recipes for bread/cake

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ozymandias

Aug 18, 2006
cheltenham
hey, firstly i'm a new member, just finished uni, going to sandhurst in january and getting into the idea of bushcraft as a natural progression from one of my fave passtimes, walking.

i was wondering if anyone has any good recipes for some kind of trail cake/bread thing, possibly including dried fruits or nuts honey etc, because id love to dump the snickers and other shop bought bits i usually take with me on a walk. thanks for any help/pointers/links anyone can give me

Cap'n Badger

Maker
Jul 18, 2006
Port o' Cardiff
Firstly...welcomes matey........King of Kings eh ;) ...........use the search facility an' type in 'bannock' mate.........good stuff....bin makin' it on the hoof fer ages......good fer when ye 'gathers' on yer way while yer walkin'

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Welcome aboard ozzy, I have looked on your works and despaired ;)

Back to the question, as Capn B says bannock is a "cook on the go" food. As for cook in advance, any sort of fruitcake is good, me I'm a debn buy originally so why not scones

SCONES.

8 oz self raising flour
2oz marg or butter
2oz sugar
1/4 pint of milk,

Sieve flour into a bowl, cut marg or butter into small pieces, rub together to form a breadcrumb like mix. add the sugar,
and mix. Add the milk or water to the mix, mix with a fork to form a dough. Put the dough onto a floured table and roll to approx 1 inch thick. Cut out scones using a pastry cutter and place onto a baking tray. Rest for 15 minutes, then place in oven. gas reg 7, 425 f 220 c for 10 to 15 minutes.

You can add fruit, cheese or what have you

Plenty more recipes ifn you want em...we aren't savages you know ;)

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
American cornbread is nice too - sort of muffiny - good camp oven stuff too

1 cup flour
1/4 cup cornmeal
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup milk
2 eggs
1/3 cup honey
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick or 1/4 cup) butter, margerine, shortening, bacon fat, oil, etc. melted.

preheat oven (works great in dutch oven!) to 425.
Grease 8" pan.
Mix dry ingredients.
Mix wet ingredients.
Add wet ingredients, beat just until mixed. You want this kind of lumpy.
Spread evenly into the pan and bake until golden brown - about 20 minutes.

I like cornbread because it is totally flexible.
Don't have eggs? add more milk.
Want to add some whole kernel corn? substitute it for some of the liquid.
Don't have flour? Use more cornmeal.
Don't have honey? use sugar. Don't have sugar? omit it.
etc.

Often the cornbread batter is poured into an oiled preheated cast iron skillet, in which it is baked. This gives it a nice crispy crust like in a dutch oven.

Try the recipe then add your own personal mods. Try adding some coarsely shredded or cubed cheddar, or spicing it up with diced jalepeno.

Serve warm with butter or jam or honey - hard to beat.

The only thing tricky is cornmeal...but it is available form the "finest" area is Sainsbury's (meant for making your own tortillas but its cornmeal!)

Red

ozymandias

Aug 18, 2006
cheltenham
so does bannock hold together well in a pack? its just that i've found that lots of cakes etc fall apart or are shaken to bits in a bergen. i usually use biscuits fruit from army rat packs that i've saved from OTC but running out of those.

incidentally, biscuits fruit are amazing. anyone who hasn't tried some should get some pronto, though i suppose most of the people around here have already tried it.

outdoorgirl

Sep 25, 2004
nr Minehead
One of the best trail foods I use is home made flapjack - you can adapt the recipe to fit any flavours or textures you like, from basic plain flapjacks to a more 'cake' style with cinnamon, nuts and raisins or sultanas, or a 'tropical' version with dried mango, peach, apricot, or pineapple - whatever takes your fancy.

I'll post a couple of my fave recipes if you fancy it - it's a doddle to make, and doesn't matter if it breaks up a little in the bag, although if you make a stickier version, it'll hold together better.

ODG

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
ODG, Me an the capn both mate - please post away (Tony - hows about a recipe section somehwere?)

Ozzy. The point of bannock is pretty much to dry mix the ingredients, mix a dough with water and bake in your fire embers when you get there. Its stupidly simple. You can also make pancakes from the same mix. Happy to send you my recipe, but the sit is covered in em

Red

outdoorgirl

Sep 25, 2004
nr Minehead
Well, I've never tried making this on the trail, but it shouldn't be a problem. The recipes are:

Basic flapjacks

250g butter
125g golden syrup
150g sugar
350g oats

OR:
Fruit and nut flapjack cake

250g butter
125g golden syrup
100g sugar
400g oats
50g walnuts (crushed)
50g currants
1tsp mixed spice

Basically, you melt the butter and stir in the rest of the ingredients - if you can keep it warm and stir it for ten minutes or so, it can help make it stickier. Pour into a non-stick tray (7"x11") and bake for around 25 minutes at 190C.

If you press the mixture down, it will make the results harder and crunchier - don't and you get a softer consistency, more chewy or crumbly depending on how sticky the mixture was. It's up to you how you like them - experiment and see what's best for you.

I've used both of these recipes as rations on training rides (cycle rides 40 to 60 miles) as well as just treats and they are great!

ODG

Reactions: Toddy

Mad Mike

Nomad
Nov 25, 2005
Maidstone
nice one outdoorgirl

as you say add almost anything you like
I like chopped brazil nuts in mine

(Don't mention chocolate coating)

OutBackP

Jul 5, 2006
Bridport, Dorset
I just made a peanut slice today pack lunch for the next week.

1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter
2 tablespoons honey
4 cups rice crispys
1 cup coconut
1 small cup peanuts chopped

boild sugar, butter, honey for 5 mins then addand mix remaining ingredients quickly before toffe sets. press into a greased baking tray and leave to set. Use damp hands to press down and cut before into servings before set.

Recipes from an Australian book "Viv Moon's Outdoor Cookbook" I also can give you the recipe for damper an ozy bread.

ozymandias

Aug 18, 2006
cheltenham
Red, ah i get the bannock thing now- so you save on weight AND get fresh stuff when you stop-what a good idea, this forum is amazing. might see if i can cook it on a hexy or gas stove successfully, and if you can, it's coming on my next hike on dartmoor-as you can't use open fires up there...nothing much to burn anyway.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Ozzy,

You can mix bannock into a batter and cook it like a pankcake, bake it like bread, or pan cook a sort of naan with it

bannockug2.jpg

pancakesca4.jpg

Try spearing a suasage on a green stick, getting it fairly cooked over embers and then coating the outside with bannock dough and baking - instant sausage roll.

There are a few things to burn on the moor (say the whole of Fernworthy forest ;) ), but you are right about it not being the place for fires

Plenty of recipes around, but I'll happily send some of mine if you want em

Red

Cap'n Badger

Maker
Jul 18, 2006
Port o' Cardiff
:eek: Damn that first one looks tasty!!........(Homer type drool)...... :lmao:
ODG.....done three diff types o' yer flapjacky thing....1 standard-1 dried friut-1 tropical fruit mix (the best!!..most popular that one!!)......your an instant hit wi' me mates....an' me missus...(tho she grumbled at the fact she was SUPPOSED t' be on a diet...lol)..thanx! :You_Rock_

Nigel

Forager
Dec 6, 2003
Carmarthenshire
British Red,

The bannock looks good, the pancakes look a bit like drop scones, or scotch pancakes, I think probably similar ingredients. Welsh cakes are a good one to try, a little more prep but worth while, and you don’t need an oven.

ATB
Nigel

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Nigel,

Thats a good description as it happens - its the same bannock mix as the wild cherry bannock - just with a duck egg thrown into the mix. Never tried welsh cakes - got a recipe there mate?

Red

Nigel

Forager
Dec 6, 2003
Carmarthenshire
Hi Red,

Try this.

Welsh Cakes.

This will make about 50 cakes.

450g / 1lb Self-raising flour
Pinch of salt
125g / 4oz Lard
125g / 4oz margarine
175 g / 6oz granulated sugar
50 g / 2oz currants
1 beaten egg
3 tablespoons milk.
A little lard to grease pan.

1. Sift flour & salt into a bowl.
2. Rub in lard and margarine (at this stage you need the mix to resemble fine bread crumbs)
3. Add sugar & currants.
4. Mix to the consistency of pastry dough with beaten egg and milk (gradually add milk, you don’t want the mix to be to wet)
5. Roll out on a floured board till they are about ¼ inch thick, use a scone cutter to cut out. (a standard baked bin tin or similar will do for this)
6. Heat a Griddle, heavy based frying pan or something similar. ( I have used a hot stone placed in a bed of hot embers, care must be taken as I have had a few shatter. Also a muurikka is pretty good for cooking them on) grease the pan lightly and start cooking.
You do not want them to cook to quickly as they just burn on the outside, cook slowly until golden brown. You can eat hot or cold and they are nice dipped in sugar. I do some times sub in butter instead of lard, but you need to keep the mix pretty cool as the mix gets very greasy.

If you got any questions ask away
Good Luck

ATB
Nigel

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE