recent Leather work (Pic Heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mikethescout

Tenderfoot
Aug 13, 2009
swindon
Mini Flask
DSCF2004.jpg

DSCF2006.jpg

Mini Tankard
DSCF2008.jpg

DSCF2011.jpg

New Crook Sheath
DSCF2013.jpg

DSCF2014.jpg

DSCF2015.jpg

Draw Knife Sheath
this the the prototype made from scraps. As soon as i get some more leather ill make a final vertion..,
DSCF2016.jpg

DSCF2017.jpg

DSCF2018-1.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

Mike

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
LOL I dont believe it. I have spent the latter part of this afternoon sewing up a miniture leather bottle. I made some sloe gin and hought I needed a little hip flask to carry a portion when I am out....I read Eric's posts about leather bottle making and decided to try a scaled down version. I am about to soak it and use probably rice to mould it out. How did you mould yours?
Nice work cheers Jonathan:)

mikethescout

Tenderfoot
Aug 13, 2009
swindon
LOL I dont believe it. I have spent the latter part of this afternoon sewing up a miniture leather bottle. I made some sloe gin and hought I needed a little hip flask to carry a portion when I am out....I read Eric's posts about leather bottle making and decided to try a scaled down version. I am about to soak it and use probably rice to mould it out. How did you mould yours?
Nice work cheers Jonathan:)

haha nice! I used torn up plastic bags for mine. What are you planning on lining it with? I though sloe gin would eat its way through bee's wax?

Good work I like it.
The spoon knife sheath is especially neat.goodjob

Thnaks brancho, I did make a larger sheaf before this one, but i think i prefure this one.

Mike

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
LOL It probaly wont be in their long enough to dissolve the wax...:D If you were out for just a few hours would that be long enough to damage the wax? I could understand if you used the flask to store the gin for long periods of time?
Any way I''ll try the wax at least. I used rice to do mine, and a champagne cork for the stopper. The veg leather has worked very well, its about 75% dry now. I'll post a picture when its done.
Cheers Jonathan :)

mikethescout

Tenderfoot
Aug 13, 2009
swindon
Haha okay then :p. I havent thought about a stopper really yet.. I need to get some wax to cover the inside of it first... ah well :)

Mike

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
Sloe gin, whisky, brandy or any other strong spirit will NOT dissolve or damage beeswax. The only liquid that will do that is Coca-Cola, or Pepsi. Remember to get the wax fairly hot, but not boiling, and soak the leather until the bubbles stop. That way you will ensure the leather is completely soaked and the wax has penetrated right through both the grain and flesh sides.

Eric

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Sloe gin, whisky, brandy or any other strong spirit will NOT dissolve or damage beeswax. The only liquid that will do that is Coca-Cola, or Pepsi. Remember to get the wax fairly hot, but not boiling, and soak the leather until the bubbles stop. That way you will ensure the leather is completely soaked and the wax has penetrated right through both the grain and flesh sides.

Eric

Thanks Eric. PS your bottle tutorial was extremely useful when I made my 2. I am planning another with a wooden neck, set into the leather vessell in much the same way an antlerknife sheath is made with the leather collar on the antler case, with the formed ridges in the wood. I have some elm which would be nice for that. It might even be possible to thread the neck and stopper and use a leather washer, although beech would be better for that
Coke dissolves tooth enamel too :eek: Wonderful stuff......

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE