Raw Fish HELP!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

greenears

Jun 23, 2012
Cheshire
Hi.
I'm 2 weeks away from a camping trip to Norway. Fishing is great over there and we normally catch cod, bass, salmon, trout, pollock and other strange things from the depths! I've always wanted to try them out raw but... should i avoid any of them, what part should i eat and should i marinate them in lemon or other sauce that will disinfect??
I'm also looking for delicious, simple, camp fire ways to cook them if the sushi doesn't hit the spot!
Tons of thanks.

Vulpes

Nomad
Nov 30, 2011
Cahulawassee River, Kent
Personally, I'd avoid anything raw altogether. Getting something nasty in your gut could ruin the entire trip or in the least leave you with an itchy bum. Last time I ate sushi it left me feeling dodgy for a good 6 hours. Didn't taste like much either...just cold, fishy nothing. My brother has had amoebiasis from uncooked food twice too, so that puts me off. I know some people eat thin slices of fresh fish fillet with lemon or soy sauce and I suppose 9/10 you'd be relatively safe, I just wouldn't recommend it. Better off smoking it.

Iona

Nomad
Mar 11, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Hi! Welcome to the forum :)I've had Bass raw (makes fantastic ceviche marinated in thin strips with lime/lemon juice, onions and chili) and salmon just with lemon and black pepper, think smoked salmon, super thin slices... The citrus juice starts to slightly cook them, you'll notice a colour change. No experience with the others, but you've piqued my interest, gonna test out my google-fu. ;)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Hi.
I'm 2 weeks away from a camping trip to Norway. Fishing is great over there and we normally catch cod, bass, salmon, trout, pollock and other strange things from the depths! I've always wanted to try them out raw but... should i avoid any of them, what part should i eat and should i marinate them in lemon or other sauce that will disinfect??...

When you say "trout" are you talking about sea trout or freshwater trout. DO NOT eat any freshwater fish raw. As for the saltwater fish, if you marinate them in lemon juice or vinegar (ceviche) they aren't technically considered "raw" anymore. The acid doesn't just disinfect them, it cooks them.

By the way, raw fish is "sushimi." Sushi is vinegared rice (which is usually wrapped around or in the fish)

Last edited:
I'm also about to go up to Norway, and will be doing lots of freshwater fishing.
We cook all our fish, but do sometimes make our own sushi (sashimi) from Salmon and Seatrout. What we do, on recommendation from both a Japanese friend and a Swedish fishmonger, is to freeze the fish first. Kills any worms, but obviously not an option on a camping / wild trip. Wouldn't go anywhere near raw freshwater fish though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE