rucksack off eBay last week. Excellent size and pocket config. Only downside is that some of the leather straps are cracked and on the way out.

a9e4epe6.jpg

If I had time, skill and materials I would attempt it, but...

Do any of you have experience of any repairers out there or is anyone on here able to help?

Tailwinds, Pete

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Haggis

Nomad
I suppose I'd use the existing straps until they gave up the ghost. After which I'd reckon there are folk who make harnesses for draft horses, and shoe repair folk somewhere close by. Someone in either of these two trades would have access to leather and machines for sewing leather to canvas.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Visit a couple of local charity shops and look for leather belt, handbag or luggage - you won't need long, they always have these things - then find a local old fashioned cobbler and get him to cut the straps needed from what you've bought and stitch them onto
your pack.................This is a really simple thing to do yourself, it requires no skill at all, just copy what's there; and all you'll need is an awl, needle and strong thread and a stanley knife or similar to cut the straps using the old ones as patterns; you may think
it daunting, but it's as easy as falling off a log! (and almost as quick).

Try it and surprise yourself :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE