Recommend me a good cobbler?

As above
can anyone recommend me a good cobbler?
i have a pair of boots that fill 90% of my criteria for ideal footwear
apart from the crepe sole ( i feel they may have made a mistake typing the decription it needs an A in there....)
i want to replace the crepe soles with a decent Vibram or similar sole and wondered if anyone knew of a reputable and decent priced cobbler i could deal with?
thanks in advance

para106

Jul 24, 2009
scotland
I use my local Timpsons & have been pleasantly surprised by how good they are. Needed a new 'Commando' type sole on a pair of Loakes & they did the job very well - stitched & glued. I think it depends on who'se running the shop, the guy in Kirkcaldy seems to enjoy a bit of a challenge rather than just the usual run of the mill stuff. Still charged £40odd quid - but cheaper than a new pair though. Good luck.

Silverclaws

Forager
Jul 23, 2009
Plymouth, Devon
Cobblers are only for the rich now, for me they have quoted themselves out of business following several quotes to resole a pair of DMS combat boots, like a minimum of £55, little used surplus boots of the same type grade 1 are £30. Last year the quote was near £30 to resole now, forget it, up to twice the cost just out of my budget and you might find the same too. But, Timsons is expensive, they were my most expensive quote, but perhaps best to find independent cobbler and give him the trade rather than an expensive chain.

I would have liked my old boots resoled, seeing that they were issued to me in '89 and they have been all over the world, but it seems we are forced live in a throw away society by ridiculous prices.

Last edited:
Hi all,
might be a bit late with this one,but there is a cobblers shop in kendal cumbria.When i was a kid it was owned by an old man.The guy who has it now, as worked there since he left school.I know this because i went to school with him.He left the year before i did and that was in 1970. What i am trying to say is, if he has lasted this long he must be doing something right.The shop is called cobbler John The phone number is 01539 733336.Might be worth giving them a bell.The shop is in the part of town called Kirkland. hope this helps.
Regards Chris.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
If you aren't sorted yet, I drive past one in Westbury, Wiltshire. He is a diamond, does resole and heal for £20 odd and knows his stuff.

If you send me pics I could show him and ask for a quote?

Richard

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE