Ray and Bear come face to face

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

NikolaTesla

Forager
Jan 26, 2012
Uk
Ray, a very experienced man who gives knowledge as if he was giving it to his son, Bear, Stupid.

Bear just gets wow's on Born survivor, Ray actually teaches you.

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
I believe a large problem there was the use of large swamp tyres putting undue stress in the drive train.
Hovever...
"To keep us alive, supplies were brought in by boat, helicopter, parachute, pack ponies and porters. In all, over 10 tons

10 of rations, 15,000 gallons of petrol, 2,400 cans of beer, and
80,000 cigarettes, plus sacks of horse fodder, boxes of dynamite and mail were delivered by these means"

sounds like an interesting exped, im not sure they had enough beer though!

http://www.difflock.com/diffmag/issue5/darien.shtml

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Any day that has a pic like this taken has to be a good day,

1972%20Range%20Rover%20Darien%20Gap%20Jungle.jpg

:)

NikolaTesla

Forager
Jan 26, 2012
Uk
I'd suggest you do a bit of reading mate ;)

What I mean is Ray teaches you about real bushcraft, Bear just tells you how to get rescued... I used to watch Bear on discovery from morning 'til day, but then I found out about Ray, which is the real deal, they are not alike you can't even really compare them..

But Ray is better... ahah :)

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
What I mean is Ray teaches you about real bushcraft, Bear just tells you how to get killed... I used to watch Bear on discovery from morning 'til day, but then I found out about Ray, which is the real deal, they are not alike you can't even really compare them..

There you go fixed

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Survival and bushcraft are 2 totally different yet closely related things. Do you know anything about bear thats not from man vs wild? :)

What I mean is Ray teaches you about real bushcraft, Bear just tells you how to get rescued... I used to watch Bear on discovery from morning 'til day, but then I found out about Ray, which is the real deal, they are not alike you can't even really compare them..

Last edited:

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!

Have you fallen out of a helicopter over the Peruvian step, then had to travel to catch a train moving through the landscape surviving by your wits having to feed your self AND a film crew(because we are unable to differentiate between a TV show and reality here)?

NO?

then how are you in any way qualified to comment?

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
I think it is safe to say they have both found their niche in life. If push came to shove, I'd be happy to be stranded with either of them. And both have far greater knowledge than I do, they just demonstrate it in different ways.

nuggets

Native
Jan 31, 2010
england
Well i reckon bear would be a right good laff round the camp fire suppin a few tinnies and havin the craic with the lads :) Ive got ray down as an early to bed kind of guy snuggled up to a good book !!!

NikolaTesla

Forager
Jan 26, 2012
Uk
Have you fallen out of a helicopter over the Peruvian step, then had to travel to catch a train moving through the landscape surviving by your wits having to feed your self AND a film crew(because we are unable to differentiate between a TV show and reality here)?

NO?

then how are you in any way qualified to comment?

Have you? Exactly.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Have you? Exactly.

Its TV.... Not real life...:rolleyes:

Once you've been here a while you'll realize that the Ray v Bear debate is eternal on this forum. We like to hypothesize how they would interact with each other who's better etc etc etc... So statements like 'Ray is better' or 'Rays the real deal' etc is hardly ground breaking news TBH. However thanks for your contribution....

Terr

Tenderfoot
May 6, 2010
Scotland
Is Monty Halls really such a well known figure? He went to the same school as me and came in one day for a speech. I sat right opposite him at dinner and he seemed like a really nice guy. At the time at had no idea who he was as I had been in boarding school for years and hadn't watched tv since I was 12. LOL.

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
http://www.lro.com/news.php?sid=1191&page=1

Its always difficult when you get an invite that says dress - smart/casual. I think RM is more 'lounge suit', but BG hasn't made an effort at all, at least they've had a shave though.

Did anyone see the comment in Radio Times by Dominic West saying that RM "would take years to die if he never ate another thing". I used to think he was alright but there's no need for saying stuff like that. Its on the last page of this weeks issue.

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
A legend such as yourself John should be in the picture....
Dear lord! - I only just read this!
I do hope you are takin the micky :)
1/ Legend = leg end = 12" .... which has no corrolation with me in any way
2/ I am not in their league (looks like a 5-a-side soccer team - I am a Rugby man - and Union to boot!)
3/ I have only done print and Radio ... not TV (yet)
4/ I ticked the "no publicity" box on the form
5/ I only like classic Landies (mainly coz I have never owned one...)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE