Recommend a kayak?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Can't remember the name of the model but a touring kayak was actually its biggest UK seller a few years ago despite Dagger being a big name at the time in whitewater boats. It seems touring kayaks still sell a lot and in light of that I think a kayak was your best option. There are a lot of proponents for open canoe but IMHO if your mates were using kayaks then that is what would be best for you. A novice in an open canoe on open water just screams disaster or a newbie being put off the activity. A good touring kayak with a strong sea kayak influence is my preference for a bit of estuary / river boat. If doing overnighters or longer trips they will often have the capacity you need. Little considerations such as a tent that packs small with short pole sections so it will go into the hatches. Oval hatches are good too. Of course a tarp packs smaller anyway so less of a problem.

IMHO canoes are less efficient than a kayak where you can recruit your legs and back into your stroke to get more power and efficiency per stroke. Besides, two blades good one blade bad! ;) Seriously though not eveyone has the same needs and canoes are good for bulky carries especially on lakes or flat rivers. I would seriously recommend canoes for that use but for a novice in open water a closed cockpit of a decked kayak is more practical and safer. A good tourer these days can carry a lot too. Also a touring kayak should have the tracking and length to allow a good touring speed too especially for a wooden top (my old canoe club nickname for a kayaker who is new to it and is all stiff and not relaxed and going with the motion of the boat and water).

That's another good call, join a canoe club. Not all are mad whitewater paddlers and especially down your neck of the woods I'd have thought a lot are tourers. You can learn to paddle safely and in the presence of a good social group that will include characters and some very experienced people who you will learn from even if it nearly kills you (talking about whitewater with that last comment from experience). Although if your mates are long time paddlers it is likely that they were once in a club and can probably instruct you in the skills needed. It is a good activity kayaking and canoeing. I really must get into it again this winter.

Too late for you as you have made your purchase but good info in case someone finds this thread for info later on.

Bush Matt

Tenderfoot
Jul 29, 2009
New Forest
Hi Paul, not sure if you spotted the post half waydown? I actually bought a perception acadia which is described as a day tourer and seems to match very closely with what you have suggested. Had it in the water briefly but hoping to have more time this long weekend.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Hi Matt I had spotted but I posted in case others read the post later on for similar answers. Although to late for you I do find myself and others do sometimes search forums for past asnwers to questions. Can be hard to find answers so a lot just repeat questions but sooner or later some old-timer will link the old thread in (I know from other forums this happens and you often end up with 4 year old threads being brought back from the dead to provide answers to newer members). I know I'm a newbie on here but on other forums I am now on 2500+ posts, it is funny how that total has creeps up.

BTW Perception are a good make so you should have no trouble with it. A good boat and very much like the Dagger one (could be the Carolina). I'm afraid I'm a WW man myself, nothing better than throwing my body around a set of waterfalls and rapids in the blind faith that I have the skills necessary to survive. Of course I have been semi-retired for about 6-8 years on account of cowardice (my mates were getting into looney tunes stuff such as the Lakes upper Esk sections so I decided to choose life). Perhaps I'll take up touring now.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE