reccomendations for a tent light please

philipb

Forager
Feb 20, 2016
wales
I have had quite a few over the years but all have been very cheap

I now need a new one and before I buy another cheep led thing are there any suggestions for something that works really well

philipb

Forager
Feb 20, 2016
wales
TeeDee thanks for the link you mention 3 lights in your post. out of the 3 what did you like best

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and up trees)
We have the Black Diamond Voyager in our tipi and it kicks out plenty of light for such a large space. Yet it packs down very small and, with rechargeable batteries, lasts a pretty long time.

Nice65

Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I keep seeing this thread title and thinking 'my Vango Banshee is fairly light for a large one man tent.' Doh!

Alpkit lanterns are supposed to be good, but no personal experience.

Philster

Settler
Jun 8, 2014
Poole, Dorset
I use Poundland LED christmas lights - take an AA battery and last forever. They put out a really nice amount of light and you can rig them up in many ways. Can't go wrong for a pound!!

Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
I like those little lights that you can get in go outdoors (and sometimes in Aldi). They look like light bulbs, require just one AA battery and only cost about £4 I find they're plenty bright enough for a small tent and last a decent amount of time on the one battery

FlashPan

Forager
Sep 7, 2015
Norf London
I've bought a couple of these and mightly impressed:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Porta...hash=item41b6110e69:m:m-u_9LnKluNocOcnoc6XU6A

(mine was cheaper than this so look around).

Pros:
Uses a mobile phone type battery and holds charge for very long time (one I bought I left it for 4 months in the box...still had a big charge)
Micro USB - little solar panel picks up even faded light well or you can use a power bank.
Good hanging hook.
Very bright, can also use like a torch
Very long charging lead

Cons:
Not very flat
Battery is not get-at-able (you can break in to the unit though)
No charge level indicator
Solar panel is not waterproof (easy self modification though)

I cannot remember the charging time but still not a worry I reckon

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
I managed to buy an ex display one of these for less than half price. I am pleased with that and I will post a review after I can test it out
Interested in your take as I have the green one and although bright and interestingly designed it discharges completely when stored for any length of time.

K