Re waterproofing?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jimmy Bojangles

Forager
Sep 10, 2011
Derbyshire
Hi all

just after some advice, I rarely wear waterproofs so I've had a cheapo Regatta jacket and trouser set that have done all I need for the last couple of years. The only thing is the jacket seems now to have lost ALL waterproofing, I hate throwing stuff away and just wondered if something like Nicwax could rewaterproof it (while keeping it breathable) or if I need to bin it and invest in some goretex.

cheers

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Has the coating started to crack or peel on the inside layer? If so, it's a futile effort. The best you can hope for is a water resistant windproof with some water repellent like Nikwax TX Direct.

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
I would buy another cheap Regatta jacket if you don't wear waterproofs a lot. As Teepee says, if it was some kind of coated or membrane fabric in the old one you'll never get it properly waterproof again. I reckon Goretex is over-rated, several of the other systems are just as good in my pinion and you don't pay for the name.

Jimmy Bojangles

Forager
Sep 10, 2011
Derbyshire
Cheers chaps, it's almost as if it's never had a coating no evidence of peeling or cracking, it's now just a light weight nylon jacket with all the waterproofing of a pair of tights, so I think a new jacket is the answer, I'm very tempted by the 3-1 Dutch jacket mentioned in the thread by bushcraftkid in another thread.

thanks

Juv2112

Tenderfoot
Jul 8, 2014
West Wales
I would buy another cheap Regatta jacket if you don't wear waterproofs a lot. As Teepee says, if it was some kind of coated or membrane fabric in the old one you'll never get it properly waterproof again. I reckon Goretex is over-rated, several of the other systems are just as good in my pinion and you don't pay for the name.
+1 This

IMO goretex is a highly successful exercise in marketing. I have used softshells and a pacamac for years on the hills, costs less than forty pounds all in. It can get sweaty wearing the pacamac but I can live with that.

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
+1 This

IMO goretex is a highly successful exercise in marketing. I have used softshells and a pacamac for years on the hills, costs less than forty pounds all in. It can get sweaty wearing the pacamac but I can live with that.

In UK conditions it's very difficult to get something that keeps out all of the water from the outside but doesn't make you sweaty on the inside. The nearest I've found is Paramo.

KevStorr

Apr 10, 2011
Near Burton Upon Trent
Paramo has proved to be the best I've used. More importantly for me is it's silent nature.

However I do love my old olive sas smock. Not fully waterproof but good in most conditions.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE