Ray's Bannocks!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Fallow Way

Nomad
Nov 28, 2003
Staffordshire, Cannock Chase
Like with all cooking, there are soooo many ways to go about amking things. Personally I`m one for experimentation, with very little having ever gone wrong (shut up Rob :) )

With bannocks, if there is flour and something to help it rise and you have it just the dry side of sticky your not going to be far wrong, everything else is in there for personal taste or its about to go off :)

Oh and see Rob and Mel, the war might well be over, but there`s at least two of us fighting the corner of powdered egg :)

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I like mine drizzled with honey. :)

bannock0b.jpg

bannock2b.jpg

bannock3b.jpg

nameless

Forager
Jan 1, 2004
at home
Ok lads i'm a bit confused can anyone give me a simple recipe aka how to do it simply? cause my heads sorta hurting :confused:

Cheers
Adam

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I also couldn't get a decent bannock recipe from anywhere, and then I asked over on British Blades during the Great Crash.

There were a number of posts all following the same basic recipe, and I have still to perfect my bannock, but if you look here you will be on the first page where a bannock recipe is posted, and I think there are a few more an the following pages.

Try it out at home first, then go for it in the woods. Good luck with it.

Spamel

martin

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
nth lincs
Here you go Adam..
2 cups of plain four
1 cup of milk powder
4 table spoons of dried egg
4 table spoons of brown sugar
1 tea spoon of baking powder
2 hand fulls of sultanas

Mix it all together then add water slowly until you get a dough like consistancy. Put it in a pre heated pan squash it flat and then prop it up in front of your fire. Or 20 mins in an oven at 200 degrees.
Delish......

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
I thank you too for that recipe.

Can anyone let me know of somewhere you can buy dried whole egg. I’ve had a look and unless you want a lorry load you’re scuppered.

Ta

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
I thought after reading all the posts I would give it a go and here are the results of my first bannocks!
First a plain one
Bannock1.jpg

next with raisins
Bannock2.jpg

And finally with pork sausagemeat!
Bannock3.jpg

Bannock3b.jpg

Final thought - don't make these just before going out for dinner with the in-laws. The sight of a Yorkshire pudding totally turned my stomach!

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Nice looking bannocks Marts!

To imbed the image you have to upload it to a hosting site and then paste the link to the image in your message and tag the link with

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Thanks Hoodoo. I'll do that this evening then - can't remember how to access my web space from work.

Rhapsody

Forager
Jan 2, 2005
Aldershot, nr. Guildford, UK
I too can vouch for Match's bannock recipe! I tried it out on Friday to kick off an extended stay in the woods and I must say it came out a treat. I followed the recipe exactly other than that I made it using half a bottle of Old Hooky and I sprinkled a load of sugar on the top while cooking (so it caramelised and formed a lovely sweet crunchy topping). It would have been excellent made with raisins, but I hadn't taken any :(. Ah well, there's always next time!

Thanks a lot, Match; 'twas a good'un!

luxor1

May 23, 2005
exeter
Andy Brierley said:
I thank you too for that recipe.

Can anyone let me know of somewhere you can buy dried whole egg. I’ve had a look and unless you want a lorry load you’re scuppered.

Ta
i managed to buy some from a way and save shop. smallest amount they do is a kilo ( 10 pounds 26p ) i hope that helps.

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
Try asda, its in the baking section with the cake making ingredients 10 eggs worth. Its called supercook handy egg. doesnt cost a fortune either.
I tried rays bannock recipe but found it was very heavy and solid - may try again with less egg next time.

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
After reading all this I thought I'd have a go. I used a real egg-from a chicken even-and a drop of olive oil. Not bad, but could do with a little cinnamon or nutmeg I think. Must get some... Made one heck of a mess though of my hands. How the heck would you wash this lot off in the field without getting all Pillsbury on everything?

S

Skippy

i was watching Nigella Bites the other day and she used this type of bread in one of her recipes, unfortunately i missed the name of the bread coz i was paying more attention to her at the time. :p it was like a big square pitta bread on a roll, literally, she unrolled it and tore bits off. if anyone knows wot it was or what its called, cos it would be a great bread for weekend hikes etc... can be use as a wrap or to dip or whatever else.

S

Skippy

forget the last posting, i have found out the name of the bread....its called Lavosh...a very thin bread made for wraps and other dishes.

ronsos

Forager
Dec 10, 2004
you did well,even noticing what nigella(cue homer drooling sounds) was actually making.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE