Re-handled Mora and first time sheath

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mick miller

Jan 4, 2008
Herts.
Okay, so I was given an old set of antlers, a set that had been left to grey and weather on a hunting lodge, complete with mold and and bird poop. I thought once I had cleaned most of the muck off I'd have a some useful material, not so, I had to remove much of the surface until I was left with clean, but smooth material.

I wanted to replace the plastic handle on my Mora with a section of the cleaned antler. I did this by first grinding and sawing off the plastic, after which I cut the tip of the tang into a point, ready to be driven into the antler.

The antler body had a small pilot hole drilled into it and was then left to soak in a tub of water for 24 hours to soften the pith. Once it was soft enough I used a clamp to drive the tang into the antler handle, a block of wood on the tip of the knife prevented any damage.

Of course this did mean that the old plastic sheath no longer fitted, I had asked a couple of folk whether they'd be able to make a sheath for me from leather, for a cash incentive of course. Sadly, both were/ are quite busy at the moment and so I thought I may as well give it a go myself.

A phone call to Le Prevo and £100 later I was armed with a shoulder of veg tan, several tools and some dye and wax polish. I read through a couple of articles on the British Blade forum, read through a couple of internet posts and set to creating a card template ready to cut my first sheath.

To cut a long story short, here's the results.

sheath1

1). Knife in the sheath.

sheath2

2). Knife and sheath.

I have to say it was a lot easier than I imagined (although there is much room for improvement) and I've since managed a pouch for my DC5 and small sharpening steel which sits on my belt, a pouch for my SAK whittler that sits on my belt and of course the belt itself!

What a great way to spend a few dark, wet, cold winters evenings! I'm now making a template to fit my Clipper and will also make one for my brother for chrimbo! Sheath-tastic!

mick miller

Jan 4, 2008
Herts.
Thanks Kerne, see my questions on your post regarding embossing, mind you perhaps I should learn to 'walk before running' eh?

mick miller

Jan 4, 2008
Herts.
Thanks for that John, I found it quite tricky to avoid marking the surface of the wet leather with fingernails etc. You can see a few marks and scratches already but I guess it'll gather a nice patina over time anyhow. But for a first attempt I was really pleased. I followed that double swept shape I've seen on some of the work posted on here. I really like that. The wet moulding creates a lovely fitted feel too, with a satisfying clunk as the knife is pushed home.

God knows how you lot manage all that fancy embossed work? I'll be wondering at that for some time to come I reckon.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
God knows how you lot manage all that fancy embossed work? I'll be wondering at that for some time to come I reckon.

My embossing kit comprises - some old forks with bent tines to give a line parallel to the edge on the leather - one tine is bent down to act as an edge guide the other/others are the ones that emboss the wet leather.
- some embossing dies/stamps I picked up second hand from a lady in Barnardos
- some boxwood dies I carved myself
- some nail head dies - file your design into a nailhead!

A hammer for hitting the dies.... a ruler, an awl from a pound shop a stitch guide made from a plastic embroidery pattern transfer wheel -20p, some hammer punches, from a pound shop......

For a dark leather stain - get some malt vinegar (like you have on your chips), an empty coffeee jar and a handfull of wire wool.
Put the wire wool and vinegar in the jar and let it rot for a good long time, until the mix is realy not a lot more than rust...
Paint the liqid onto Veg tan and the leather turns darker as if by magic!
Actually it is the iron oxide reacting with the tanins....I think! The intensity of colour varies from hide to hide and on how rich the brew you made is.
My latest brew is VERY STRONG and the leather turns almost black
Polish with brown boot polish for "Dark Brown" or black polish for "Black"......

mick miller

Jan 4, 2008
Herts.
Some great ideas there John, and cash saving ones to boot. I'm liking the idea of using a fork to create regular impressions in the wet leather.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE