Ray Mears Goes Walkabout - Your Views

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nightwalker

Native
Sep 18, 2006
Cornwall, UK.
www.naturalbushcraft.co.uk
I enjoyed it as I have with all of Ray's programmes, however I did feel a little disappointed at how much history it was over wilderness-living skills. I found it all interesting dont get me wrong and I do find a mixture of topics of interesting but I think it was just a little too lob-sided for my own personal-preference. Of course I will be watching the future episodes and I do antisapate more interesting skills to come and meeting some tribesmen. It would be nice if there wasn't an hour long history story behind every episode to come, just a few with skills, camp & tribesmen etc.

He really is becoming more and more of a historian these days isn't he?

Also did anyone notice one of the backing-tracks halfway through sounded familiar? A calming tune took me a while to realise where I had heard it first!.. Earth Pilgrim - A year on Dartmoor. (I've watched that like 5 times already, it has some wonderful photograhy showing the beauty of nature through and through!)

MitchelHicks

Forager
Aug 29, 2006
London
It was a Good show I know people would like it to be more UK based but theres only so many shows you could do before you started repeating yourelf. So its nice to have a break every now and then for a while so you dont get bored. The thing I like with Ray is that its not just going from A to B but its the journey and the story behind the journey thats important which is what he explains. All in all a good show

Tonedef

Tenderfoot
Dec 23, 2007
Stockport
I liked the historical kit parts, however I would have liked a bit more of the Aboriginal method Vs European explorer methods, and how they have changed.

Just finished watching it on iPlayer. As has been said already, beautifully shot.

In my view, the balance was about right between kit & techniques, history & reason for being there.

Figured I might as well be the first to ask... anyone know where to get one of those nifty water heaters used to make the still, and if so how much? :D

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
Does anyone know what the knife he was using was 'the folder'? Might buy myself a dozen or so as an investment before they escalate to astronomic prices because 'Ray Mears uses these' lol :lmao:

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I enjoyed it generally, but agree with the comments about preferring a UK based series. It was good to see him making mistakes too, and I thought his comment with the stuck Land Rover scene, "this may look like we've set this up.." was funny! Who could that be aimed at? :D

In the museum scene, the belt was interesting and not just for it's very small size. It looked to be in three parts with two metal rings securing the leather along with the buckle. Anyone got any ideas what advantage the rings offered?

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
I enjoyed the show. Fantastic camera work. I didn't even mind the blatant Land Rover sponsoring too much. Less skills oriented - yes. But an interesting perspective on the hardships endured by those early explorers.

I did read the book beforehand and I like him moving away from skills oriented stuff to what he is doing now: Investigate how these skills were or weren't actually applied.

-Emile

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Does anyone know what the knife he was using was 'the folder'? Might buy myself a dozen or so as an investment before they escalate to astronomic prices because 'Ray Mears uses these' lol :lmao:

Was wondering who would be the first to ask this :D :D :D :D

Aaron

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2003
Oxford/Gloucs border
The one bit that did surprise me was during his conversation with the historian at the well springs - the man was commenting that John McDouall Stuart did not take an aboriginal guide or used any aboriginal technqiues for finding water on his expedition - to which Ray responded to the effect of - "So he just came up with his own techniques for finding water - I can only admire that". Seems a bit at odds with his usual ethos of holding the highest stock in native wisdom. Just my thoughts.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I really enjoyed it. The great thing was that, because he was filming in Australia, he offset the bushcraft techniques that are next to impossible to use in this country with a fascinating documentary about a very enterprising explorer. I thought it was a winning combination. His interviews with various local experts suffered from some very unconvincing and hammily staged questions. It might've been better to edit the conversation they had back in Bristol rather than crash on through with a clumsily scripted interrogation.

I do agree that it would be great to have a similar series dedicated, not necessarily to Britain, but to the northern hemisphere in general. But then he may get criticised for concentrating on the historical documentary side and shortchanging us on the bushcraft techniques aspect.

Poor bloke - he can never really win! But, as I said, I really enjoyed his first programme and will definitely watch the next.

mayfly

Life Member
May 25, 2005
Switzerland
I enjoyed it. I was half expecting to see a walkabout with Aboriginals, living off the land stuff, maybe that will come. But the broader historical and behavioural geography elements in Ray's shows are always really good, this was no exception. Chris

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE