Ray Mears, Alan Wood, Wooodlore knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

James Watson

Tenderfoot
Jul 30, 2004
Salisbury
www.nativeawareness.co.uk
Hi All.

I’m thinking about selling my Ray Mears, Alan Wood, Wooodlore knife. I’ve got my eye on a custom made Bison Bushcraft knife. The Woodlore knife is about 3 years old and in good condition. There’s slight damage to the handle where, I dropped it. In slow motion!!! I usually have to point the damage out to people. I like to think it makes it a little individual. I was wondering how much you think I should sell it for? I’m not sure when I’m selling it. It all depends on how long Bison take to make my new knife. I hope not as long as Woodlore, their estimated time of arrival is July 2005!

Best wishes,

James

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
it might seem a little mercenary, but the market value on ebay seems to exceed the cost of a new one. with the waiting list for a new one being so long....

i'd start the bidding at about the 200 quid mark.

i've deleted the duplicate copy of this thread, btw.

cheers, and.

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Trying to reply to the thread you deleted there Sargey, very confusing. Was going to say the same sell it on the bay and you'll get 200 at least or make friends and sell it here to me for instance :wink: The condition will make a difference to the price but then again probably not on ebay.

Bison's wait is around 3 months at the minute I think.

Welcome to bcuk as well.

Bill

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Dropping it in slow motion usually cuts the price in half though. :lol: Now if you had done it so fast that no one could see it, that's a different story. :lol:

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Yep,
Its a common cause of hilarity over on British blades what they fetch on ebay, particularly as there are a whole host of folks over there like Shing, Guycep, Trond and many others (just listed those two as I have first hand experience of their work) who can make you somthing every bit as good, to your own spec, for less money than the new RM/WL costs! Yep its a good knife but plenty others are just as good!
Cheers
David

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Yep its a good knife but plenty others are just as good!
Haven't tried a woodlore, but I bet it's good. But we all know what they say: "the most popular way to do it, isn't always the right"... or something like that!? :wink: :)

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
Trying to reply to the thread you deleted there Sargey, very confusing.

:eek:):

sorry mate, i saw you there, but it's mostly due to adi's 50/50/90 rule. i had a 50/50 chance of deleting either thread, but it was a 90% chance that it was the thread someone was trying to reply to. :shock: :?: :roll: :eek:):

cheers, and.

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
Didn't realise what was happening until it was too late. Fing and jeffing that I had to write the post again but it came out better the second time anyway. Definitely the 50/50/90 rule.

Bill

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
dtalbot said:
Yep,
Its a common cause of hilarity over on British blades what they fetch on ebay, particularly as there are a whole host of folks over there like Shing, Guycep, Trond and many others (just listed those two as I have first hand experience of their work) who can make you somthing every bit as good, to your own spec, for less money than the new RM/WL costs! Yep its a good knife but plenty others are just as good!
Cheers
David

Ironically, Alan Wood can make you a better knife to your own spec for less money. ;)

The General

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
North Wales Llandudno
I would say it is a very good knife but would agree that there are better deals available elsewhere. Thing is, with the Alan Wood Woodlore, you are getting a very very dependable and proven product. It will not let you down and it will save your life if required. The branding only adds to the package.

I own one myself and think it is somewhat overpriced, but I don't regret paying over £200 for it as I think it is one of those knives that a serious collector needs to own for at least a little while! :rolmao:

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hi...

But isn't it correct that this knife only has been famous and wanted, because of Ray Mears?? I don't know, but that's my guess... :wink:

James Watson

Tenderfoot
Jul 30, 2004
Salisbury
What can I say, I was young and naive :rolmao: I do think it's a good knife, but I feel that the blades a little too long for what i prefer. To tell you the truth, I use a real ugly short bladed knife more than the Ray Mears. It's great. Made by a "Mountain man" that I met in the US a couple of years ago. When I say ugly, I mean ugly :lol:

I'll try and put a photo of the Woodlore on the site later on to day. Don't hold your breath though. I'm ok with flint, bone, wood and skin but when it comes to computers... :?:

Out of interest. who would you say the most accomplished knife maker in the UK is?

Best wishes,
James.

PS thanks for the welcome

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Martyn said:
Ironically, Alan Wood can make you a better knife to your own spec for less money. ;)
Yeah, there's something really hillarious about that. What is side-splitting is that Alan Wood can make a knife that's both cheaper and outperforms, say, the Wilkinson Sword Woodlore, and you will be getting a hand made knife rather than something that's come off a production line, and a knife that is backed by the reputation of the maker - I'm never seen or heard of an Alan Wood knife being released with an imperfect edge, rust or any such problems.

James Watson

Tenderfoot
Jul 30, 2004
Salisbury
Hi Guys.

I've eventually managed to get a photo on the site. It was a long journey but i got there. :) Unfortunately it's not the greatest photo. It's made the damage to the handle look 100 X worse. :yikes: Believe me, in the flesh it doesn't look that bad. I think it's due to the camera. It only has 3.2 mega pixels.... What ever that means :?: I'll take a photo with my normal camera and scan the image. hopefully I'll be able to do that by Monday or Tuesday.

Talking of ebay. How much have you seen the Woodlore knife go for? It seams a lot of money, if I were to put the starting bid of £200 :shock:

James
Knife2.jpg

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
James Watson said:
Talking of ebay. How much have you seen the Woodlore knife go for? It seams a lot of money, if I were to put the starting bid of £200 :shock:

No one who knows what they are about will pay £200 for that knife. It's years old, there is damage (looks like you've chipped off the birds beak????), the blade looks heavily sharpened and worn, as does the sheath. But some clueless chump might fork out for it. I would think you'd be very lucky though.

I would like to see a close up of the blade, that's more important than the handle IMO (handles can be replaced). BTW, 3.2 megapixels should be more than enough to give you a pin sharp picture. Play around with the settings and take 20 pictures, one of em will be OK. This is the kind of picture I would like to see...
awoodbbk01.jpg

I took that with a 2 megapixel camera, so your 3.2 should cruise a quality snap.

For that knife (judging by your pic), I'd be shooting for about £120 final bid (and if the blade is as worn as it looks in that pic, £120 would be pushing it).

My advice, stick it on ebay, put a reserve of £120 on it and see what happens. You might get lucky. Be honest about the condition though, or your ebay rating might suffer. ;)

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
eBay is eBay ... you can get what someone is willing to pay for it. It has little to do with the actual value of something or the condition of it. In fact, so many things seem to be sold on eBay using incorrect details that it amazes me that it is still a seller's market. However, the reason that things go for crazy money is that most bidders have no idea how auctions work (and if they were at a real, physical auction, they'd probably leave with a handful of beans and no bus fare home). They get caught up in the bidding rather than in getting a product. If you "want" an item too much in an auction, you are the loser, because remember, in an auction it's the person who is willing to pay the most that "wins".

So, you might get £300 or you might not make £100 ... depending on how the bidders feel.

Personally, it's a quality knife and I'd stick with it ... but that's me!

Martyn, you're generous :eek:): ... I'd the reluctant to pay more than £70 ...

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Actually james, I'm wondering why you're selling it? Is it because it's damaged and worn and you just want to swap it for a new knife?

You have options, have you thought about sending it to Alan for a new handle and regrinding? He will charge you for it obviously, but you'll get an "as new" knife back for a lot less than a new Bison knife. If Alan wont do it, pop over to www.britishblades.com and ask for someone there to do the work for you. You could pick the handle material of your choice and they should be able to clean the blade and grind up for you too. If it were my knife, that's what I would be doing.

As an aside, what do you think a 3 year old, worn and damaged Bison knife is worth?

I'm not saying it's a lesser knife, but it'll never have the aftermarket value of your Woodlore (not unless Roger becomes a TV star ;) ).

I'd stick with the knife you've got and get it repaired.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE