Recommendations for a starter kit.

Sep 23, 2013
Leeds
Hi Guys I'm new to the forum.

Can anyone recommend a good Tarp, bivvy bag & knife. I've had a look around but I'd rather get some advice from the experienced guys.

I'm on a tightish budget too.

Cheers,

Mark.

MertzMan

Settler
Apr 25, 2012
Cambs and Lincs
Welcome to BCUK.

I've used a British Army bivi bag alot in the past. Always worked a treat and I managed to pick mine up for £15 from my local surplus store back in the day. Can't fault it for the price. As for a knife, The Mora clipper in standard or robust has to be a good choice. Can't argue for the price and they're forgiving, pretty easy to keep sharp and you won't cry if you do end up damaging it.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Morning Mark ad welcome to the forum.

Your choice of kit will depend on many things - and the advice you get may need to be skewed in lieu of your requirements and budget restrictions.

Tarps can vary from a builders tarp / old tent flysheet / gazebo cover and up to the latest and greatest lightweight examples. I would recommend that you get something that gives good coverage so that you can have room to work now that we are descending into autumn.

Bivi bags - there are good ones available from Ebay, the old British/Dutch army versions are popular, maybe try Endicotts in Exeter who have a good reputation for supplying Ex-army kit (other suppliers are available).

Knife - any recommendation for a knife on BushcraftUK will bring a tidal wave of replies to buy a Frosts Mora, they are cheap, easy to sharpen and punch well above their weight, you won't go wrong with a Mora.

There is a thread around somewhere about budget kit.

ATB

Ogri the trog

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
Sharps:
Mora HD
Bahco Laplander
Victorinox Huntsman or Farmer

Bivvy - (British) Army surplus or Survival aids if one comes up on ebay
Tarp- DD 3x3 or Tatonka 3x3 which ever one you Can get for the best price.

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
I know it's not what you asked for but, I'm going to mention it anyway; a sheet of mid weight plastic.

Costs nothing weighs little and is quite flexible. You can make a tarp out of it by doubling the edges and trapping a stone in the doubled section and tying onto that by way of a guy attachment etc. I've spent quite a few nights whilst up the hill fishing simply rolling myself up in it in the gear I stood and lying on thick heather for insulation, never felt particularly damp or cold dossing like that, I think being open at both ends helps with ventilation. Perfect for a sheltered wood, the plastic, with a little care, will last a fair few trips.

For low cost cordage, for guys, I've just gotten a new roll of polypropylene 3mm mending twine, 300m for £8.50. Thats a lot of guys, not as fancy as "para cord" and not as nice to tie knots with but a fraction of the cost and it'll do the same job.

I've had several bivi bags in my time and they are great, but if I'm honest it's only when my life depended on it that I really needed one and that wasn't often. One time I was benighted in upper glen nevis in cold torrential rain. I found a boulder offering some shelter just as it was getting dark I then managed to get my then new bivibag out and my fiber-pile sleeping bag into it without getting it too soaked, then my soaked self. Woke in the morning both dry and alive (that was an early gortex bag) I think my trusty plastic sheet wouldn't have worked in those circumstances.

I've a stainless mora knife that I've not long looked out to sharpen, used to get issued these at work it's the model with the finger guard that extends out of the blue handle, I looked it up online and the price was still around £7 but I'd think the thicker 3.5mm carbon "heavy duty" blade would be a better option, but you'd need to stump up and extra £6 as these are £12.99.

So in my opinion there's no need for fancy kit. I would however spend good cash on a quality foam doss mat though, insulating from the ground should be the number one priority.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
You can still get two mora knives on RM's site for £20 and they are better than the standard version.

http://www.raymears.com/Bushcraft_P...-Woodlore-30th-Anniversary-Edition-Pack-of-2/

You can get a cheap sleeping system from..

http://www.britishmilitarysurplus.co.uk/

For £48 you can get a PLCE Sleeping Bag / Bivi Bag / Roll Mat & a Mosquito net

Be hard pressed to find a better price...but still worth looking around..

Best mention I have nothing to do with that website except from being a satisfied customer.. :)

Last edited:

9InchNinja

Settler
Feb 9, 2012
PE1
DD 3x3 tarp
Army issue bivi bag
mora or hulfators

Can't go wrong with that, you'd have the whole lot for £50ish

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Good evening Mark, first thing to do is look around at home and see what you can take with you, pots, pans, eating irons etc.

How experienced a camper are you?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE