Ray Mears Super Tarp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Not too keen on using a camouflage tarp, will stick to my Hilleberg, which is a little smaller but a whole kilogram lighter :D

Hilleberg Tarp UL 10 – 3.5 x 3.0 m/11.5 x 10 ft (570 g)

Mikkel

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2007
Denmark
Lightweight...1,5kg o_O
Too much of that kind of 'lightweight' equipment and I wouldn't be able to carry my backpack :D

I made one myself, measureing 3x3 meters, and weigh just over 400g. And beside a few hours of labour it only cost me like 25£.

verloc

Settler
Jun 2, 2008
East Lothian, Scotland
Yeah thats not too lightweight but then again i did make the conscious purchase of a tatonka tech cotton one that weighs about the same - but it's a lovely feeling being under it and i don't worry about the fire being too close.

But the price of that thing on RM site is scary :Wow:

I would hope it comes with a 70acre woodland to tie it to for that price.

mjk123

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 24, 2006
Switzerland
>>I made one myself, measureing 3x3 meters, and weigh just over 400g. And beside a few hours of labour it only cost me like 25£

Mikkel, what material did you use? I was thinking about making a large poncho/rainfly. 44g per square metre is very light indeed. Tatonka tarps weight in at 157g/m2. Even the Hilleberg UL is 56g/m2, and when I looked at the Hilleberg it seemed I could push my finger through it.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
and when I looked at the Hilleberg it seemed I could push my finger through it.

I'll grant that the material is very thin to look at, but it is surprisingly tough, several hundred nights in the forest so far and not a rip or tear to be seen...

...touch wood :D

mjk123

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 24, 2006
Switzerland
>>I'll grant that the material is very thin to look at, but it is surprisingly tough, several hundred nights in the forest so far and not a rip or tear to be seen...

I was tempted, but in the end I went for the XP5. IMHO perfect for hammocking. At 1.5m wide a little narrow, but I guess the material comes in rolls on multiples of 1.5m. Packs down to about the size of a nalgene bottle.Weighs about 700g including ridgeline and 6 tentpegs.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I actually like the auscam, I find it blends in much better than a large block of a single colour.

It's all down to personal preference though and I don't think I'd go for an aftermarket tarp in camo... the original hootchie is ok though.

Paullyfuzz

Sep 28, 2007
Manchester
Does anybody else think this is a blatant rip off ? £130 for a tarp, do they think were stupid. No dought some idiot will buy one.

lostagain

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2008
Windermere
DD tarp for me, got a 3x2 and 3x3. Admittedly a bit heavier than Mr Mears one but cheap as chips. Would like a lighter one but £130 is very very steep for a roof (or does that include Ray popping out and setting it up for you ??!)

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
I have a tarp, 3 by 2m, 350g, perfectly happy with it. it's beginning to show an occasional hole, but I should get 50 more nights out of it. And for £2.50, I'm happy.

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
I bought a very large tarpauline from Tarpaflex for about a tenner, it works fine and at the end of the day, £10 quid is diddly squat so dont mind too much if it gets torn or damaged etc.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The price of this tarp could prove to be a reality check for some, £130 or £10 for a tarp, why on earth are we paying this type of silly money ?

A hand made knife will cost a lot, and so it should, its hand made, but a tarp, or a shirt costing this type of money is crazy.

Please don't say your £90 shirt will last a decade, my German army shirt already has and cost a couple of quid, and my £6 tarp has done outstanding service in wet and high wind weather.

mortalmerlin

Forager
Aug 6, 2008
Belgium (ex-pat)
The price of this tarp could prove to be a reality check for some, £130 or £10 for a tarp, why on earth are we paying this type of silly money ?

A hand made knife will cost a lot, and so it should, its hand made, but a tarp, or a shirt costing this type of money is crazy.

Please don't say your £90 shirt will last a decade, my German army shirt already has and cost a couple of quid, and my £6 tarp has done outstanding service in wet and high wind weather.

Why pay good money for kit? Well I suppose one answer would be because it keeps money in the UK, Europe and in this case Ozzy Economy rather than sending it all to China and causing a recession (Oh look, we did). Someone has already pointed out the materials were about 25 pounds, plus a couple of hours labour and your up to 130 pounds selling price. We are just too conditioned into paying peanuts for imported rubbish.

And your German Army shirt I would guess is surplus and cost the German Army a lot more than a couple of quid new (probably 36 thousand with some of the creative accounting the military engages in :D ).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE