Ray Mears in Glasgow

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dr Onion

Forager
Mar 28, 2007
By Yon Bonnie Banks
Me and the mrs went long last night.

A very interesting evening - very informative - a few good tales from "behind the scenes" of his series and more detail about his helicopter crash from a few years ago.

We really enjoyed the evening and he came across as a very decent bloke with a real passion for life.

Cheers

Dr O

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Back from popping down the pub to pick up Toddy's 'chute. The guy sat next to me on the tube asked if I could smell burning. I hadn't noticed that the carriage was stinking of woodsmoke. :D

Sorry :eek: ........................:lmao: :lmao: :D
Yeah, it's pretty strong, sorry Josh, I ought to have packed a bin bag for it. Bet you didn't tell the guy it was a parachute though ;)

The talk was excellent :approve: all it needed was a mug of coffee and the chocolate digestives, lower the lights and we'd have totally chilled out.

He comes across very well indeed, a quiet, calm, capable, thoroughly decent man. Patiently answered questions, even mentioned the Crannog.......kind of a smiley moment since Russ and I had only just left the place a few hours before.
I did like the way he talks of, and considers, the peoples he works with from one side of the world to the other..........looking at the queue for book signing though he was in for a long night, hope somebody brought him a drink.
Would I recommend his talk to others ? Yes, quite happily.

cheers,
Toddy

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Big Q for the signing right enough but it moved along fairly quickly both myself and Robin got ours done. A very interesting and informative evening very enjoyable. I thought he dealt with the Bear Grylls question very well and didn't even kick the questioner in the Bo****ks once, that shown a crafty bit of restraint from him and a very diplomatic answer, well done Mr Mears.

Dr Onion

Forager
Mar 28, 2007
By Yon Bonnie Banks
Aye - the idiot with the Bear Grylls question was sitting about 4 seats along from where we were - we cringed big time!

Toddy - you're right about the dimmed lights and the digestives - we could've sat there for hours listening to him.

A good night and something a bit different for a Monday!! lol

Dr O

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
it was a great night ,apart from the heat ! the eejit wae the bear grylls quetions ,what a plonker my toes were curlin.hope your not a member ? :eek:

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Come on then, what was the question and how did Ray answer? Not every show will have a plonker in the crowd willing to embaress himself in front of everybody!

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
I'm going to be listening to RM speak in December at Oxford Brookes University (where he holds an Honorary Degree). One of my colleagues at work is an alumnus of Brookes and got the list of lectures before it went out to the public and managed to get us two (free) tickets for the lecture. Lucky me!

I'd thought of what is, to me, an interesting question to ask (not a Bear Grylls one) - I wonder if anyone has asked a similar one at any of his other lectures. I want to ask him to comment on the viability of practising bushcraft as a leisure activity in England, whilst remaining within the law.

I'll let you know what he says if I have the nerve to stand up and ask this in front of a crowded lecture theatre!

Geoff

David.s

Forager
Jan 27, 2007
Glasgow
www.myspace.com_evil_scrappy
I really enjoyed it, was a very good, informative night.

he's alot funnier than i expected, and very down to earth.

The bear grylls question was something about what does he think of programs that are about survival/surviving in the wild etc, and what he thought about bear grylls program kinda thing,

He basically said im not going to comment on bears show, and that he hates being associated with the term survival, unless he's teaching pilots/soldiers etc.

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Come on then, what was the question and how did Ray answer? Not every show will have a plonker in the crowd willing to embaress himself in front of everybody!

Not just in front of everyone but front row too, my Dad and I were sitting 2nd row pretty much behind him, I reckon he was a plant ;)

Great show, well worth it and my Dad enjoyed the talk and meeting a few of the faces from here too.

musicman

Jul 24, 2008
Scotland, Glasgow
I'd got tickets for this a good while ago and was really eager to go: well worth the wait, a great night, apart from that grizzly moment. Missed the signs about buying the books at the interval though, so a bit disappointed that I missed out on the signing, should have been more observant.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
The 'bear' asker was only a boy,obviously thought it'd be a good fun query:rolleyes:

Excellent speaker though was Ray,I usually attend 2-3 a month during winter and some can bore the pants off you.

The man did well.;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE