recommendations for a large backpack?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
it's nearly seven years since i started my trip around the world; currently i'm in korea again, which feels more and more like a second home for me. i'm still hoping to find a way sto stay long-term (=settle down) here, but it does not look too optimistic right now... . should this fail i'd have to alternatives reg. "what to do" , one would be going for another long walk. unfortunately the backpack i used to haul my belongings around is not in the best shape anymore(stitching coming undone in inaccessible places and the hipbelt breaks apart and wo'nt stay much longer on the pack, either, etc.) and repairing ways too tricky and expensive... . means: i have to search for a new one... .i already had a quick look through this website and through some manufacturer's websites as well, but not all of the brands i'm familiar with ( both "berghaus and "karrimor" are available here, but there might be other/better alternatives; buying online is not my thing- i prefer looking at what i'm planning to buy in a shop... :)) can be found in korea and there might be others i'm not aware of.

the criterias i'm looking for are:
- NOT made by "bergans"- i paid hefty norwegian prices for a product made in vietnam(read: quality should have been better for the money) combined with a lousy customers service...
- can be either of civilian or military background as long as it's in decent colour
-comfortable to wear on long trips on a daily basis
-large volume (i cannot find the model of my current pack on "bergans' " website but it was rated around 100l incl. sidepockets- might be a bit generous...)
-strong material- no flimsy ultralight "clingwrap" ; lot's of my trips were on narrow paths or crosscountry. read: i'm looking for a long-lasting workhorse
-capable of holding at least 35kg (! my usual weight is around 20-25kg incl. the weight of the pack itself, normal gear, several days worth of food, water for one day and my woodbutchering tools- i rather leave my head behind then my tools! from previous walks(the longest one 1month) i know that i can carry this load without trouble!) as i might carry extra gear on a shorter trip- once i carried an inflatable kayak up to a gorge to drift downstream for two days...
-removeable sidepockets with the possibility of storing my axe and parang behind them(to avoid unneccessary attention)

thanks for any advice!

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Don'y really know what brands are available there. But be advised that there are several packs out there that allow you to store/hide tools such as axes, machetes, or what-have-yo behind the pockets even though they aren't removable (they're called tunnel pockets) Most of the US military packs fit this category and they might be available as surplus in Korea:

1. Large ALICE with frame www.armysurplusworld.com/product.asp?ProductID=44945 If you go this route, be sure to get the whole set (large pack, frame, straps, and belt)

2. CFP-90 internal frame (this one was originally designed by Lowe Alpine) www.thefind.com/sports/info-cfp-90-ranger-pack Be advised the second link (for CFP-90) is to a site with commercial packs rather than actual military surplus and I do not vouch for their quality (they just have a better illustration on this site) Go surplus if you can.

Last edited:

Red Five

Jun 3, 2011
Birmingham
I've got a Karrimor Predator 45 + side pouches which makes it 75 litre capacity. Heaviest I've loaded is 20kg but I'm sure that it'll bear more weight than I can! There is the option to put stuff between the side pouches and the main pack, I put my walking poles there (there are small elasticated pouches at the bottom of the sides of the main pack). The side pouches are removeable and are approximately 40cm high and 22cm wide. It's MOLLE compatible on the sides and back of the pack. I've got a 10"x10" MOLLE pouch attached to the back of mine. I'm 5'9" and it's a comfortable fit for my back.

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
Just a thought but I would have thought that there are several disadvantages in certain parts of the world to a white Westerner carrying around what looks like military kit ( Berghaus Vulcan etc ) - I've seen assumptions being made about one's nonexistent military purpose even in this country , such as being a 23 year old with very short hair and a "British" as opposed to Irish accent in Belfast in the early 90s ...

thanks for all the advice so far!

From what you've written, looks like the Berghaus Vulcan ticks all your boxes..:)

at the moment i'm just gathering informations, but what i saw on their website looks good to me. just wonder how much weight it can handle... .

i remember also seeing "lowe" in a shop in seoul , but i'm further south right now and have not noticed them around here. some of their packs got good comments in another thread but for some odd reasons i cannot get their website working to have a more detailed look.....
alice pack and cfp-90 could be a bit tricky to get as army shops are rather rare in korea(i came only one time across one and that was closed...) and i have no contacts to anyone in the military here; as already said: online buying is not my thing... .

my current pack comes in olive green and i had never any trouble so far...

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
thanks for all the advice so far!

at the moment i'm just gathering informations, but what i saw on their website looks good to me. just wonder how much weight it can handle... .

i remember also seeing "lowe" in a shop in seoul , but i'm further south right now and have not noticed them around here. some of their packs got good comments in another thread but for some odd reasons i cannot get their website working to have a more detailed look.....
alice pack and cfp-90 could be a bit tricky to get as army shops are rather rare in korea(i came only one time across one and that was closed...) and i have no contacts to anyone in the military here; as already said: online buying is not my thing... .

my current pack comes in olive green and i had never any trouble so far...

As you say, you may have some trouble souring a good pack without going online. That aside I don't think any pack in OD or a similar shade is going to cause you many problems. Unfortunately the CFP-90 (even if you could find one) is usually only available in camo (or black for the commercial knock offs)

In any case you can probably mitigate the image of any pack by sewing on the appropriate peaceful patches (the ones that you get by visiting/hiking parks, wilderness areas, Mt Fuji, etc.) making it obvious you are a travelor/tourist.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE