Reccomend a travel mug

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Putting on my Xmas list

Needs to be

Aluminium

secure top

handle

Restrained design.

What do you use? I dont want a bit of `bamboo` tat.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Contigo Byron. 450ml stainless steel but secure top and work well. About £12.

Why aluminium?

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
More data please ;)

Looking around, I am not sure that you will find much if anything that meets all those specifications; aluminium, secure top (which is quite open to interpretation), handle (also open to wide interpretation), for travel (meaning light, or easy to pack, or...???). While it might seen obvious, I think that people use mugs for travelling for different things and without knowing what you want the mug to do, what the reason is behind the spec, you will get a very wide range of suggestions which may not match your needs.

For instance, double wall vs single wall...do you want to be able to cook in the mug, or do you want the mug to act like a Thermos for carrying and keeping hot drinks hot? Is the weight/bulk of the mug important for packing or carrying? Are you just going to use the mug to drink out of, or do you want to eat from it, or use it for washing, or for carrying drinks around and sipping on the go? Is a secure lid water tight or just something that doesn't fall off?

Personally, I would not consider double wall, tall, handle-less, screw top designs such as the Contigo to be travel mugs since they don't do any of the things I want a mug to do when I am travelling...but that is clearly what they are sold as and what some people buy them for, so everyone is different.

I don't have a mug such as you describe and since I have two different Scandinavian plastic cups and a Snowpeak 900 pot...hard to justify anything else. If I did, and money was no object, a Vargo BOT 700 would be very nice. This would definitely be my definition of a travel mug.
https://www.vargooutdoors.com/bot-700.html

The Helikon Camp Cup would also qualify, although its lid is not screw down or water tight, it is a lot cheaper. I like everything else I have from Helikon, so would be happy to give this a try.
https://www.military1st.co.uk/tk-ccp-al-19-helikon-camp-cup-grey.html

Reactions: Erbswurst

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
Contigo Byron. 450ml stainless steel but secure top and work well. About £12.

Why aluminium?

Yep, got to agree with the Contigo Byron. It's the only one i've had (and i've had many) that is easy to use, doesn't leak and keeps drink hot for ages and for only £12! Best themal mug ive had!!

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I've always used a good bottle with a leak-proof spigot top and the lid to serve as a small cup.
I use a big Aladdin and a Stanley. No-name travel mugs. Cute little 500 ml bottle that's never leaked.

Fancy travel mugs for coffee that drooled and dribbled got the 70mph toss out the truck window into the ditch.

I looked over the selection in a big grocery store yesterday = the usual brands which I expect.
Thermos, Aladdin, Stanley. Bottles ($25 - $60) and travel mugs (most about $30).

My choices developed by attrition, not by references. Your considerations won't match mine.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
If you want to drink a hot tea out of an aluminium cup you will burn your lips.

Or you wait until both is cold.

There is nothing in between.

Aluminium Cups are WW 2 equipment, cheap to produce, good enough for the common soldier.

Now a days everybody who wants a cup for traveling uses plastic, stainless steel or titanium.

So, if you tell us what you want, we can tell you our recommendations.

You will not get so many recommendations for aluminium cups, that's for sure.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Personally, I would not consider double wall, tall, handle-less, screw top designs such as the Contigo to be travel mugs since they don't do any of the things I want a mug to do when I am travelling...but that is clearly what they are sold as and what some people buy them for, so everyone is different.

My take on this that is the recommendation is for what are sold as travel mugs. A container to hold liquid in a warm state for an extended period of time while travelling or during work time without spilling. Some have sliding openings to drink from and therefore cannot be put in a bag and taken off to work etc. The Contigo has a pop top that forms a decent seal so won’t spill liquid. It keeps the drink hot during the travel even for long periods, and where it should be, in the mug. Only leak I had from the Contigo was from not preheating the mug properly with boiling water and quickly chucking it in my work bag. Heat expansion squeezed a small amount out.

What I don’t see is it being used as a billy can or standard camping mug, or a ton of cash being spent on it either. Rather too much is being read into what I think is a fairly simple request.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Have a look at the camalbak forge mugs. Had one for ages (and just bought another from go outdoors as they are very cheep now). Robust, spill proof, have a means to attach to a belt, and keeps my coffee very hot for over 4 hrs (in theory that is, it never actually lasts that long).

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Have a look at the camalbak forge mugs. Had one for ages (and just bought another from go outdoors as they are very cheep now). Robust, spill proof, have a means to attach to a belt, and keeps my coffee very hot for over 4 hrs (in theory that is, it never actually lasts that long).
Plus one for the forge. Go for the stainless inside though. I’ve been using mine for 3-4 years

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
What do you want?
A double wall car cup or a bushcraft cup or whatever?

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
This stainless one from Thermos is the one I have. It holds 16 ounce and will keep it hot for about 6 hours or cold for about 9 (with ice) It comes with or without a handle and in various colors (mine is blue) and even the spill proof lid is insulated.

61W7AGZp%2BdL._SX679_.jpg

About $18 on Amazon. Just search Amazon for Thermos tumblers.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE