Recommend me a cheap bushcraft course

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

chris_irwin

Nomad
Jul 10, 2007
oxfordshire
Hello, after watching Ray Mears for the last year or so and recently Bear Grylls. I have started to think more about trying it out myself so I've bought a little bit of kit and tried a few things out. But i really need to go on a survival course to get the foundations in place so i can progress myself. However they are all ridiculously expensive and i just don't have the money to pay £150 for a 1 day course or £200 for a 2 day one. Can anyone recommend me a good foundation bushcraft course that won't break the bank please. Thanks a lot

combatblade1

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 1, 2007
"I won't have a Spydi"
Im going on my first one near the end of this month so i cant recommend any yet but what i have found out is that if you are after tips and help this site has more advice and help from its members than you could shake a stick at, ive been on for only about a month now and if you want help just ask these folks are only to willing to give assistance. Its then up to you to have a go and as for courses they have the bushmoot costs a lot less than any course (id be there this year myself but cant make it prior commitments) and im sure you will learn as much!!!
:D :D :D

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Depends where you live and what you want. I went on one of these Bushcraft courses last year and, although it is very basic, thoroughly enjoyed it. I also think the prices are realistic. Look at www.anamcara.org
I've no connection with them. I just think they offer value for money.:D

chris_irwin

Nomad
Jul 10, 2007
oxfordshire
i live in Oxfordshire if that helps. I would love to go to bushmoot but unfortunately im working pretty much the whole summer holidays. And i don't mind if its as basic as it comes. All i really want is a few basic survival skills, fire by friction ( i know its not really basic but its kind of the foundation), collecting water, maybe a few natural foods, that sort of thing

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Hello, after watching Ray Mears for the last year or so and recently Bear Grylls. I have started to think more about trying it out myself so I've bought a little bit of kit and tried a few things out. But i really need to go on a survival course to get the foundations in place so i can progress myself. However they are all ridiculously expensive and i just don't have the money to pay £150 for a 1 day course or £200 for a 2 day one. Can anyone recommend me a good foundation bushcraft course that won't break the bank please. Thanks a lot
Can you get to the moot? I went on a course last year, and found that it was great to get out and camp under the stars with like-minded people.
The moot I feel/hope, will be like a five-day long introduction to basic skills with advanced and intermediate bushcrafting skills thrown in for free.

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
Hi Chris,

If you look at the quick links on the left of the screen mate there is one called resources links, there's a list of companies who run courses. Hope that helps a bit

Brian

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
Thats OK Chris,
I've done a course with Woodland Survival Crafts and another with Wild live over here in NI, both recommended, I learnt a lot on both and had a very good time.

Brian

Joff

Forager
Jul 31, 2005
Somerset
Bushbasics in Surrey are very good value. They do a really good weekend introduction and are very competitively priced.

Joff

leon-1

You could try either Forest Knights or Bison Bushcraft I think that you will be well served by either course.

I cannot claim to have no connection to either school as Wayne is a friend and I know how hard he worked to set up the school and Bison Bushcraft my brother works for and I know Roger Harrington, but I have attended Rogers basic course and it is very good. Both courses are around the £180 and both courses the meals are in on the cost.

If I stuck by the rules and didn't say anything I wouldn't be able to say much about any of the schools as I know a lot of the instructors and owners.

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Chris, just bare in mind that just because something is cheap it doesn't mean its good value for money.

If you want to learn go to a school that has a good reputation for what they teach. Spending an extra £50 may mean the difference between a wasted weekend and money or actually learning something.

Find out what the student:instructor ratio is. Find out the course outline and be sure it covers what you want to learn. Look on here for reviews or ask for advice about a specific school.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
The best course is to visit the school listings page here

Find out which schools are near to you (so you don’t spend a chunk of your budget travelling)

browse their websites and find out as much about them as you can. Then call them up and ask them any remaining questions you have and get a feel for how helpful and customer friendly they are. When you have your short list of chosen schools, ask for the opinions of those who have been on courses with those schools here on the forum.

With all this you should be able to narrow it down to one name that will make the best of your budget.

chris_irwin

Nomad
Jul 10, 2007
oxfordshire
Chris, just bare in mind that just because something is cheap it doesn't mean its good value for money.

If you want to learn go to a school that has a good reputation for what they teach. Spending an extra £50 may mean the difference between a wasted weekend and money or actually learning something.

Find out what the student:instructor ratio is. Find out the course outline and be sure it covers what you want to learn. Look on here for reviews or ask for advice about a specific school.

i appreciate this but i simply don't have the money to be choosy, it's either go with a reasonably cheaply priced one, or not start bushcraft for a year or 2

I'm thinking of the Wildside introduction to buscraft course. Only £70, which is reasonable. Anyone know what their like?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE