Rucksack help needed please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Hello everyone,
Im trying to find a rucksack that fits a criteria , and I'm not sure if it exists...😀

I have a karrimor SF 35 which I love for its comfort and I also have a 5.11 rush24 which I love for the zip that goes all the way around, so you can access the whole load without getting everything out...

Both this bags have pros and cons , I wish the sabre had a zip all around and molle attachments, and/ or I wish the rush24 was more comfortable (eg: padded waist belt).

But actually I need something a little bigger now, just because my little boy is now tagging along (in winter too) so I got more kit to carry ( sleeping systems etc.)

So the karrimor SF 60-80 seems to be the logical choice for comfort and versatility. But no all around zip ...😭.

So I wondered if anyone here had any ideas or tips to help with this search...

Main criteria:

Expandable ( around 60ltr ?)

Colour : dull ( not camo but not bright either)

Comfortable enough to hike in, miles at a time....

Durable and rugged

Compatible with raincovers, and fabsil.

Zip all around for easy access to all the gear.

I thank you all in advance for any ideas and suggestions, much appreciated.

I saw the rush 72 but it's too small and not a great one to hike for miles in, according to some folk...

Any help appreciated, thank you...

Last edited:

andywragg

Forager
Jun 9, 2016
Sheffield UK
A bit mainstream but the Vango Sherpa 65 comes in grey/black. Zipped access to the lower bag with 2 large fixed side pockets.

Personally I'm not a big fan of side zips on rucksacks. Once the zip fails (and seen enough zips to fail in my time - especially the one on my first issued 58 patt down sleeping back back in the 80's - my sleeping bag became a quilt in -10 conditions) the bag is useless.

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/sherpa-65-p149978

There's loads of other 'back packing" rucksacs out there but they tend to be brightly coloured, and are not as durable as a military grade rucksac. They sacrifice durability for weight by using lighter fabrics.

For me the British issue bergan ticks all my boxes. If that's too big Webtex do a 3/4 sized clone that is of decent enough quality. I've got one (for my son) in olive drab. I think these are currently out of production though. You might be able to pick up an OD bergan on ebay for a decent price.

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Have a look at the karrimor sf 45, expandable from 45l to 70l with the addition of the side pockets, these also help greatly in organising and giving access to your gear, much better I find than having just a big main compartment with or without side zip.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Thank you Paulm and Andywragg , I'll look into these...

So is it really the case that there is no Bergen/rucksack that has that zip all the way ?
I might be having a dragon's den moment here, but surely that would be a good product!?!?

Self healing ykk zips , preferably the big ones like the ones you get on the army arctic bag or even just the ones you get on the 5.11 rush24 ...

Hmmm, drawing board again

andywragg

Forager
Jun 9, 2016
Sheffield UK
One other thing to consider is the thickness of the pack.

A lot of the larger Molle type zipped packs are quite thick - the dimension from your back/spine to the front face of the pack, encouraging you to place lots of gear away from your spine. These packs also 'tend' to be quite squat (not much height past the shoulder straps) which means you end up with a lot of weight away from your spine. This leads to quite an uncomfortable carry as the CoG of the pack is always trying to pull you backwards.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
One other thing to consider is the thickness of the pack.

A lot of the larger Molle type zipped packs are quite thick - the dimension from your back/spine to the front face of the pack, encouraging you to place lots of gear away from your spine. These packs also 'tend' to be quite squat (not much height past the shoulder straps) which means you end up with a lot of weight away from your spine. This leads to quite an uncomfortable carry as the CoG of the pack is always trying to pull you backwards.
Indeed , this is the issue that kept coming up, with the rush72... centre of gravity problems etc. , I don't intend to walk a marathon, but somewhere between 3 and 10 mile a day max.
They (molle tac packs) tend to expand sideways and outwards just like you said...
Not very good for the servicemen.

Who are these people designing this stuff, surely the tactical operatives must feel the same way right? I mean these guys and gals walk miles upon miles with heavy loads on their backs day after day... squeezing through narrow gaps and jumping off rocks.
Is it just because their fitness level/ pain threshold beats mine?

I wish there was a vertical narrow 60 ltr pack , with a zip all around and with a few molle attachments on the side.

Hell , its like the holy grail of rucksacks....
I think I'd wear it even if it was pink😂...

Last edited:

andywragg

Forager
Jun 9, 2016
Sheffield UK
Indeed , this is the issue that kept coming up, with the rush72... centre of gravity problems etc. , I don't intend to walk a marathon, but somewhere between 3 and 10 mile a day max.
They (molle tac packs) tend to expand sideways and outwards just like you said...
Not very good for the servicemen.

Who are these people designing this stuff, surely the tactical operatives must feel the same way right? I mean these guys and gals walk miles upon miles with heavy loads on their backs day after day... squeezing through narrow gaps and jumping off rocks.
Is it just because their fitness level/ pain threshold beats mine?

I wish there was a vertical narrow 60 ltr pack , with a zip all around and with a few molle attachments on the side.

Hell , its like the holy grail of rucksacks....
I think I'd wear it even if it was pink��...

It comes down to choice - in the service you use what you get given. Simples. Sometimes it's it's uncomfortable, the rest of the time it breaks your back. Unless you have a very liberal set of NCO's that allow you to use whatever kit you like.

Last edited by a moderator:

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Hahahah faggot kit huh? ��

I couldn't care less if it's Gucci or whatever kit...
I'm not posh mate, all my stuff is either 2nd hand or cheap as chips....

Fair play to the servicemen and women though... just keep on keeping on.

I just thought the military, with the budget of billions of pounds a year ,(UK or USA) would have come up with a really comfortable and practical Bergen ...
Of course not , that money is needed in new weaponry, nuclear deterrents , new luxury items for the generals and other stuff like that....

Anyways thanks for your suggestion, I'll have a closer look at that rucksack you pointed at.
It does sound comfortable.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
I just got one of these. Wisport Zipperfox.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WISPORT-Z...905190?hash=item46406275a6:g:cn8AAOSwgQ9V5GUk

Used it once so far, seems very good and comfortable too. Only 40 litres but plenty of MOLLE straps for extra pockets so could easy get to 60 litre and be very organised. The internal pocket system is really good. Overall the pack is very low profile too unlike a lot of MOLLE packs.
Hey , now we're talking ! This looks just like what I'm after!!! Nice post there buddy thanks for that! I'm having a closer look at this later, cheers.

andywragg

Forager
Jun 9, 2016
Sheffield UK
The kit name calling was just that - anything that wasn't issue was gucci/faggot.

Its actually the reverse - the procurement process looks to spend as little as possible on the troops on the ground (or at least it did - things are a little better now). If your were UKLF TA (signals) like I was (tasked with a UK based defense role) you got the last of the dregs of kit as most of the new stuff went to front line units overseas. I was a recruit in the mid 80's and we got 58 patt webbing. We didn't get PLCE until well past 1990 - in fact we didn't get the green PLCE until after most of the other units had got the new DPM PLCE. I bought the Berghaus Cyclops Roc which was a god send until we got the Gen 1 Green PLCE bergan. I'd still have that pack too if my brother hadn't took it to Reading Festival and left it in his shed for weeks, **** wet through.

andywragg

Forager
Jun 9, 2016
Sheffield UK

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Mate, I just had a little digging online, and these are the mutts nuts hey?
I knew something would turn up, this community is brilliant for that. The hardest impossible question is piece of cake fir you lot! :)

Awesome, yep more pics would be good, but really just want to know how it sits and how comfortable it really is... it's all good looking great and having the zip, but does it feel comfortable?
Im planning a 8 day hike (The Ridgeway) with my 9 year old boy and I know I'll be carrying most of it ... he'l be wanting to carry stuff to but I know his limits.
Any comments or improvements needed on this bag?
The price seems reasonable for what you get ...

I was set on the SF 45 + pockets but this is exactly what I was looking for.
Or so it seems...

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I don't know of one with the zipper going all the way around but the Marine Corps ILBE does seem to make access from all sides a consideration. It has a conventional top loading opening with drawstring an lid plus a zipper access on both sides. It may come in plain coyote brown but I've only ever seen it in USMC Marpat camo.

http://www.armygear.net/ag/store/items/USMC_ILBE_lg.jpg

I'll have a look around for some reviews.

andywragg

Forager
Jun 9, 2016
Sheffield UK
Mate, I just had a little digging online, and these are the mutts nuts hey?
I knew something would turn up, this community is brilliant for that. The hardest impossible question is piece of cake fir you lot! :)

Awesome, yep more pics would be good, but really just want to know how it sits and how comfortable it really is... it's all good looking great and having the zip, but does it feel comfortable?
Im planning a 8 day hike (The Ridgeway) with my 9 year old boy and I know I'll be carrying most of it ... he'l be wanting to carry stuff to but I know his limits.
Any comments or improvements needed on this bag?
The price seems reasonable for what you get ...

I was set on the SF 45 + pockets but this is exactly what I was looking for.
Or so it seems...

Mate - an 8 day hike with you as the primary load carrier for 2 pax, that bag will be no where near big enough unless you have car support between bivvy/camping points, or you'll be wearing the same socks and undies day after day.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Here's one review. Be advised though that at the end he mistakenly tells the audience you can find it by searching for "ILBE Assault pack. This is the main pack and not the assault pack which is basically a smaller day pack that attaches to the main pack. He also spends a great deal of the review on the optional bag liner. https://youtu.be/THYVe3EBk5g

Here's the official USMC training film for Generation II. The pack shown in this video is plain coyote brown https://youtu.be/FemRN3y8Wv4 Used or surplus packs will usually be already assembled.

As you'll see, the pack is adjustable for torso size. It's also now more affordable than the first, older video states.

Last edited:

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Andywragg

Hahahah, I know what you mean.
I'll have the mrs drop us off on day 1 , day 3 she'l drop off some more food (and water if we need it) , day six same again and day 9 we'lbe picked up at around midway through the Ridgeway.
The beauty of this route is that even though is relatively remote, there are road links in almost every town on the way...thus making pitstops easier.

The oldest road in Britain.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ridgeway

Nevertheless, if I do get this bag I'll be also getting 2x 10 ltr. side pouches for extra space, bringing me to the 60ltr .

Problem is not so much weight but volume...

To be honest , we don't intend to go the whole way (87miles) , we just want to see how far we get ...giving me and the little one some time to practice our Bushcraft skills. :)
We're aiming halfway 40 miles or so.. that's about 5 miles a day...but it might be a little too much...the little one would be fine , I'll be best for dead...😂

We'l see

Thank you for all the responses! Awesome community

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Sorry about the wrong lings in previous posts. They've been corrected and the videos are now shown properly.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
I don't know of one with the zipper going all the way around but the Marine Corps ILBE does seem to make access from all sides a consideration. It has a conventional top loading opening with drawstring an lid plus a zipper access on both sides. It may come in plain coyote brown but I've only ever seen it in USMC Marpat camo.

http://www.armygear.net/ag/store/items/USMC_ILBE_lg.jpg

I'll have a look around for some reviews.
Santaman , thanks man , but can't see the picture.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE