Razor Clams

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

smallholder

Tenderfoot
Oct 6, 2009
Cornwall
Something i have always wanted to do is find some Razor Clams i live a close to Perranporth with its fantastic beach in Cornwall and there must be some here or close by. I have looked for Razor Clams and their holes but to be honest i don't know what to look for.

Any pointers of what to look for, size and shape of the holes and the salt water mix. Any help must appreciated mainly to stop me looking anymore of an idiot than normal.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
The holes are about the size of a new ten pence piece and round, pour neat table salt into the hole and wait for it to pop up. Grab it gently and ease it out, it'll pull but will come out

SteveW

Forager
Dec 10, 2006
Launceston,Cornwall
If you can catch the right one, John Wright does a river cottage bites program that gets repeated fairly often. Only eight minutes or so each program, but the razor clam one has some very good info on finding and catching them without breaking the little gits. The programs are worth a record anyway if you have the chance.

Andy T

Settler
Sep 8, 2010
Stoke on Trent.
Have a look for holes that are more tear drop shaped than round, they are easy to spot once you found a couple ......and if you have the chance pop along to helford passage there are lots there, as regards wearing gloves, i wouldnt make it a priority, i never have and i havent had any trouble.if you need more help there are loads of videos on you tube showing you how.

SMOKOE

Forager
Mar 9, 2007
Stoke-on-Trent, Staffs
I went to Southport recently and whilst walking along the pier with the kids there seemed to be hundreds of razor shells over the beach.
Has anyone any experience of collecting them there ?

Cyclingrelf

Mod
Mod
Jul 15, 2005
Penzance, Cornwall
What Andy T says - the ones I've seen, the holes are more keyhole shaped than round. You might see little spray craters in the sand around the hole as though lots of small droplets of water have landed around it.
Tip on loads of salt and wait. The first thing to show will be a slippery fleshy protrusion - there is no way you're gonna hang on to that, so wait a bit longer. Grab it when you can see a little bit of shell to hang on to.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE