Recent carving

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Thought id put a few pics up of some of the stuff ive been tinkering with of late;

First up, Owl book marks inspired by Neil's (Greencraft) latest video on YouTube, i also added a Fox

20190904_170507 by Mark Emery, on Flickr

Then made some more in the form Foxes & Wolves

bookmarks by Mark Emery, on Flickr

Made some wooden hooks from Willow and added some Willow cordage to them

20190909_095251 by Mark Emery, on Flickr

Next came coat and tea towel hooks

20190910_170750 by Mark Emery, on Flickr

20190915_102433 by Mark Emery, on Flickr

Then last couple of days i've been messing around with permanent pot hangers, first one is nice and simple, just two holes drilled at an angle in a green Hazel stick, then a couple of pieces of dry Hazel were whittled down to form a tenon and inserted into the hole, the idea being as the green stick dried it would shrink and grip the tenons, but being impatient, i decided to wedge the back of the tenons today instead, the small Hazel wedge is held in with a spot of wood glue.

20190916_164204 by Mark Emery, on Flickr

20190916_164225 by Mark Emery, on Flickr

This one is a bit different, the whole thing was carved with a pocket knife (TBS Boar), the only other tool i used was the awl on a SAK to make the pin hole for the retaining pins. The lower hook was a forked branch which was whittled down and formed a square tenon which goes through the hole in the end of the stick and is the retained by the Hazel pin on rear, the top at the moment just has a stick and two pins as i've run out of suitable forked sticks for the time being.

20190916_164254 by Mark Emery, on Flickr

20190916_164356 by Mark Emery, on Flickr

20190916_164302 by Mark Emery, on Flickr

20190916_164308 by Mark Emery, on Flickr

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I think there needs to be a "what's stopping you " thread for carving. Your work looks so good and, forgive me for saying this, looks within the realms of a novice to attempt. Obviously, it's not and you can see your skill is by far above that of a novice.

I guess these pieces are a good example of work for a newbie to aspire to. Something more interesting than carving spoons.

Reactions: Kepis

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I think there needs to be a "what's stopping you " thread for carving. Your work looks so good and, forgive me for saying this, looks within the realms of a novice to attempt. Obviously, it's not and you can see your skill is by far above that of a novice.

I guess these pieces are a good example of work for a newbie to aspire to. Something more interesting than carving spoons.

Thanks Paul,

All of these are fairly easy to do and well within the realms of anyone who wants to have a go at carving, the tenoned pot hanger takes a little more effort and precision, but is still easy to do, im concentrating on small stuff at the moment, A) because i have far too many spoons at the moment, but mainly because the small cuts and slightly more delicate carving and cordage spinning are helping to recover the strength and dexterity in my hands and arms after illness.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I really don't know what is stopping me trying it, fear perhaps? Cuts and making a mess of it, where to get good wood and what tools I need.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE