Ray Mears

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Uncle Alvah

Sep 27, 2008
Duncan NC
Well, I gotta tell ya'll that this Mears character is news to me.
Not surprizing, perhaps, considering where I live.
Sounds like a very interesting guy, but if his programs have been given much play here in the US, I've not seen any.
Still, with a hundred or so channels on the dish, I'll have to do a little searching to see if I can come up with anything.
Would love to see a few of his shows!

Chips

Banned
Oct 7, 2008
scotland
I don't like him at all anymore. I used to respect him alot, and he started my interest in bushcraft, but now, I think he's rubbish. He's trying to start fights to promote his programs, and he seems quite unfriendly from the interviews I have heard.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
First time I've heard that about him :confused:

He's coming to Scotland next week, so far I know that members of the forum are going to listen to him in Aberdeen, Edinburgh and Glasgow. No doubt they'll post their opinions afterwards :)

cheers,
Toddy

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
What's not to like about the guy ? i met him last year in Birmingham and found him to be really nice, he even had time for a quick chat after his show when he was signing books.;)

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
I don't like him at all anymore. I used to respect him alot, and he started my interest in bushcraft, but now, I think he's rubbish. He's trying to start fights to promote his programs, and he seems quite unfriendly from the interviews I have heard.
I've met him, and a nicer man you could not want to meet.
AS for starting fights, until I hear him say "Bear......" I'm going to keep ignoreing all the spin and BS from the media. They tell lies to sell their toilet papers.
I've spent hours listening to him talk and answer questions and it is clear from the way he speaks that he has respect for all people, from the new boy going out with all the gear (but no idea) for the first time, to the seasoned old trapper with just an axe, a tin mug and a old tarp.

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Asking about his reported comments about BG could be a good question for one of the members to put to him in Scotland. Would be interesting to hear his version rather than a tabloid one.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Regardless of what people think he has got many of us interested in this aspect of the outdoors and we should be thankful for that if nothing else, he may have his faults but then so do we all.

stevesteve

Nomad
Dec 11, 2006
UK
I'd agree with the positive comments below.

I heard him speak last year. He did respond to a question which was either thinly veiled or directly about BG (I can't remember the exact wording).

What he said was that when people start as presenters the production/direction staff try to get them to say more 'entertaining' lines. He reiterated that on Radio 2 at the weekend.

Ray has pushed back against this himself and tried to stay true to what he believes. His comments about other presenters was that he felt that they had allowed themselves to be directed to move away from what they might have wanted to demonstrate and more towards entertainment.

Cheers,
Steve

Traper

Tenderfoot
Mar 13, 2008
Poland
Well, I gotta tell ya'll that this Mears character is news to me.
Not surprizing, perhaps, considering where I live.
Sounds like a very interesting guy, but if his programs have been given much play here in the US, I've not seen any.
Still, with a hundred or so channels on the dish, I'll have to do a little searching to see if I can come up with anything.
Would love to see a few of his shows!

Try here
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ray+mears&search_type=&aq=f

:)

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Ive never seen him on TV and though I have a few of his books, they did not inspire me.

I prefer Mors, Lofty and Nessmuk.

mortalmerlin

Forager
Aug 6, 2008
Belgium (ex-pat)
I've met him, and a nicer man you could not want to meet.
AS for starting fights, until I hear him say "Bear......" I'm going to keep ignoreing all the spin and BS from the media. They tell lies to sell their toilet papers.

I think you're right there, most of it seems to be media hype.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK

I'd like to know what brought you to this line of reasoning Chips.
Having spent a while in Rays company (presence, not working for him) I can only see that hes a decent upstanding gent and I hope that anyone who think otherwise is sorely misdirected.

Ogri the trog

NatG

Settler
Apr 4, 2007
Southend On Sea
He's only human, and he's subject to some of the pressures of being a media personality- what he says can get twisted and edited to say something else.

i have great respect for him- mainly due to one event- after i went to see him talk, he stayed behind for a good two and a hlaf hours signing books, and everyone who talked to him he talked back to , he was interested, polite, friendly and above all, generous with his time.

i don't care what he's done on tv, but just for that i like him

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE