Recommendations For Base Layer?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

adbirdy

Oct 12, 2005
West Midlands
Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced base layer to go under a Montane / Buffalo smock? I know you aren't really supposed to wear one but I'm not so sure.
Thanks for any help
Ade :)

Mick721

Oct 29, 2012
Sunderland
Shame you've not long since missed out on the aldi special 100% merino wool base layers. Personally I don't think you can go far wrong with a Helly Hansen lifa. Most squaddies swear by them.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
I bought a merino wool base layer on ebay a while ago. It was from a company called 'edz'. It was cheaper than the brand name options and has been working well so far.
It's a shame you weren't looking a few weeks ago when Aldi had them. By far the cheapest around and they work very well.

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
Don't worry too much about your base layer. As long as it is an actual base layer, it fits you, is comfortable and doesn't itch you'll be fine. I've had loads over the years, in lots of different materials and I'd be hard pushed to say which one worked best. All I know is that they all were much more comfortable than a cotton t shirt for any type of strenuous outdoor activity.

The main thing to be wary of is that some manufacturers don't seem to make them for humans; apart from the fact that I caught the obesity few years back, I'm a normal shape, but some of the base layers I've tried on must have been modelled on aliens, or one of the lower primates.

Cheers, Michael.

Inky

Nov 4, 2012
Cambridge
If you want something cheap that works well get down to mountain warehouse they have a variety. In their cycle section the do one that's smooth on the outside and fleece on the inside (lightweight). I've got a few of them, perfect base layer as it doesn't catch on what're you put over the top and about £15.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Otterwear, a poor mans Helly Hanson. I always wore one of these under my buffalo. I the warmer weather with maybe a chilly start, i wore an aldi bamboo t shirt.

Rob

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE