Ray's Bannocks!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Hi,

The phone rang in the middle of last nights (28.4.05) Ray Mears, Doh! Does anyone remember his Bannock recipe? I've tried a few and so far they've been nasty!

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Umm, I may be wrong but I think it was......2 parts flour, 1 part dried milk. In the one last night he added some dried egg, sugar and dried fruit....

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
Any suggestions as to the amount of water Tone?

I would imagine that it would be measured ad-hoc, based on when the dough looked right.

Bannocks are now DEFINATELY on the menu for the demo backwoods camp I'm doing next weekend, and I'd like to get some practice in at the weekend.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
I would imagine that it would be measured ad-hoc, based on when the dough looked right.
Yep :)

Add the water a little at a time and mix in well... the dough should be sticky enough to bind to a stick but not too gloopy that it falls off. ... ie you can form it into a shape and it will stay there, not deform.

If you end up with a load of gloop you can either add more flour etc or fry the gloop like canadian pan cakes.

:)
Ed

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I know this recipe works. :)

6 cups flour
1 cup shortening
1 cup dry milk
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup baking powder.

For use, mix 1/3 cup water with 2 cups mix.

For pancakes, add 1 egg and 1 1/2 cups of water to 2 cups mix.

hootchi

Settler
A gather up of the ingredients.

2 handfuls of the flour(self raising?) :confused:
1 handful of milk powder ;)
approx half a handful of egg powder :)
spoonful of baking powder :D
enough water to bind it
brown sugar :rolleyes:
1 mosquito :eek:
dried fruit :)
...and a drizzel of rum :p

I think the amounts are about right? :cool:

edit- im too slow for hoodoo :)

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Milk powder ...
Would that be the same stuff you put into your coffee??

I know you can get some pretty posh stuff overhere in sachets ... for an even more posh price :eek: - so using a handfull ... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :(

Cheers,

shelly

Admin
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Deepest Wales
When we have made it in the past we heat up some syrup and dip the bannock in that. We have experimented with adding different ingredients, such as blackcurrants, chopped nuts, onions etc, bannock can be pretty boring on it's own!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE