Anywhere near Peterborough

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hello there all, I am from Oban in the West Highlands, but live in Peterborough, so just thought I'd ask if anyone living local to here knows of anywhere in the local(ish) area where you are allowed to wild camp and have a fire etc on an overnighter near Peterborough?. Seems that just about every place I've tried around here is Private and not interested. I usually do hikes, wild camping and use some bushchraft skills when I go home to the Highlands on trips and hikes etc over the last 30 plus years, but looking for somewhere local I can keep my hand in between these trips home to the Highlands. I am a big believer in the "Leave NO Trace" policy. Recently hiked the 'Rob Roy Way' for the third time in May 2022 (didn't do any Bushcraft at all that trip) and 'The West Highland Way' in November 2021 for the fourth time. Had some wild fires and made bannocks on the trail. My youngest lad wants to learn so that's another reason I'm looking for somewhere local to here that I can take him and teach him some bushcraft skills once I check it out myself.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
The north Norfolk coast is (in my experience) very forgiving to wild campers. The coastal path and many parts of it are very discreet.

Thetford forest is also somewhere you can get kinda lost in.....

The Norfolk broads is very accessible.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
Thetford forest is very good, big no no to open fires though and get caught doing so one is in deep do do.
north Norfolk coastal path is excellent as is the pedlars way, which link up near Hunstanton, I have done this several times and enjoyed each time. Pedlars way, self supported, mindful there is very little water along the route to replenish!

Lean'n'mean

Settler
Nov 18, 2020
France
Cambridgeshire is pretty tame & unless you can find a permission to " light fires & pratice your bushcraft skills" it would prehaps be better to stick to fen walking & very discreet stealth camping. A stove, not fires. ;) One of my sisters lives in Peterborough & my mother lives in March so I know the area a little. Dog walkers everywhere & what do dog walkers mean ? Yep, phone calls to the police if they see anything suspicious.

Last edited:

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
Please, no fires particularly at this time of year. If you want a fire have one in your very own garden.
‘Nearly Wild Camping’ site may have a spot that suits you. Have a look-see on their site.
What is this thing about having fires? A stove is quick, easy and safe. You leave no trace, run no risk of pi**ing anyone off big-time and you can cook your food quickly and economically.
Just enjoy your over-night be it stealth or permissive.
S

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE