recommend route 5-6days

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bigegg

Jan 24, 2012
leeds
Hi.
First post, so <hello> and apologies if this is in the wrong place.
recently retired (at 39!) and looking to spend a lot more time in the wild.

does anyone have any suggestions as to a route that will take me about a week to complete, through reasonably
wild terrain - walking.

I'm looking first of all, at either part of the pennine way, the coast to coast, or west highland way.

Will be going about may/june time.

DanBow

Nomad
Nov 29, 2010
Wrexham, North Wales
Retired at 39!!!!!! I think I don't like you:p.

Oh, hello and welcome to the site. I don't know any routes in that are but I'm sure someone will. Good luck.

atb

Dan

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
how about something in the Lakes? I did an 11 day round based on the book by Tom Calvert IIRC. There is another one written by a local hill farmer. Those might be a bit long but you can always modify them to get what you are looking for.

The Lakes is perfect in that it is all a tight area, beautiful (more so than Scotland IMHO) and wherever you are going you should be able to wildcamp in the fells above the intake wall. As a retired individual you might want to stay longer or might have to cut it short. With the Lakes it is relatively easy to do this and still get out in the wilds.
however I would think the West Highland Way sounds good but having done a bit of it I was not really that impressed as it was all low level. If It was up to me I'd try my own route instead getting higher up. I have done a lot in the Galloway Hills to the southwest of Scotland. It is a tough walking area and very quiet. It is also recognised as a dark skies area so the stars would be amzing if the cloud clears.

If the above is not to your liking then perhaps look at the Lairig Ghru. It is only a two day route from one end ot the other but IIRC there is another Lairig that kind of links back to your start point. One is pass of the Cows and the other is pass of the calves I believe if you translate them. You also have the second highest mountain in the are as well as some of the other top ten in height. Plenty of opportunity to get up high as well as going through those two passes I mentioned which I often think you get a better view of hills passing between them than going over them.

I myself was in Knoydart last year first week in June just rambling where I waanted. Believe it is called stravaigning!!

The year before (also in first week in June) I was walking in Skye. There is a Cameron McNeish walking route IIRC from North of the Island (Durnish peninsula) and ending at Elgol in the south. It goes over the Trotternish Ridge down towars portree then on between the Red and black Cuillins to Loch Coriusk and then on to Elgol. Loch Coriusk is amazing. The Lookout Bothy on Durnish Peninsula is an amazing bothy to stay at. The Camusunary bothy near loch coriusk way is also nice. I think you could do it in 5-6 days If you wanted.

Any ideas sound interesting??

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
Welcome mate. When I did the coast to coast we split it into 2 parts. Took about 5 days to get the the yha at grinton lodge in reeth. Not sure it's as wild ad it was 22 years ago when I did it. But as memory serves me a good walk.

But maybe something north of the boarder might be a bit more challenging for you. West highland way, or part of it? Or even rannock moor.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
hey up bigegg....:)

i have walked some of the Cleveland Way which is very nice, chances to camp at sites or other options too, its 110 miles in total so would make a good 5-7 day walk without rushing it to much... also being close ish to you it would save some money ready for the camp sites if you decide to use any...

i also walked the Pembrokeshire Coastal Path which is (if i remember rightly) 180 miles, we did it in 5 days and its well worth a punt, worth doing it over a bit longer though, we did a few 40 mile days which spoils the views as you dont have so much time....

anyway, welcome and enjoy whatever you do....;)

regards.

chris.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
you can walk from the east to the west coast of Scotland(or vice versa) through the border area's,i cant remember the name of it,but the area has markers a bit like the west highland way,basically Dumfries and Galoway,to Pease Bay i did a very small part of it last year whilst generaly mooching this area.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
That's a tough route the Southern Upland Way. I have done a bit around Glen Trool area as part of a day walk and it is tough terrain I thought. Think I have done parts further east too but can't remember them as well. Think you might need longer to do it than you might think based on the 212 miles. It is supposed to actually be one of our harder trails. Not as hard as the full SW Coastal Path around Cornwall and Devon but still quite hard for the whole thing.

Think TGO mag did an article on it and a gear test too. Did it over 2 weeks IIRC in winter last winter when it was rather cold and snowy everywhere. John Manning did it I believe.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I did a route through the Lairig Ghru over two days from the carpark a little way in from Braemar to the YHA at Aviemore. We camped a little way past the bothy there heading to Aviemore. I would think going up that way then down the other Lairig in the area would make another day. If you parked a tent somewhere and went for one more day walk you could tag in some of the big hills surrounding the Lairig Ghru like Ben Macdhui. We did it form our campsite just under it of an evening on that two dayer. Nearly came a cropper too coming down avoiding a dodgy snow run. We were climbing over boulders the size of mini buses and ocasionally you'd feel one move under you!!! That was with the pleasure of knowing that your mate a little way behind you was coming over that same boulder with you now a few metres below it and in it's likely fall route!! Very funny too since we had all come up there without any gear and the clag came down!!!.

If you do do the Lairig then a nice camp is at the pools of Dee. Avoid the bothy a lot lower down. It gets a bit busy and the dry toilets stink if it is mild!! Plus everyone seems to avoid using the toilet and the area out back is full of toilet paper washed down the hill from various nooks and crannies!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE