Rawhide mould remover

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Help!
What's best to use to remove mould from rawhide?
It's a scraped, washed, madder dyed, and cleaned and stretched deerskin. It's sitting out in the big shed and I noticed patches of mould growing tonight.
I haven't oiled or moisturised the skin yet, I've been waiting for it to dry out a bit more first.
To be honest, I'm beginning to wonder about the practicalities of rawhide in a perennially damp Scotland :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Toddy

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Have you tried footpowder? An antifungicide one, shouldn't do any harm I would imagine.
Someone suggested a pot. perm. solution worked on bathroom mould, but obviously this would stain and don't know what it would do to the hide.
Just ideas I have had, if someone else asked the question I would suggest asking you! ;)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Ah now that's a neat idea :D
Actually, I would have suggested that someone with a fungised foot use teatree oil.............I've got a bottle of that, but I've also got some pure natural turpentine which is *native*.............thanks for the idea :You_Rock_

I've not got much experience of working with rawhide, I think I'm kind of wary it's just going to rot away. :rolleyes:

atb,
Mary

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Dunno how well it would work on rawhide, but saddle soap works wonders on mouldy leather. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE