Re handled Martindale Machete

warthog1981

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Fife
I recently picked up a couple of Martindale Machetes :D
And I thought Id have a bash at re handling them so I did one and its now got a brown canvas micarta Handle :D Which is very very comfy in the hand
Here's a few pictures

P7050206.jpg

The top ones got the new handle :D

P7050212.jpg

P7050213.jpg

Standard handle needs work but still usable

P7050207.jpg

my new one :D

I,ll mod the other one when I get the time :rolleyes:

Cheers Russ

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
What an improvement :approve: Nice one Russ :cool:

The other side of the rivets on the original handle were as rough as a badger's situpon. It also had a groove all round where it overhung the metal; guaranteed blisters. Shame too it's a good useful blade and at a very good price.

Much better tool now though :D

atb,
M

ForgeCorvus

Nomad
Oct 27, 2007
norfolk
Where you get them from? (and how much)
I'm in need of a new weed whacker

That standard handle is just too massive (unless you got hands like shovels), nice job on the mod.....you change the blade profile and outline any?

warthog1981

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Fife
Where you get them from? (and how much)
I'm in need of a new weed whacker

That standard handle is just too massive (unless you got hands like shovels), nice job on the mod.....you change the blade profile and outline any?

Try hunting around your local Agricultural supply shops :D
That's where I picked mine up ;)
And there not expensive Think I paid under a £10 each normally the handles need a bit of work but there a good way to spend a few hours. And you will need to make them a decent sheath to as they normally dont come with one or if they do there not up to much.
I'm planning on putting a few more pictures up when I get around to modding the handle of the other one to let folks see how I do it :D

I just extended the grind a little down the blade and Tided up the edge a little all done with files doesn't take long. The out lines a little more user friendly now to used a grinder and a flapper disc to do that and shape most of the Micarta handle to :D

Cheers Russ

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Good job there, looks much more elegant.

Now....

Lets see you rehandle THIS
warthog.jpg

I love that picture , you're looking mighty pleased with yourself!

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Could I ask, what is micarta? Is it easy to obtain? What are its properties that make it useful for tool handles?

Micarta is lots of layers of material(like canvas,linen..)glued together under pressure.When set it can be cut and polished.

Widely available.

warthog1981

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Fife
Good job there, looks much more elegant.

Now....

Lets see you rehandle THIS
warthog.jpg

I love that picture , you're looking mighty pleased with yourself!

Funny you should say that Im picking up some new spear shafts this weekend :D
It was a lovely pole arm thats in the picture :D nice solid feel to it :cool:

Cheers Russ

warthog1981

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Fife
launditch1 Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey P
Could I ask, what is micarta? Is it easy to obtain? What are its properties that make it useful for tool handles?

Micarta is lots of layers of material(like canvas,linen..)glued together under pressure.When set it can be cut and polished.

Widely available. [/QUOTE]

Exactly what launditch1 said :D

It give you a really good solid handle which doesn't swell or warp and its nice and grippy if you dont Polish it to much :D

Cheers Russ

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE