Ray Mears, Alan Wood, Wooodlore knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Simon

Nomad
Jul 22, 2004
Addington, Surrey
reckon £30 - £50 for a rehandle and tune up , depending on condition and chosen wood. Got Thuya burr, Imbuya, Ebony, Eucalyptus, ash, figured oak, stacked beech and Wormy maple in stock .. can do single wood or combinations and inlayed work .. comes with an impregnated epoxy coating ;)

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Martyn said:
LOL, I didn't say I'd pay £120 for it Adi. :D
He he he ... but that's my kind of auction ... the price goes down!!!

Brynglas

I'm with Martyn on this, despite the Bison knives getting excellent reviews by those that have bought them, and the fact that they are first rate knives, Alan Wood is also a real master at his art and he dosent turn out anything but a first class blade. The knife just needs a bit of TLC and it'll be as good as new.

I'm still using knives that I've had for years, the dings that they pick up just adds to the character and feel of them, with a bit of looking after there's no reason why the woodlore shouldn't see you right for a very long time. The design of the woodlore dosen't appeal to me for my uses, but that's why Ray Mears designed it for himself, it's just that my uses are different.

:eek:\\:

James Watson

Tenderfoot
Jul 30, 2004
Salisbury
www.nativeawareness.co.uk
Hi All.

Thanks for all your comments about the knife.

Martyn said:
Actually james, I'm wondering why you're selling it? Is it because it's damaged and worn and you just want to swap it for a new knife?

Martyn I’ve actually been quite happy with the knife. I just feel that the blades a little too long for me. Also, I don’t know about you, but most people dream about future cars and holidays but I dream about knives, axes etc. I have a design for a knife in my head which I consider to be my dream knife. I haven’t much money so I thought I would try and sell the woodlore, tan one or two deer hides to sell and hopefully commission someone to make it for me.

When I initially posted my first email I was shocked by the reply of putting it on ebay for £200.Ironically, before I asked you guys I thought you would say around £70. Personally I couldn’t morally justify selling it for more than its worth.

Simon, thanks for your info. If I do sell my knife I’ll pass your details on.

Martyn, that’s one beautiful knife. How long have you had it? Man, I wish I could keep my blades in that condition. I always seem to get slight tarnishing on them, even after oiling them regularly. Any tips?

I’ve taken some more detailed photos of the knife, especially the blade as requested. I’ll get them developed tomorrow. Do you guys think you could take another look, and give me an opinion so that I can sell it at a fare price?

Thanks again,

James

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
I hear ya James, sounds reasonable. :)

James Watson said:
Simon, thanks for your info. If I do sell my knife I’ll pass your details on.

You may be better advised to take Simon up on his offer - his work is first class and the price sounds good. Try this on - value of knife = £70-£120, add £50 for new handles and tune-up, total = £120-£170, put it on ebay as superb condition "which it will be" and get yourself £200 to £250 depending on demand.

Martyn, that’s one beautiful knife. How long have you had it? Man, I wish I could keep my blades in that condition.

I've only had it a few weeks and i took that pic the day after it arrived. It's a custom I had made for me and was on order from last September. I think Alan made a few to that design at the time, but at £140 a piece, they got snapped up pretty quick. He'll make you one though, but it's back to his normal waiting time now.

I always seem to get slight tarnishing on them, even after oiling them regularly. Any tips?

Dont worry about the tarnishing, also known as patina, it's normal and expected and doesnt harm the knife at all. If anything it adds character. Just keep it oiled and it'll be fine.

I’ve taken some more detailed photos of the knife, especially the blade as requested. I’ll get them developed tomorrow. Do you guys think you could take another look, and give me an opinion so that I can sell it at a fare price?

Thanks again,

James

With pleasure, post the pics as soon as they're developed. They will help the sale on ebay too. Although as Adi says, a fair price is whatever someone is prepared to pay, so dont worry about that. just be honest about it's condition and some good pics help a lot.

good luck. :)

Burnt Ash

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
East Sussex
James Watson said:
When I initially posted my first email I was shocked by the reply of putting it on ebay for £200. Ironically, before I asked you guys I thought you would say around £70. Personally I couldn’t morally justify selling it for more than its worth.

A thing is WORTH what someone else is prepared to pay for it. If you wish to sell your property for less than its worth (or even, give it away), then that of course is entirely your right.

Burnt Ash

Simon

Nomad
Jul 22, 2004
Addington, Surrey
Martyn said:
I hear ya James, sounds reasonable. :)

You may be better advised to take Simon up on his offer - his work is first class and the price sounds good. Try this on - value of knife = £70-£120, add £50 for new handles and tune-up, total = £120-£170, put it on ebay as superb condition "which it will be" and get yourself £200 to £250 depending on demand.
Flatterer :wave:

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Martyn said:
Ironically, Alan Wood can make you a better knife to your own spec for less money. ;)
No doubt!
Only reason I didn't include him in my list is I've never been lucky enough to get my mitts on any of his work!
Cheers
David

Simon

Nomad
Jul 22, 2004
Addington, Surrey
a secret admirer asked me to make a handle blank for him to finish off, I thought i'd show you ... probably a bit more fancy than you had in mind :wink: This one is for a hidden tang scandi style

post-11-70350-handle_2.jpg

Simon

Nomad
Jul 22, 2004
Addington, Surrey
Hmmmmmm :35:

it's not engraving laminate, it's solid colour formica style laminate

oh and it's beech plywood ... you ought to know .. you've got some of it :p

James Watson

Tenderfoot
Jul 30, 2004
Salisbury
Hi

Here's my new photo's, that I took yesterday.

Knife1.jpg

Knife3.jpg

Martyn. Good advice about taking simon up on his offer. It's something to think about... trouble is, you know what will happen, I won't want to sell it. :) Do you think you could tell me some more about your knife. Did Alan give the design a name? I like the blade shape. Whats its dimensions, handle material etc?

You guys seem to know a lot, so I was wondering if you could give me some advice about a Damascus steel. Whats its pros and cons?

Thanks,

James

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Is that a secondary bevel I see on the blade in the top image?

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
James Watson said:
Martyn. Good advice about taking simon up on his offer. It's something to think about... trouble is, you know what will happen, I won't want to sell it. :) Do you think you could tell me some more about your knife. Did Alan give the design a name? I like the blade shape. Whats its dimensions, handle material etc?

James this is the thread on bcuk about Martyns knife and it links to his review on British Blades. It should have all the info you need. It is an attractive alternative to a bison bushcraft and around the same price.

http://www.bushcraftuk.net/community/showthread.php?t=2068

Bill

James Watson

Tenderfoot
Jul 30, 2004
Salisbury
Adi007 said:
Is that a secondary bevel I see on the blade in the top image?

Hi Adi.

It could be. :?: Is that a good thing? I use The Razors Edge sharpening kit. Which produced the "secondary bevel." As you can see from the second image I get it quite sharp. I usually test its sharpness by shaving the hair of my left arm. To my girlfriends horror :yikes: by the end of the year I have to start testing it on my leg hairs :rolmao:

James

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
James Watson said:
Hi Adi.

It could be. :?: Is that a good thing? I use The Razors Edge sharpening kit. Which produced the "secondary bevel." As you can see from the second image I get it quite sharp. I usually test its sharpness by shaving the hair of my left arm. To my girlfriends horror :yikes: by the end of the year I have to start testing it on my leg hairs :rolmao:

James
Well,
Looks like a secondary to me as well. Shouldn't really be there on an AW/RM so may ut off buyers wanting the pure article as there is a lot of work to do to put it back to the original grind.
Cheers
David

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
James Watson said:

James

It's not necessarily a bad thing, but it isn't how you got the knife, it isn't how Alan made it. It looks a big secondary bevel too, so it's gonna be hard work to put the single bevel back onto it. for someone to part with £200, it's got to be in "as original" condition.

The damage to the handle doesnt look too bad. To be honest, I really would consder paying someone to clean this knife up before selling it. Even the handle damage can be "masked" by a little judicious work.

James Watson

Tenderfoot
Jul 30, 2004
Salisbury
The damage to the handle doesnt look too bad. To be honest, I really would consder paying someone to clean this knife up before selling it. Even the handle damage can be "masked" by a little judicious work.[/QUOTE]

I think I will. :) Any tips for sharping future knives?

Bill thanks for that thread.

I think I've fallen in love :lol:

Thanks,
James

Oh Any info on damascus?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE