Ray Mears Super Tarp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sandbag47

Jun 12, 2007
northampton
i'm doing the dd group buy. the light weight tarps are 3mx3m. they have 19 loops.weights about 640g. and the cost is £27 pounds

Bogeyman

Tenderfoot
Feb 25, 2007
Heemskerk, the Netherlands
How on earth can they (Woodlore / Ray Mears) justify such a price tag?

Why don't they offer alternative (cheaper) versions next to these "high end" products.....that might be a better way in making people enthusiastic about starting in bushcraft.

Especially for the youngsters who start taking an interest in this way of life...it might turn them off of it with prices this ridiculous! :aargh4:

Sorry, had to let it out.................:sad6:

mortalmerlin

Forager
Aug 6, 2008
Belgium (ex-pat)
How on earth can they (Woodlore / Ray Mears) justify such a price tag?

Why don't they offer alternative (cheaper) versions next to these "high end" products.....that might be a better way in making people enthusiastic about starting in bushcraft.

Especially for the youngsters who start taking an interest in this way of life...it might turn them off of it with prices this ridiculous! :aargh4:

Sorry, had to let it out.................:sad6:

So you tell me how much you could knock one out for? (without using 3rd world slave labour). Given that the retailer will add on cost plus about 40%, the manufacturer will be wanting about 20% + shipping in this case I would guess 2 dollars sea freight. This will give you about 75 pounds for materials and labour. In the 1st world labour will cost you about 20-30 pounds an hour including all factory overheads.

We are too used to paying prices that do not reflect the value of what we are buying. As consumers we have a responsibility to make informed buying choices.

Bogeyman

Tenderfoot
Feb 25, 2007
Heemskerk, the Netherlands
Point taken!!:sulkoff:

But if that is the case, then I would really like to see this in the advertisements/product descriptions. Best would be to have it approved by some institute, like a trademark for fare trade such as www.mavhavelaar.nl.

But again MortalMerlin.....point taken....must learn more to see things in a different perspective, not just for my own benefit!:eek:

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
Why do we go through this EVERY TIME a new piece of high quality equipment comes out on the Woodlore website?

£250 for a knife:eek:

£100 for a shirt:eek:

£130 for a tarp:eek:

It is really quite simple. The Woodlore team want to make money...it is a business after all. We apply the same principle at work, we don't sell rubbish. That way the customers remain happy and we get an easier life not dealing with warranty claims etc.

I have had a few things from Woodlore and they will probably outlast me the way they are built and the reasonably light use they get. The quality of all items are top notch no doubt about it. There are alternatives that are cheaper and for the most part will do the same job, you don't want to pay £130 for a tarp? fine go find a cheaper one...that is the principle of a free market economy.

I'm after a new Gore-tex jacket after 15 years of faithful service from my Berghaus. Evil-bay not inclusive Woodlore is the cheapest source i have found for a Norrana Recon (had a look round and that's what i fancy). Without going into too much detail the customer service i have received from them in my communication with them is nothing short of incredible. The country would be in a lot better shape if more company's ran their business (that word again) the same way.

Rant over:soapbox: but threads like this are one of the reasons that i don't frequent this site as often as i used to.

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
Buying the supertarp is a false economy, as you will only want to buy more high price products.

Nick

Granted, however the main question then is...can you afford it?

I am married to a lovely woman who doesn't mind what i spend my money on as long as the bills are paid. We both have reasonably well paid jobs, no kids and few vices.

As i have said in another thread "What the hell, if you can afford it....why not!?"

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
It's £130 and it'll keep you and a few other people and kit dry for a long time i'm sure.

It's not like buying a £35,000 landrover to fit a lifestyle image... it's only £130!

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Granted, however the main question then is...can you afford it?

I am married to a lovely woman who doesn't mind what i spend my money on as long as the bills are paid. We both have reasonably well paid jobs, no kids and few vices.

As i have said in another thread "What the hell, if you can afford it....why not!?"

My original post needed a smile after the statement. :)

You may well be able to afford it but do you need it that is the question. If it was sold in a NON ray mears shop, people would probably not buy it. A parallel with that Iphone, a year later nearly half the price.

So, does it perform a lot better than std tarps ? Had time to use it in heavy rain like here in central scotland for two days ?

Nick

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
My original post needed a smile after the statement. :)

You may well be able to afford it but do you need it that is the question. If it was sold in a NON ray mears shop, people would probably not buy it. A parallel with that Iphone, a year later nearly half the price.

So, does it perform a lot better than std tarps ? Had time to use it in heavy rain like here in central scotland for two days ?

Nick

No but i have had time to use some of the other "expensive" items of outdoor gear that i have in Scotland (Highlands and Isle of Skye where we got married) and taking into account the gear i had and the gear others had, my stuff was worth every penny.

I stayed warmer and drier, i agree that £130 does appear to be steep for a tarp but there are alternatives that are nearly as expensive from other suppliers:

http://www.tamarackoutdoors.co.uk/dispprod.pl?filtera=Equipment List&filterb=Tarps&filterc=Tatonka

As to your final question i would say a resounding no to "So, does it perform a lot better than std tarps ? " I am sure that cheaper tarps will perform just as well. It's just down to consumer choice and what you are prepared to pay.

Would i pay £130 for tarp.....no, i have little use for one

Will i pay £300 for a waterproof jacket.....absolutely, i use them frequently

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
I've just bought two tarps from a plastics company
2.7mtr x 3.5mtr lightweight 100gsm
rope reinforced edging with brass eylets every metre
made in dpm colour
plus 50mtr of 4mm plastic twine
with the addition of a few tape loops sewn on at strategic places they will make an ideal roof for my hammock plus a dry area for my fire, cooking, and sitting area.

How much?

£9.85p plus £3.50 p & p delivered in 2 days!

Let me think £130 for one ....or two plus 50mtr twine for £13...............mmmmmh ................difficult?

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I recieved a very large Tatonka tarp from Lurch today, I also got some glow in the dark line loks and some reflective guy lines to stop somebody falling over them when drunk! It is the poly cotton version, absolutely huge and very pleasing on the eye (I cannot stand the sickly green colour, sorry!) and cost about 50 sheets. Lines were another tenner, I think. It was all paid for from my Bring and Buy items at the Moot and from the metal I took to the scrappies a few weeks back. I will be able to easily sling two hammocks underneath, as long as I can find the right trees! This is gonna be important as the kids will be accompanying me on more and more trips now. Hopefully, the height I will have the tarp above any fire will save it from sparks, and I'd only have one under the edge if it was absolutely sheeting it down and I needed to cook something.

130 quid seems a hell of a lot for the item you are actually getting, remeber you could get some Mors Kochanski string for that price and still have enough change for a Big Mac! ;)

People will pay what they want, for what they want. Be smart, let them pay what they want and you go get the cheaper alternative. I sold my old traditional sized aussie hootchie, not because I didn't like it or because it was too heavy, but because there is no way I can get two hammocks underneath it. They really do blend in well with our woodlands and are robust bits of kit. Saying that, the Tatonka is pretty damned nice too, and it weighs just about the same amount!

Bimble

Forager
Jul 2, 2008
Stafford, England
Better green than that 'no! no! look at me!':red: I climb mountains day glow stuff you can see from orbit.

Never understood why people who go hill walking in the UK dress so that that they can see that there are 500 other people on the same mountain.:dunno: Kind of kills the romance of mountain solitude.....:confused:

I agree that camo makes you look like a nut, but it helps with the bird watching.

Anyway, since when did how you dress reflect anything about the quality of your character? :nono:

When I showed the wife my new tarp she replied, 'wow, another green thing', .....sarcy cow!

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Brown, black, cocoon (whatever colour that is meant to be, but it sure looks purdy!), there are plenty of other earthy colours other than green! I tend to wear either brown or grey trews, I wear various different coloured shirts (Pendletons range from a reddish/tan sort of autumnal mix through blue to an off white/grey type, Dockers shirts in tan and black and green army shirt. OK, one is green! :D) and wear a Blackwatch patter Swanni. My green Ranger shirt hardly ever gets used now, I don't even know where it is at the moment!

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
It makes sense for mountaineers to wear garish bright colours, it helps to locate them should anything untoward happen. Flourescent green, yellow, and red show up well against the muted grays, browns, and greens of a typical mountain.
If your like me I like to blend in to the background in the woods and have a "leave no trace" mentality. But there is little chance that rescue teams would have to find me if I fell over.

These climbers are doing the sensible thing .... if they fall it's a whole different ball game so their choice of clothing has a life saving element attached.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
You don't have to fall to need finding... the number of sharp things we play with, you'd think we'd opt for the "better red than dead" attitude.

I guess the reason most of us blend in is to avoid other people... Most animals don't give a damn what colour we wear as long as we sit still and quiet.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE