Recommend me a heavy weight mountain military fleece

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

original45

Feb 22, 2012
west midlands
Been looking for a thick heavy weight fleece ,few types on fleebay but sure.
French mountain fleece ,austrian mountain fleece and a NATO fleece .
All say mountain fleece but no info on how thick
What do I look for
Anyone have any they can recommend.
Problem also seems sizes I'm about a 56 chest so ideas on size appreciated .
Pretty much just to wear alone or under gortex over jacket.

Thanks again

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Have you looked at the Helly Hansen dutch army fleece, always popular and toasty warm

Last edited:

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
I agree with Rich I think the HH is the best surplus fleece on the market. However unless your on a really tight budget I would look at the kit made for the military market rather than the actual issue stuff.

Kit like Buffalo, Montane & Snugpak easily outperform issue tops but you also have to pay for the quality.

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
+1 for HH! Pure luxury; on my second in 24 years but still have a soft spot for my buffalo

Sent from my hidey hole using Tapatalk... sssh!

original45

Feb 22, 2012
west midlands
I agree with Rich I think the HH is the best surplus fleece on the market. However unless your on a really tight budget I would look at the kit made for the military market rather than the actual issue stuff.

Kit like Buffalo, Montane & Snugpak easily outperform issue tops but you also have to pay for the quality.

Thank you I will have a look at the better generation of army gear none issue .
I did see snug pack but wasn't sure how good it was.
I'm not clued up on such gear but guessed military gear from colder climate countries is decent.
Just managed to sort myself a austrian gortex jacket , I think the new generation type .
In a 60" luckily

Thank you all for clue'ing me up

Last edited:

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
Fleece lined buffalo type shirts are issued 56(120) is a rare size. I wear a 180/112 for comfort, although 104 is just right, good luck with sizing. Softy jackets are still issued, still a good layer under any goretex jacket.

Good hunting, post an pic of your final choice please.

Mike8472

Jul 28, 2009
west yorkshire
I have the us issue polartec fleece (black pic) and a belgian army issue fleece (which is made by the same company that makes the french army one, green pic).
Both are very thick and warm. The french/belgian ones have a very tight waist band which is a little uncomfortable until it is stretched with wear.
The us fleece sizing is on the generous side.
the frence/belgian is a bit tighter/ more fitted cut.

Attachments

• 2982.1.jpg
    2982.1.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 51
  • 215658_ts.jpg
    215658_ts.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

original45

Feb 22, 2012
west midlands
Yes Mike thank you,the green is what I've seen both with,without extra elbow pads .
I saw on fleebay these advertised as both French and austrian however I've seen better type austrian fleece that has layers of 3 providing different abilitees I think one being water repellancey .
I like the snugpack too very nice if used as underjacket layer but fleece still looks tempting.
Snugpack come up a size bigger I read too .
The more I look the more I see theirs some fantastic gear out their

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
If a thick fleece is right for you, so be it. However, I've got 2 Lowe Alpine Aleutian fleeces from years back, which are both pretty thick (300). I got them in the Ellis Brigham half price sales back in 2000, and they seemed like a great deal. Frankly, I can't wear the 1/4 zip pullover, its just too hot, and even the full zip jacket is a bit too warm, although OK by itself on a cold day. If your layering with a shell layer, you are going to roast if your walking around.

The year after I bought the LA's, I got a TNF Genesis 200 full zip fleece from the same source - used it for over a decade with no problems. Nice to wear by itself in most conditions, and good for layering. Something like thats a lot more flexible, and there is the advantage of being able to try them out in any hiking shop, with a fair range of sizes. Someone like Cotswold should have both 200 & 300 jackets, so you can at least see whats right for you.

The things I find about buying surplus is what you think is grade 1 is not their idea of grade 1, your possibly paying over the odds for basically green second hand clothes, and your buying something you've only seen in a picture. Endicotts does still have the HH fleeces http://www.endicotts.co.uk/componen...dutch-army-forest-green--1253-detail?Itemid=0 - but ring them for sizes.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
May be not very heavy weight but I have the dutch fibre pile jacket and the Brit issue 90's green fleese and the brit one is warmer and nice to wear in cold weather.

original45

Feb 22, 2012
west midlands
Still not decided which as yet, I do like the snugpack sleeka original ,great reviews recommendations too. Fleece wise some I don't like the big ruffled cuffs and hem like the French ones so not decided but the advice from the thread has been very usefull.
And provided wider selection.

original45

Feb 22, 2012
west midlands
After much thought I have purchased the original snug pack sleeka jacket .
Managed to see one 35£ in as new so I'm looking forward to testing it's properties .
Seems their versatile enough which ever way it's used ,jacket,under jacket warmer,light small .
See how it goes when it arrives .

original45

Feb 22, 2012
west midlands
A little feedback on my Snugpack sleeka.
Well it arrived safely, I gave it a wash on a 30 cool wash ,followed by a treatment of nikwax tec wash by hand ,rinse spin and tumble dry on coolest setting.

Trying it on for size it's an xxl original and fits fantastically ,these are oversize as people report in lots of posts. So I guess it's true you can possibly look a size smaller than normal. They look very very well stitched and put together,pockets are deep and insulated both sides.

I think the collar could do with a inch or two higher so it can be bought up around mouth height but just a preference for me I like my fleeces such.
Plenty long enough .

As for its warmth I wore it all day yesterday which was not really cold but I would have needid a jacket or fleece and to be fair I had to unzip it as I did get hotter than I wanted to be.

Now I read its water repellant , what I noted was after wash only water came out of garment easily ,however after cold water and nikwax treatment to rinse it you could see a massive differance .
The water inside the jacket filled the bottom of jacket like a ballon so I took greater care removing water before a spin and dryer for about 20 mins .

Basically I am impressed very much ,thank you to those who made me aware of this product I'm chuffed for sure.
My only gripe the stuff sack never came with it but I guess I'm going to wear it a lot in any case.

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
Buffalo are great. The Snugpak version isn't as good IMHO - I've had both and found the Snugpak more bulky and less comfortable. Add a Montane fleece hood if you can find one - they're better than the Buffalo model.

If you just want a camping fleece, the HH are good. For pub and camping (but not fires), the Rab Boulder is smart and functional.

My tuppence :)

All the best.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE