Re-evaluating your kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I was just wondering if, in the face of all of this unusually wet weather this year, anyone has had to re-evaluate the kit that they normally use or carry. I just used my normally winter-use cloak for walking the dog tonight, instead of my summer jacket, because it is too warm for my winter coat and too wet for the jacket.

Anyone else been rethinking?

yeah i have been rethinking towards an Ark
now the serious answer, yes-zippo for fire lighting, clothing wise i'm using my german paraboots as they are the most waterproof i have, ventile jacket is currently being debated between that and a gore tex one.
shelter wise i usually use a poncho in summer but using a 3x3 DD tarp as i want dry space to live in that you dont get with a poncho

ReamviThantos

Native
Jun 13, 2010
Bury St. Edmunds
Good post. Yes constantly evaluating the kit and carry, my kit seems to work carry army lighweight and Norrona recon trousers,Swazi tahr jacket and lightweight snug pack poncho for either showers or monsoon conditions - covered.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Anyone else been rethinking?

Nope.........I've got a more cowboy-ish approach than a technical one in that I've got minimal gear & it has to deal with all weathers & conditions.....On my gravestone I think I'll have inscribed...'I was often too hot but rarely too cold, sometimes damp but never wet'...:rolleyes:

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
No, I have my kit as adapted to this country as I can, everything is water proofed when in the bergan, I always carry a full set of gortex(jacket and trousers) always use a bivvie bag and a synthetic bag(Buffalo 4s outer in spring summer autumn and an issue arctic bag in autumn winter spring) and a tarp, I plan for being able to cope with the weather we mostly get, warm, sun, windy, cold, humid, dry and all in the rain, in fact the only two bits of kit that change are my sleeping bag and I may add a pair of shorts:D

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I try to re-evaluate constantly - even if it proves that the kit I'm using is still up to the task and need no maintenance.

I'm also a recent convert to Zippo's for fire lighting but I am dismayed by the longevity of the fuel (even if the lighter itself is unused).

Of course the largest obstacle is that of available cash - it often comes down to "make-do, and mend" rather than "Buy new Gucci kit!"

ATB

Ogri the trog

NetFrog

Forager
Jul 17, 2011
Scotland
Having camped and walked for 2 nights over the weekend with extremely wrinkly sore feet and I considering a set of wellies.

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
been buying kit for 2 years unable to use most of it being cooped up. now ill be testing it all this summer it will either be great kit or absolutely naff :lmao: i do try and make sure every single item is as versatile as possible but ye just never know!

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Using a lot of vintage gear.
My best move has been to cut the cotton lining from my wax jacket making FAr less sweaty, lighter and great arond thorns and near fire!
No waterproff liner of ANY sort in my boots, just good quality leather.
Cheers.
Chris.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
As has been said this summer is presenting a new challenge - warm and very wet. If you dress to be protected from the rain you are too warm and if you don't you get wet. A couple of times I have gone out expecting rain which did not arrive and I sweltered.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE