Ray Mears Wild Food book, any good?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
We have a discount book seller visit the ward every couple of months, next week he is offering Wild Food (hardback edition) for £6.99, is it any good

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
We have a discount book seller visit the ward every couple of months, next week he is offering Wild Food (hardback edition) for £6.99, is it any good

At that price I'd go for it. Amazon are doing it for about £10 (+ postage unless you can order something else to get super saver delivery), with list being about £20.

I wouldn't say it is an outstanding book, but it does have a lot of information in it. Although offered as a companion to the TV series, it doesn't follow the episodes. There is an introductory section of prose and pictures, with the bulk of the book being a long section covering many of the species of plant that were looked at in the series (more in the style of a text book). This makes for useful, if not very exciting, reading and I suspect that it is a collation of Gordon Hillman's notes on the various plant species and how they might be prepared to turn them into food.

Just my opinion, others may think differently.

Geoff

J

jamesHarrisonAkers

its a good book but if you want to get very indepth about all diffrent kinds of plants and fruits for food id buy a more in depth book beacause the wild food book dosnt list everything and is more of a read rather than a study if you get what i mean

mentalnurse

Apr 4, 2007
ashton-in-makerfield,wigan
i enjoyed reading the first part of the book but then it gets a bit same as when it just talks about each plant, you would need a great brain to keep it all in your head when out in the field but great as a book to keep looking back on or when you have seen something checking up on it. dont let me put you off i have the book and will keep it and keep going back to it over the years i think.

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
i enjoyed reading the first part of the book but then it gets a bit same as when it just talks about each plant, you would need a great brain to keep it all in your head when out in the field but great as a book to keep looking back on or when you have seen something checking up on it. dont let me put you off i have the book and will keep it and keep going back to it over the years i think.

I agree there Carl, to me it seems like it's a huge and very readable introduction by Ray then comes the plant stuff that is clearly Gordon's work which (sorry Gordon) lacks a bit of that 'must read on' factor. Just my opinion though.

But for £6.99 how could you not justify it a place on your bookshelf :naughty: :22: :)

Elendeor

Jan 12, 2008
Bath
yeah at 6.99 id definately buy it. As others have said its not definitive by any means, but the first section is an intresting read, and it gave me some ideas, both of new foods to try and new ways to try old foods.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Not a wild food book but I picked up a copy of

"How to Grow & Produce Your Own Food" by Charles Boff for 20p in a junk shop. Written during WW2, its a great read. Because of wartime restrictions and rationing, this book really helps you plan out a fruit and vegetable garden, as valid today as then I suspect

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
For nigh on seven quid, you'd be getting a good deal! I'd buy a job lot and stick them on the bay! Bugger it, everyone else is profiteering on there, why not you and I? There is a mention in Wild Food of a Field Manual for the future some time.

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
At that price I'd go for it. Amazon are doing it for about £10 (+ postage unless you can order something else to get super saver delivery), with list being about £20.

I wouldn't say it is an outstanding book, but it does have a lot of information in it. Although offered as a companion to the TV series, it doesn't follow the episodes. There is an introductory section of prose and pictures, with the bulk of the book being a long section covering many of the species of plant that were looked at in the series (more in the style of a text book). This makes for useful, if not very exciting, reading and I suspect that it is a collation of Gordon Hillman's notes on the various plant species and how they might be prepared to turn them into food.

Just my opinion, others may think differently.

Geoff

Spot on for me too, couldn't put it any better:D

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I would pretty much agree with the "reviews" so far, it starts well but then gets a bit heavy.
Buy it for that money!;)

Something which hasn't been mentioned however is the actual physical quality of the book itself.
I found to my surprise that Asda had the book for, I think £11. I cant remember now as this was before christmas.
I picked up a copy and started browsing and noticed that the finish of the pages and the actual image quality seemed a bit poor.I checked another six copies but they were all the same.It looks like some of the books you get in discount shops
Now, for £11, this didn't bother me too much but the R.R.P. on the cover is £20-
doesn't matter now, I bought the book anyhow- but then again, was this a batch of sub standard copies or is the whole run the same?

I'm comparing the book with "Bushcraft-an inspirational guide to, etc." in which the photo reproduction is very good.

As I say buy it for £7 -

regards
R.B

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
For nigh on seven quid, you'd be getting a good deal! I'd buy a job lot and stick them on the bay! Bugger it, everyone else is profiteering on there, why not you and I? There is a mention in Wild Food of a Field Manual for the future some time.

I did that a couple of years ago with BIG books full of photo's about Scott and then Shackleton and you can make a few quid, but its a lot of hassle to be honest.

These are the people
http://www.thebookpeople.co.uk/weba.../categoryPage_10001_10051_10025_100_10024__29

Handy a salesman coming to the ward though as we then have no postage costs

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
It is a good book - better than the Tv series and not too bad to read through. It isn't a field guide, more one for the book shelf though.
On the down side it is the worst edited book I've ever seen. There are half sentences and spelling errors in it.
It also offers a few very glib statements about things being poisonous.
I'm glad I've got it but it isn't the be all and end all.

Burnt Ash

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
East Sussex
Companion books to factual TV series are rarely very wonderful in my experience, but they are worth having to accompany the DVDs where these are produced, IMO. The books are usually available at heavily discounted prices not very long after the first broadcast/publication.

For cookery/foody TV series, it is useful to have recipes set out in print, though these are usually available from TV web sites for some time after the programmes have been broadcast.

Burnt Ash

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE