Ray Mears Kit Question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Does anyone know what sort of watch Ray Mears usually wears? A series of 10 episodes of his Bushcraft series made a run on our OLN channel and I've been watching it as often as I can.

I think it's quite a good show, and the only real complaints that I have with it are that I think he takes too much bleedin' gear with him, and I don't think that he gives the camera enough step by step instructions on how to do survival tasks.

Even so, I hope OLN starts airing more!

Adam

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I agree, he is a bit of a gear fiend. He uses about 3 or 4 different tarps in his bushcraft series alone, he has all these different goretex jackets, it amazes me how much different kits he has!

I've just finished reading Nessmuk and am starting on Kephart, not too sure what Kep would say, but Nessmuk believed in a very simple kit that would cover most occasions. Maybe we should all take note of what he says and try to get back to this minimal kit way of doing things, using the natural things around us to help improvise certain things.

Of course, I'm sure they wouldn't begrudge us a nice shiny new kelly kettle or a group buy on clickstands!!!!

capacious

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 7, 2005
Swansea
He wears the NATO G10 series watch with the calender: go to 'Essentials-Watches-Military,' it is the first you see; http://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/military/index.asp

It is great bit of kit - absolutely bomb proof - when I've been out on training the only thing that comes back undamaged is my watch :D I don't know how easy they are to get in Canada, but the genuine artcile are quite the rarity here (unless you enlist, that is :p )

Oh, and he has his own strap...

Jake.

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
spamel said:
I agree, he is a bit of a gear fiend. He uses about 3 or 4 different tarps in his bushcraft series alone, he has all these different goretex jackets, it amazes me how much different kits he has!
!

What you must remember is that a 10 minute clip of a tv prog might have been filmed over several weeks.
It is hard to wear the same gear for every take, especially if the staff of the Hilton where you are really staying don't get your shirt back from the cleaners on time.

sodajoe

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 17, 2005
Co Armagh
spamel said:
I've just finished reading Nessmuk and am starting on Kephart, not too sure what Kep would say, but Nessmuk believed in a very simple kit that would cover most occasions. Maybe we should all take note of what he says and try to get back to this minimal kit way of doing things, using the natural things around us to help improvise certain things.

:35:
I couldn't agree with that sentiment more.

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
More intreaguing, was how Kephart was so amazed that the British were at the forefront of the lightweight camping scene.... What with our ultralight tents, and sleeping bags etc...

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
That looks like quite the watch! I too, wear an automatic, but mine is a Seiko that I spent far too much money on. :cool:

I can't stand wearing quartz watches, I don't find them to be real enough. And I think the worst part of quartz/battery watches is the question of "How long will my battery last?"

Granted, in past years I've had watches where the battery has lasted up to five years, but I'd really hate to be stuck in the bush when my one source of time dies. As well, when your battery dies, you either throw out the watch and buy a new one, or have to take a trip to the mall to get a new battery. That thrown out watch and battery contributes to the world's garbage, and I don't agree with that concept.

With a mechanical watch, as long as I wear it daily, and have the movement serviced about every five years, it will never stop ticking. And I think that is VERY cool.

Adam

leatherneck

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2005
U.S.
Does anyone know what type of Undershirt Mears always seems to wear on his episodes? It's similar to a mock green turtleneck with a 1/4 zip. I'd like to what it is (is it wool, cotton, or poly?) and where I can get it.

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
leatherneck said:
Does anyone know what type of Undershirt Mears always seems to wear on his episodes? It's similar to a mock green turtleneck with a 1/4 zip. I'd like to what it is (is it wool, cotton, or poly?) and where I can get it.

From memory I have seen him in the odd norgie. Is that what you mean?

If it is it is 100% cotton with towelling on the inside.

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
leatherneck said:

I have seen him wear Ullfrotte 200g and Swedish army M90 shirt, bóth are very similar in design. The norge shirt is about the same as M90 just that the m90 is made of poly/cotton.

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
Viking said:
I have seen him wear Ullfrotte 200g and Swedish army M90 shirt, bóth are very similar in design. The norge shirt is about the same as M90 just that the m90 is made of poly/cotton.

Were they sell Ullfrotte 200g on the woodlores website so maybe a bit of product placement ;)

What difference would the M90 being poly/cotton make?

leatherneck

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2005
U.S.
Thanks for the info guys. But if his green undershirt is made of cotton or part cotton, doesn't this go against the rules of Bushcraft and survival........i.e. cotton kills when wet and damp?

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
clcuckow said:
Were they sell Ullfrotte 200g on the woodlores website so maybe a bit of product placement ;)

What difference would the M90 being poly/cotton make?

Ullfrotte is made of wool and polyester and are good when it´s really cold (-10 or colder) otherwise it´s too warm.

M90 shirts are poly/cotton, made for army use and to last a long time, are made to be used as a baselayer all year around, from warm summer days to cold days in the arctic. RM uses them in the Extreme Survival series when i nthe arctic. The mixture of polyester and cotton is so it will be stronger and last longer and to be washed in 95c many many times.

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
leatherneck said:
Thanks for the info guys. But if his green undershirt is made of cotton or part cotton, doesn't this go against the rules of Bushcraft and survival........i.e. cotton kills when wet and damp?

Does everyone wear only syntethics and wool then?
Why does it get wet?
If you sweat so much that you get wet you wear too much clothes and move to fast. If the shirt gets wet you change it, just like you do whe nyour socks gets damp.

Your clothes will only do 30% the rest is experience and knowledge.

Jjv110

Forager
May 22, 2005
Jersey C.I.
Viking said:
Does everyone wear only syntethics and wool then?
Why does it get wet?
If you sweat so much that you get wet you wear too much clothes and move to fast. If the shirt gets wet you change it, just like you do whe nyour socks gets damp.

Your clothes will only do 30% the rest is experience and knowledge.
I think you are okay wearing cotton depending on which layer of clothing it is. A base layer should not be cotton because it will get wet from sweat where your bergen comes into contact with your back, even when moving slowly, and then the garment won't dry unless you take it off and dry it. When the sun goes down you will be cold. I suppose it depends on climate.

If you sweat so much that you get wet, besides wearing too many clothes, it can also be because of the ambient temperature and the humidity. No matter how few clothes you wear, or how slow you travel, you will sweat buckets, rather like a sauna, if you are in a hot place.

It may rain hard forcing you to put on your waterproof, but it may still be 35 degrees.

There may be a river to cross. A synthetic will dry faster than cotton. Synthetics are also lighter in weight and remain warmer if wet, due to the above.

Even when driving, your shirt will be wet in the summer from sweating.

It's true, experience and knowledge play the biggest part, but the person will be more efficient if using the correct equipment. If he's cold and wet, his morale will be low.

Going back to Mear's kit, subtle advertising and sponsors has a lot to do with the vast array of items used during his program. It's all good kit of course but even if the programs are shot over several weeks, if it was you or me I'm sure we'd still end up using the same gear because we simply don't have the amount he does.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
spamel said:

He does.

Can't say I've ever really noticed...

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Still stuck in Nothingtown...
You've got to bear in mind that alot of the kit he uses is Woodlore (his own company) or kit that is sold on his website. Don't be lured into buying kit just because he uses it. I would be surprised to find that he pays full price (if at all) and you may find he has financial interests in being seen using certain items of kit.

Having said that, he's not going to use poor kit and what he does use is very good - but there are many alternatives.

Shop around and get what's best for you. :)

AUSSIE

Tenderfoot
Feb 11, 2004
Does anyone know what colour underpants he wears? Are they Olive Drab, DPM or just plain old white boxer shorts?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE