Ray on the big read

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Hi,

Did anybody see Ray Mears on BBC2's 'The Big Read' last night.

He was championing Lord of the rings.

He even found time to build leaf shelter and light a fire using a hand drill.

Not so sure about his character voices though. :wink:

john

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I thought his Gollum was good. I enjoyed the places he was walking through, some of it was very dramatic.
I first read LOTR when I was 8 and have read it about 4 times since then, it really is a great book. And in many ways I think Ray did it justice, I would be interested to know how much imputed he had into the script he used.

Anyway, it was good to see him on TV, even from that I got to see some interesting things, even if I did not learn any more about LOTR :-D

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
Mind you, I don't think it was really about opening new insights into LOTR for those who have already read it. He did touch on some of the more easily overlooked points, though (I was a bit worried that this would be all about elves and dwarves and magic), and I was particularly happy to hear Ray talking about Tom Bombadil, the wonderful character who seems to be expunged from every adaptation, including Peter Jackson's films. Worse than that, Jackson has cut the entire ending of the book short, but I shan't start a major grumble now...

I thought it was a very creditable perfomance, and made me wonder what Ray is like telling tales around the campfire. Hopefully I'll get the chance to find out this winter, when I'm booked onto a Sweden trip with him.

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Hi,

I heard on radio 2 this morning that a trip to the arctic with raymondo is being auctioned off as part of radio 2's 'things that money carn't buy' fundraiser for childern in need.

But if Bigjackbrass is going then I guess it's something money can buy :wink:

I thought the programme was good.

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
Actually, Johnboy, it's more a case of being something that a lucky sod can win if he returns the entry form in time... :-D

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
bigjackbrass said:
I thought it was a very creditable perfomance, and made me wonder what Ray is like telling tales around the campfire. Hopefully I'll get the chance to find out this winter, when I'm booked onto a Sweden trip with him.

Then you will also meet a man called Lars Fält. Thats a man who can tell you a lot of good stories and a couple of good jokes.

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I enjoyed the LOTR presentation by Ray. As has already been said some of the locations he used looked realy fantastic.
I'll never forget the Gandalf impression Ray did on my intro to bushcraft weekend while we were struggling with an oversized 5 man firebow set - you realy had to be there.

Dave

P.S. I hope you have a great time BigJack

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
Thanks, I'm looking forward to it. Interestingly, I rarely travel without a copy of "The Hobbit" in my bag (I have about a dozen around the house, along with LOTR) so at least I know I'll have one thing to talk to Ray about. Which reminds me, I realised today that in the film Gollum has no pockets, but in "The Hobbit" he does. Must have rushed out of the mountain without his trousers.

John, the trip isn't quite the standard survival course, so as far as I'm aware it will be non-skiing. I certainly will be...

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
I was listening to Radio 2 this morning and they were auctioning that trip to the arctic with ray off.

£11K by the time I left the car!!! :shock:

Have a great time BJB :wink:

john

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
gutted! i was going to watch the big read thing this evening, sadly it hadn't recorded over the weekend!

cheers, and.

ditchfield

Nomad
Nov 1, 2003
Somerset
I've watched it twice now. My parents have just got freeview and on one channel, they repeat 3 big read things. the last 2 days have been ray :-D

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
701 on freeview is one of the BBCi channels.... (BBC Interactive I think the 'i' stands for... not sure though). The big read is on now (1am) and seems to be repeated throughout the night. It may be on earlyier aswell... I just havn't caught it!!!

Ed

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I was listening to Radio 2 this morning and they were auctioning that trip to the arctic with ray off.

£11K by the time I left the car!!!

It finally went for £15,000 :shock: :shock: :shock:

Dave

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
£15000 to watch Ray eat - bargain.

Seriously though it was nice of him to do it.

Next year we're auctioning Tony off as a sex slave - hope to get a tenner but we will had change handy!! :twisted: .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE