Rawhide Container

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
Made myself a little rawhide container a little while back. Been keeping coffee and other bits and bobs like that in it for a while now. Made from one of the dog bones you get in pets shops and the just moulded with sand with a little carved birch stopper. Pretty fun little process.
null.jpg
[/URL][/IMG].
null-1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Thanks for looking :)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
That's a cool little container, would you say it's watertight? Or does it at least stop coffee from getting damp? (Actually are you using real coffee or instant will make a huge difference.)

did you treat it with anything afterwards?

Sorry for all the questions I just think it's such a cool little thing.

ATB,
GB.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
I thought he ment he kept liquid coffee in it. Still an awesome little project, very creative and clever.:)

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
I tried to make it watertight as that was my initial thought. When I made it I treated it all with beeswax and poured that inside. Annoyingly though some of my stitch holes were a little on the large side due to my awl and so there are holes from where the thread isnt big enough.

I was actually using a mocha mix of instant and hot chocolate, and that stayed perfectly dry in there with practically no leakage from the holes. Would the difference be due to the differing size of granules between proper coffee and the instant stuff?

No worries, and thanks!

Harry

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
Haha not quite liquid yet! But I am going to try and make a watertight one. Thanks it was good fun and I was chuffed with the end result.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I tried to make it watertight as that was my initial thought. When I made it I treated it all with beeswax and poured that inside. Annoyingly though some of my stitch holes were a little on the large side due to my awl and so there are holes from where the thread isnt big enough.

I was actually using a mocha mix of instant and hot chocolate, and that stayed perfectly dry in there with practically no leakage from the holes. Would the difference be due to the differing size of granules between proper coffee and the instant stuff?

No worries, and thanks!

Harry

No my reason for asking about instant V ground coffee is that instant is more readily detrimentally affected by damp. Real coffee may cake a bit but dry it and shake and it'll go back to grounds. Instant would be a staining sticky mess.

No I really like it, reminds me a bit of old musketry powder flasks.

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
No my reason for asking about instant V ground coffee is that instant is more readily detrimentally affected by damp. Real coffee may cake a bit but dry it and shake and it'll go back to grounds. Instant would be a staining sticky mess.

No I really like it, reminds me a bit of old musketry powder flasks.

Oh right well that makes sense then! But no there has been nothing like that. In the pictures that it is after holding the mocha mix for quite a few months and it hasn't been affected by moisture at all.

Thank you thats much appreciated, oh I can kind of see that actually.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
That's a really cool flask, it looks great and obviously works well....................that's the sort of craft I love to see, thanks for posting,..........atb mac

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE