Recommend me a rucksack, please.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Vulpes

Nomad
Nov 30, 2011
Cahulawassee River, Kent
My 12 year old Lichfield rucksack has finally given up the ghost, R.I.P. and I'm looking for something a bit more top notch this time. I need a 35l preferably. Not fussed about pockets, etc, just need a nice big main compartment and some means of attaching extra things to the front and sides. I looked at the Berghaus Munro, but it's a really short backpack and I have a really long torso, so I'm doubtful the hip belt will fit properly. I looked at the 5.11 rush 24 too, but it has no hip belt, rendering it useless for anything but light loads. I'm just looking for something that's reasonably priced and not tacticool junk with lots of compartments and that's a neutral colour, not florescent. Can't afford or wouldn't buy anything like maxpedition, etc either.

Thanks,

V.

garethw

Settler
How about one of these, a Lowe Alpine Strike for £60 its a really good pack.. if you only need 35L, its 40L without the pockets.
I've got the Sting which is bigger, but this in OD is a real bargin... Lowe Apline packs are very well made. Add the pockets and you have a bigger 2-3 day pack.

cheers
Gareth

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
I looked at the Berghaus Munro, but it's a really short backpack and I have a really long torso, so I'm doubtful the hip belt will fit properly.

The 'problem' with daysacks around 30-35 L is most of them will be very short in the back. The problem is if you made a pack in that capacity with a decent back length then the main compartment would be very narrow. As the capacity gets bigger up around 40-45L then the back length extends.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Try looking at climbers or alpine packs. There are many talk and slim sacks like that but might be in fancy, UL, thin and brightly coloured fabrics. Also can be pricey. Think podsacs do something that might be gd. Check out a small company called blue I've. They hail from French alps I think and the sacks in that size range looks ok. Btw I'm 6'5" so always look out for longer backed sacks even if I don't buy. Also Cruz ak 37 comes in 3 back lengths. If it fits you it's a gd sack. Muted colours too, even if you get in red it's a muted red. They look we'll used from new too so none of this new kit look.

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
I'm another 6 1/2 footer so back length is always an issue.
I have a couple of Arc'teryx sacks , one at around 35L and one at around 55L , both bombproof and comfortable to carry all day.Nice streamlined alpine shape too.Expensive new but Rolls-Royce quality.I might part with the smaller one as I need to downsize my kitheap! Also have a nice Deuter 35L climbing pack which is due to go if you are interested.
Both are in good nick although used.PM me for more details if you are interested.
Cheers , Simon

Steve13

Native
May 24, 2008
Bolton
Seconded for the Deuter , I have a Guide 35+ Alpine pack black and grey in colour and plenty of room for a couple of days, plenty of attachment points, but above all comphy enough to use all day and very tough

Vulpes

Nomad
Nov 30, 2011
Cahulawassee River, Kent
Keep looking at the Norrona Roros and considering it because we get discount at Tamarack, but by god, there's next to no information or reviews on it or technical specs other than what's offered from Norrona...Looks like a nice simple pack and the price could be worse, but unless I could try it on and feel it, I wouldn't be convinced. Fat chance of me going up to Lancs at what's most likely a 7 hour drive for me. Oh to be Southern :(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE