Ray Mears Kit Question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Seems a few of the more low-slung posts have gone missing from this thread? :dunno:
Please don't tell me the mention of "pants" and "tackle" is baned from this site too!!

Cheers

Don Redondo

Forager
Jan 4, 2006
NW Wales
I have my fathers Rolex GMT master, and would'nt be without it even though it needs servicing and gains a little.

Thing is, if you are a long way from anywhere and the battery packs in you have a worthless piece of weight. If your watch is mechanical this wont happen.....

it's as simple as that.

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
Presumably though a mechanical watch is more delicate and has more to go wrong than, say, a cheapo battery-powered Casio.

Obviously a nice mechanical watch is more pleasurable to own, but I would't say it's necessarily better for being in the bush... unless you're becoming a hermit and will stay away from all battery supplies for 10 years.

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
mark a. said:
Presumably though a mechanical watch is more delicate and has more to go wrong than, say, a cheapo battery-powered Casio.

My mechanical watch is 34 years old and still keeps perfect time, in those 34 years it's had a new bracelet and a new glass, you could however buy quite a few casios for the cost of it nowadays. :)
As with most things if you pay for quality it will last, and you can justify the cost by not adding to the throw away society, well at least thats what I say :rolleyes:

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
I've no doubt that a Rolex can outlive a cheapo Casio if well looked after, and I also agree that I'd rather pay more for something that lives longer and is better quality. But the issue is being in the bush - would you take your Rolex (or whatever) on a jungle trip? Maybe you do, but 99% of the time a Casio would do exactly the same task as the more expensive watch. And how often do batteries die on watches? Hardly ever, and they give plenty of warning that batteries are going low so you can replace them before you head off on your travels.

So basically I'm disagreeing with the assertion that battery-powered watches = dead weight. They could be, but then so can mechanical watches.

Btw, my own bushcraft watch is an automatic mechanical, so I'm writing from a realists point of view, not for one-upmanship.

Mark

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Although not a problem in the wilderness, a Rolex could be a trouble magnet in some urban areas.

One thing I have noticed is that when living outdoors, especially in summer, after a while I just about stop looking at my watch. Instead of thinking '8pm - better sort out camp' I think 'Sun's getting low - better sort out camp'.

I used to have a ex service mechanical Hamilton. Very clear dial and tritium lit, but the waterproofing was suspect and eventually it died. For the past 17 years I've worn a quartz Tag Heuer. It is currently on its third battery.

Klenchblaize

Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
mark a. said:
would you take your Rolex (or whatever) on a jungle trip?

Not if it were one in South London!! :lmao:

DSC01984.jpg
[/IMG]

Cheers

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
I choose to wear mechanical watches because I find that old-world technology very appealing. And truthfully, people that wear these watches are really no more on time than people that don't!

Kench, I love your Rolex. I'm still in university, and there's no bloody way that I could afford one...yet. One day, I plan on getting one! I just have a little Seiko automatic, but I had to save up for it for quite a long time. For me, it was a worth while investment.

Steve A, Yes, mechanics are generally a lot more delicate than these modern wonders. It's NOT a good idea to drop them or bang them up against objects or jackhammer through rock with them. Unless of course if you own a Vostok.

I shamelessly admit to doing all of the above with one of these. Over a years period, the amount of abuse my Vostok put up with still makes me laugh. Of course, it "died" eventually, but I only spent $50 bucks on it. And it was a 31 jewel self winding movement. (Thank you Russia!) Now I have my Seiko, and I'm paranoid about taking it into the bush with me for you see, I have the fear. The fear of destroying it. I miss my Russian beater.

Anyway, I think this post has just....gone haywire so I'm going to stop arguing my point. :(

Adam

Klenchblaize

Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
addyb said:
I
Kench, I love your Rolex. I'm still in university, and there's no bloody way that I could afford one...yet. One day, I plan on getting one! I just have a little Seiko automatic, but I had to save up for it for quite a long time. For me, it was a worth while investment.
Adam

Didn't get mine until I was 27 so don't get too hung up about it! Even then it was out of all proportion to what I could really afford but its funny what you'll sacrifice when you really want something.

I'm sure your wrist will be similarly adorned once you've paid back our Chancellor the money you put across the uni bar! :beerchug:
:lmao:

Only joshing

Cheers

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
addyb said:
Demographic,

:You_Rock_

Perhaps you are missing something there, but maybe that post of mine was one of those "Gawd, it's 6.30am and the caffeine hasn't kicked in yet".

I suppose the point I was trying to make is that with a mechanical watch, it's dependant on the wearer for it's life force. I can't really explain the feeling to you in words, it's just....nice. (But if you do own one, stop reading this post)

A mechanical watch isn't really artificial, and the fact that all of those intricate parts are working together in perfect harmony to achieve time is....perfection. If it stops, you pick it up, give the rotor a shake and it keeps on going. I've got my Grandfather's Rolex from the '40's kicking around, and it still runs quite well. A lot of my friends ask me weird questions like

"You're 21 man, why the hell did you buy that watch?" while they proudly display the clocks on their cellular phones.

I guess I'm a bit old-fashioned?

Cheers,

Adam

Thats fair enough, I was just being daft anyway :)

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
Adam.
I aint sure that youve had a satisfactory answer to the original question.

For my money, it would be .....whatever suits him best.

But, "value", "suitability" and "craftsmanship", would be real nice.! eh?

Ceeg

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Nathan Sturgess said:
Does any one know what jacket he wears in the four seasons episode about 25 minutes into the programme. I have seen a few people with these but forgot to ask what make/where they got them.

I think that its from Sweden and that he uses it while canoing, but I do not know the brand. I've tried one on though, quite comfy but fairly heavy, I wouldn't want to cart it around in a backpack.

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
sodajoe said:
I have all Ray Mears' books and DVDs and Lord help me I even bought his knife, so it's safe to say that I like what the guy produces.

But I think he is as much a gear-junkie as many others. If you look at his kit list in his Outdoor Survival Book and then compare it to his Bushcraft book then you can see for yourself just how much even Ray has changes his mind on what kit you should have. In one episode he can used more knives than a butcher for heaven's sake.
My belief is keep it simple. Besides, it's like the old maxim says that when you most need your kit, you probably won't have it.

"I learned how much of what we think to be necesary is superfluous; I leaned how few things are essential, and how essential those things really are."
Bernard Ferguson, Chindits, Burma 1943.
;)

Like, have you noticed that in past series, that he has fished with hawthorn thorn's and pop can's but if you look on the woodlore site they are selling a 150 quid [font=arial,helvetica][size=-1][font=arial,helvetica][size=-1]Shimano 'ultra light fishing outfit' :eek:
I cannot remember even seeing him us a rod before.

But then I also have all the books and DVD's and really like them. I Think I will just have to watch them all again and see if I can see him using them ;)
[/size][/font][/size][/font]

Angus Og

Nov 6, 2004
Glasgow
clcuckow said:
Like, have you noticed that in past series, that he has fished with hawthorn thorn's and pop can's but if you look on the woodlore site they are selling a 150 quid [font=arial,helvetica][size=-1][font=arial,helvetica][size=-1]Shimano 'ultra light fishing outfit' :eek:
I cannot remember even seeing him us a rod before.

But then I also have all the books and DVD's and really like them. I Think I will just have to watch them all again and see if I can see him using them ;)
[/size][/font][/size][/font]

It is a nice fishing rod though. Dont know about the rest of the stuff.

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
Angus Og said:
It is a nice fishing rod though. Dont know about the rest of the stuff.

Hi Angus,

I was not saying anything against the kit it does look good and is a good make just that is was more kit and is a £150 fishing kit very Bushcraft whereas hawthorn thorns and hobo fishing could be.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE